Author Topic: trail gear springs  (Read 16334 times)

croberts

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
trail gear springs
« on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:47:06 PM »
just wondering what you guys think about these springs

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: trail gear springs
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:53:24 PM »
which ones are they imported or USA  :usa: ?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2006, 07:54:01 PM »
oh its a long  nasty story
but i can tell you  they MIGHT be as good  as Marlins, but Marlin stands by his stuff,  try and get some customer support from trailgear :headshake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:01:02 PM »
wait a minute where the hell r these things from again? China? US? Di-Pro? does anyone really know
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

croberts [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:11:21 PM »
i haven't heard anything bad about there customer support. anybody running these? how well do they flex and ride pics are good

croberts [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:15:43 PM »
is it just me or do all these lift kits look the same all pro marlin trailgear?

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:17:42 PM »
I have heard they are compairable to marlins springs.  I have also heard nothing bad from there customer support.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jun 04, 2006, 08:21:48 PM »

If you are refering to the fact that even the pictures are the same you'd be correct, but I can safely say all those images are from Marlin's site.

As to quality, Marlin used to have as a cheaper option imported springs but they didn't last very long before they either sagged horribly, bent or broke under heavy use. I believe they came from China, before you buy from any of the 3 you mentioned find out where they get their springs.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

SLOYOTA808

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -21
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Damn Kid Off Road
« Reply #8 on: Jun 05, 2006, 01:24:03 AM »
U.S all the way, no matter where you get them from...but, judging by the gigantor yellow sticker on my hood, guess where I buy my US of A springs from ???

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:01:11 AM »
Ive herd they are really soft, i've herd happy things and bad things... its all about what you want. Marlin still has the best front springs, they seam to last longer, but if you want to throw some cheaper springs in the back get TG.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 05, 2006, 07:06:40 AM »
Please keep in mind while reading this that I am a Marlin supporter every chance I get, but...

Everybody keeps saying how much better Marlin's springs are than All Pro and Trailgear when it appears that they are all about the same.  Gotrocks killed a set of Marlin "import" springs in a couple of weeks and either his front or rear Marlin "usa" springs in one trip to Moab plus a few weeks.  I think the current springs are still doing ok, but even with the excellent warranty support I am not very impressed with the product.

I'm in favor of supporting Marlin if they are the springs you want, but I wouldn't expect them to be significantly different the AP or TG.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jun 05, 2006, 10:39:57 AM »
why do you guys care if its import or american springs?  My "import"  rears up front flex a whole hell of a lot more than my "us" chevy rears and my "import" 86 toyota truck is a lot more reliable than my "us" 99 ford ranger with a third of the miles.  No i'm not japanese and biased

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 05, 2006, 10:42:56 AM »
but Marlin stands by his stuff,  try and get some customer support from trailgear :headshake:

please stop saying that, you have nothing to back that up with

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jun 05, 2006, 10:45:57 AM »
why do you guys care if its import or american springs?  My "import"  rears up front flex a whole hell of a lot more than my "us" chevy rears and my "import" 86 toyota truck is a lot more reliable than my "us" 99 ford ranger with a third of the miles.  No i'm not japanese and biased
  This is about "aftermarket" springs not stock springs from import or domestic vehicles.  Usually when people say "import" for springs it means China. It's funny how still no one knows where these springs are really from. :dunno:
RIP KYOTA

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jun 05, 2006, 11:36:52 AM »

The USA springs that Marlin sells are better quality than the non-USA springs that he previously sold.  All Pro has also sold the same springs.  I don't think anyone is saying that all non-USA manufactured springs are junk, but are specifically referring to the All Pro and Marlin springs.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jun 06, 2006, 09:55:26 PM »
SPENT SOME TIME TALKING W/ SOME OF THE GUYS FROM ALL PRO TODAY, TURNS OUT THAT THE ALL PRO AND MARLIN SPRINGS ARE MADE BY THE SAME PEOPLE AND ARE BASICLY THE SAME. THE TG AND IMPORT SPRINGS ARE MADE IN CHINA. the PROBLEM W/ THESE ( NOT ALL Chinese items) is that they are made from a inferior metal and are assembled in either china or Mexico because of this they have less quality control and sometimes a poorer quality. That being said I have spoken w/somebody w/trail gear springs and they are very happy with them, I have installed a set of allpro springs and the guy who runs them is very happy and i have yet to hear anything bad about Marlins springs.....so ...go w/your gut :beerchug:

shermota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Jan '05
  • thanks be to Marlin.....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jun 12, 2006, 04:28:58 PM »

From what I understand, Marlin was supposed to go into buisness with trail-gear. Something happend and it didnt work out. In the process Chris Geiger went to work for Trail Gear. As far as I know trail gear was/is the supplier for alot of marlins suspension stuff. I dont know crap about all-pro, so I cant compare that. So baiscally springs are the same. The only difference is who you are buying them from. That said.........

Honestly by them form Marlin, his shop is WAY more helpful. In fact Chris Geiger leaving and going to trail gear was probably a benefit to marlin, becaue everytime i went to the shop and dealt with him he made it seem as If it were an inconvienice to have someone ask him questions. Several friends of mine have reiterated the same thing. I also got the same vibe both times I went to trail gear, where . Besides that, Marlin has been around a long time and I think He deserves more loyalty from toyota owners. He will go to no end to help someon out, just the kinda guy he is. Just my $.02
Idealism is what precedes experience; cynicism is what follows.

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jun 12, 2006, 04:54:30 PM »
I'm wish there weren't so many threads out there regarding this issue.  But in saying that there are so many opinions about it.  I personally have had the import springs and had the US springs.  Frankly the import springs for me failed in about 4 trips snowwheeling on them.  Remeber what I said SNOW WHEELING.  NOT ROCK CRAWLING.  I don't know why they failed so quickly and had very good customer support getting another set of springs from marlin.  They sent me a US made set and like blackdiamond said earlier they failed in a week at Moab.  Now the front set was the only one that failed and I still don't understand what happened.  I have 2 friends in my club that run the marlin 4" springs as well.  One friend has had them on now for a few months with no problems at all.  Another friend had the same thing happen to me in just a few weeks.  Both sets were the US made springs.  I just think that my buddy and I some from a bad batch or something.  This is very wierd beacuse no one has had this much problem with the US made stuff from what I've been hearing.  I since have gotten a third set of front springs to replace my US made set.  Marlin is very good about standing behind his products and I support him mostly because I know that if I had a problem he will take care of it. 

If I were use another set of springs I would honestly run a hybrid set fo rears up front.  I have a truck setup this way as well and really like it.  Now for the rear springs there are so many options.  I don't think there really is a clear answer out there to be said.  Just do your research and go with what you feel is best for you.  If I had to buy from one of the 3 it'd be Marlin hands down.

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #18 on: Jun 21, 2006, 09:07:33 AM »
Does trail gear have a website?
1980 SR5 shortbed pickup (Project Rust Bucket)

rocktoy83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 69
  • Male Posts: 505
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jun 21, 2006, 11:29:24 AM »
Trail-gear.com is the website

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Jun 21, 2006, 12:59:02 PM »
thanks for the link

Is Marlin tied in with them somehow?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #21 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:44:10 PM »
thanks for the link

Do we really want to go there again?

Oh well.
« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006, 02:21:11 PM by Rocksurfer »

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #22 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:55:56 PM »
thanks for the link

h0nke, just out of curiosity, what makes you believe that we are related in some way?

Seriously, I am not asking anything else, I just would like to know if your first impression was that we were related in some way.

?
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

CruzrDave

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 441
  • Male Posts: 4,631
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Jun 21, 2006, 01:58:25 PM »
I just discovered this thread.

Our US springs are manufactured to our specs by Bett’s spring company in San Leandro, California.

The import springs are just that.
Taking back America, one part at a time! :madeinusa:

crazywb

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 31
  • Male Posts: 467
  • Member since Jun '04
  • 92 Toy short bed
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:08:51 PM »
I just discovered this thread.

Our US springs are manufactured to our specs by Bett’s spring company in San Leandro, California.

The import springs are just that.

At this point I'm not ashamed to admit that OUR Import springs ARE made in China.  With that said we offer a higher end U.S. line, We leave the choice to the customer's 

Thanks  CJ

« Last Edit: Jun 21, 2006, 02:21:47 PM by BigMike »
I'M BACK!!!!!!!

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #25 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:22:38 PM »
Looks like I might have hit a rough spot here my fault. Havent been on the board in awhile im guessing this has been hashed out before.

BigMike - I thought they might be tied in with yall because there website shopping setup reminded me of Marlin's. And I see they are in Fresno which is where I think yall are at if I remember correctly. Lots of similar
products.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #26 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:27:33 PM »
Here's the info you need bring a big bag of :popcorn:

http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19686.0

h0nke

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '05
  • need $$$$ for parts
    • View Profile
    • Firth4X4
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #27 on: Jun 21, 2006, 02:32:29 PM »
Ahhhhh thanks for the info Rocksurfer.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2205
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #28 on: Jun 21, 2006, 03:31:05 PM »
h0nke, just out of curiosity, what makes you believe that we are related in some way?

because there website shopping setup reminded me of Marlin's......Lots of similar products.

Thankyou!! Exactly what I wanted to hear.
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #29 on: Jun 21, 2006, 06:04:24 PM »
thanks for the link

NO
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way