Author Topic: Brake issue.  (Read 3601 times)

mycollegetoy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 60
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling like a new born
    • View Profile
Brake issue.
« on: May 27, 2006, 05:05:02 PM »
Alright so recently I was driving around and all of a sudden as I went to hit the brakes they went almost all the way to the floor before they worked...I've had this happen before and knew that they needed bled....air in the lines...well sure enough I went to start at the  rear and about 80% of what came out was air when I went to bleed em'. I thought this was odd...so i went tried the front, and it came out fine. I came to find out that my Master Cylinder was gone. Replaced it, and they bled fine, but when I went to drive it...the rear passenger brakes locked up on the drum. It was very hot to the touch. I knocked it off with a hammer, cleaned out the springs and all the brake stuff, then went out to drive it and started shaking real bad and felt like it was dragging to one side..went to feel the rear drums again and they feel fine, but now my fronts are giving me problems...what's going on???? Anybondy? Sorry so long.....Real quick I have checked my tires are they are fine, so the shaking is not from misalignment...and there is also I high pitched squeel like metal on metal. Pads are new, brakes are bled....e-brake not draggin...what could it be...any help would be greatly appreciated..
Dustin
If you aren't going all the way, why even go at all?

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
Re: Brake issue.
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2006, 05:10:05 PM »
Oh and for your info....I have an 87 standard cab short bed with an 84 or 85 straight axle. Gears are new and show no signs of malfunction, oil is clean with no shavings (just in case this helps) it is a 4cyl. with manual tranny....Also, when I was trying to replace the rear brakes, I thought they would be for a 4cyl. axle but found out all my springs and stuff were exactly like the kit for the one ton...does this sound right??

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2006, 05:38:36 PM »
sounds like you got a mastercyl  with a residual valve for the rears,  so  its still holding pressure  on the rear brakes, also  what mods have you dont to the lspv
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2006, 06:02:11 PM »
by holding pressure do you mean catching up still? because the drums felt fine to touch and I was able to pull them off just fine after I cleaned them, so I don't think they are my problem anymore...now my front rotors are the solid ones and when I went to touched those to see if they were okay...they burnt me..I figured because they were not the slotted ones to allow more air flow...could my rotors possibly have warp and now that I have a new master cylinder on it's causing my pads to catch up? First started with the issues in the rear and now seems to have moved to the front....also, not too sure what lspv means? Sorry.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2006, 06:15:43 PM »
LPSV= Load proportioning sensing valve
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 06:34:02 PM »
this is the little valve located up under the bed right? for this I have not done any mods...it does look like there is a rod that comes out of it that probably went to the axle or something that just hangs there.....is there nay mods I could do to the valve that might help?

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2006, 06:45:59 PM »
Your LPSV is located on a bracket above your rear axle. it controls the braking  proportions between front and rear. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=20144.0
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2006, 06:51:34 PM »
tie it all the way up against the bed
if its hanging down  your not getting any pressure to the rear brakes,  so the fronts are doing ALL the work
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2006, 06:54:01 PM »
right...it controls the amount of braking when you have weight or no weight in your truck...I have done no mods to this at all...except for that hard line that was cut off that used to go to the top of the diff...other than that I have done nothin...I replaced the brakes, the spring kit in the brakes, the mastercyl..I'm getting good flow when I bleed the brakes, it's just hangin up on something and puts off a loud squeel noise...this the squeel could be from warped rotors..but the shakes...It's hanging up on somethin

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2006, 06:55:11 PM »
Thanks for the idea..I'll do that

if its hanging down  your not getting any pressure to the rear brakes,  so the fronts are doing ALL the work

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 06:56:42 PM »
Does your steering wheel shake at all with your foot on the brakes? if so you need to turn your rotors.

And do you get any "feed back" though you brake pedal with your foot on it?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 07:08:50 PM »
yes my steering wheel does shake with my foot on it..my driver rotor has grooves in it from the moron before me...I plan on getting some vented rotors for it when I replace them instead of turning them.  I'm thinking my high squeel noise is from the rotors being warped...I do get some feedback through the brake pedal when my foot is on it...

eightyfive

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 232
  • Male Posts: 552
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2006, 01:17:23 AM »
did you get oil onto the rotor? if so, you might have some hardspots on the rotor causing the shaking. my solid rotors are also pretty much toast...also just waiting on parts and more knowledge on swapping the vented ones on.
._________________________________________.
||____________||____________||___T0Y0TA__||
||____________||____________||____________||
1985 TOYOTA 4RUNNER

some modifications here and there....

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2006, 05:36:53 AM »
I could have maybe got some on there when I changed out the felt pads the other weekend...I'll check again but pretty sure they don't...but I guess even a little bit matters...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 28, 2006, 07:24:37 AM »
yes my steering wheel does shake with my foot on it..my driver rotor has grooves in it from the moron before me...I plan on getting some vented rotors for it when I replace them instead of turning them.  I'm thinking my high squeel noise is from the rotors being warped...I do get some feedback through the brake pedal when my foot is on it...
rotors are warped  but  i wouldnt have them turned  it just makes things worse in the long run

i have some 86 calipers i'll sell you cheap

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2006, 05:38:34 PM »
rotors are warped  but  i wouldnt have them turned  it just makes things worse in the long run

i have some 86 calipers i'll sell you cheap

Hey coyote, sent you a PM...

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2006, 06:09:23 PM »
Are both the front's still holding pressure after it you've let off the brake pedal?

If it's just one side I would say you have a bad rubber line,but if it's both I'd say you have a bad master cylinder.
It's probably sticking and not releasing the pressure from the fronts.
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2006, 06:19:08 PM »
Hey coyote, sent you a PM...
got it dude,  pmed you back

kilercl0ne

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 14
  • Member since May '06
  • noway bro
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2006, 07:53:45 PM »
stop the insanity time 4 an up grade get over to kragen and get a set of land cruiser rotors and calipers hupefully your hubs will work but if not put those on the list , think about this what if your brakes don't work whats the worst that could happen ?

mycollegetoy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2006, 08:23:52 PM »
stop the insanity time 4 an up grade get over to kragen and get a set of land cruiser rotors and calipers hupefully your hubs will work but if not put those on the list , think about this what if your brakes don't work whats the worst that could happen ?

Wow, I don't know where to begin with this statement...First of all, I am planning on upgrading, I even mentioned it in a previous post (reply #11) and why make more work for myself by having to get new hubs??/ mine work just fine, it's my brakes I have issues with so why not replace parts that allow me to use the hubs I have..and finally, your quote about what's the worst that could happen if I don't have no brakes was funny...but I don't think you intended it in that way....wierd post...but thanks for the idea about checking into kragen....

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2006, 08:26:58 PM »
:bat:

killerklone,   dont make me do it :nonono: