Author Topic: Gotrocks Dream build  (Read 18125 times)

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
Re: Gotrocks Dream build
« Reply #30 on: May 28, 2006, 09:41:12 PM »
thats what I figured, I just wondered what equipment would be used. 

Whats a rolling chassis run roughly?

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

Paulie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 28, 2006, 11:24:13 PM »
after you get the Rig, take it to Mike Kash (Crash) hes hella good at wiring. good guy too.
85 SR5, ARBs, Hi-steer, 35" Krawlers...has most of the right parts

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 29, 2006, 01:04:26 AM »
after you get the Rig, take it to Mike Kash (Crash) hes hella good at wiring. good guy too.

well I was hoping to do some of the work myself, I hate to have this mostly built for me but I don't have the expertise quite yet.  I was thinking about asking Crash about doing that for me and we'll see I don't know yet if I want to do that

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 29, 2006, 01:05:27 AM »
Whats a rolling chassis run roughly?

well it all depends on what you want them to do for you at the shop but around 4 to 5g's

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2006, 10:40:40 AM »
I found a picture of a FJ cruiser grill that someone used.  Dang it I thought maybe I'd be the first one.  This buggy was off the PBB and I'm friends with the builders brother.

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jul 17, 2006, 08:43:55 PM »
Sooooooo..............

whats the progress here?  have you started? in the works?  thinking about it?!  thought about it?!   forget it?!

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jul 17, 2006, 10:19:05 PM »
I know he just made it to seatle to check out his sn frame. They were just starting on it I think. So hopefully here soon hell get started up on it again. Hey Chris I know youll chime in here so when you do let me know when you need some help im itchin to work on something bad. Im still tryin to figure out which way I want to go with a rig. Give me a call here sometime.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jul 18, 2006, 12:19:44 AM »
THEY STARTED MY FRAME!!!!!!

well actually guys I have been working on part it here today.  I am cutting down my front 60 now and converting it to 6 lug.  I just picked up a rear 60 and am cutting it down as well and making it a semi float with 35 spline Moser shafts and making a 6 lug out of it as well. 

The reason I haven't updated this in a while is because i didn't exactly want to post up every idea that I was having while I was waiting for them to build my chassis.  The frame was started on Friday and I talked to them today and they told me that the main frame is all built.  All they have to do now is just put the straight pieces in.  I am having them build mine a tiny bit different then the other 3 seaters because I want the 3rd seat to be completely covered and extend the rear roof part back.  (pictures will fallow once I have some emailed to me)

I am taking my axles down tomorrow to have them regeared with 5.38's and Detriot in the front and ARB in the rear.  I decided now to run flanges instead of hubs up front as well.  I will try to get some pictures up for you guys to look at while I am gathering more parts.

Oh I also bought some 39" Krawlers for a sream deal of $600  They have around 80-85% tread left on them.  The awesome thing now with having 6 lug axles is that I can run my other 3 sets of tires on it as well. 

Sunday at the WEROCK event up in Goldendale I am going to be taking my axles and engine to the event and give them to Trevor and Jason (owners for SN Fab) and so they can mount my stuff to make it a roller.  At the rate that things are going I think I'm going to have it done by the roundup so Jon I might just be giving you a call here and ask for some help to get it all done.

Theres lots more info that I'm forgetting at the moment but I will be updated this now very often now that it is being built.

Snowrunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 146
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Snow God
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jul 18, 2006, 10:31:14 AM »
Sounds like things are comin along really good there. Cant wait to see some it come together thats going to be a sick buggy. Im going to be in town this afternoon/evening so ill give you a call and stop by.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jul 19, 2006, 12:21:07 AM »
well bad news.  fiberglass FJ hood, grill and cowl won't fit my frame.  The guys at SN fab are putting one on a rig right now and they told me that it will not fit.  So back to the drawing board on figuring out a skin to use.  I went down to the junk yard today and saw a TJ hood that was beyond the repair for a good replacement part but good enough for a buggy. I know what you guys are thinking a JEEP grill.  I feel the same way but I don't really have an option right now and for only $20 for a grill and hood its a deal I couldn't pass up.  I really want to get my buggy finished in time for the roundup and I don't want to cut down a good FJ hood and grill for my buggy quite yet.  The guys at Twisted Customs (the fiberglass hood company) told me that they are going to be making a full length hood and they would chop it down and re fiberglass it together for me in about 3 months.  So I haven't given up the idea of my Toyota skin yet.  I threw around the idea of a Taco hood and grill but again I am trying to save money now and just go with the jeep one until I need to replace it with something different after I roll it a few times. 

my chassis is near completion today when I talked to them and the only set back they are having right now if redesigning the back section for the third seat the way I want it. 

The tranny cooler arrived today and my PRP seats should be arriving hopefully in the next few days.  The axles are going to be setup by Thursday and my tranny goes into the tranny shop to have a manual drive body put in so I can stay in each gear manually. 

My list of parts from summit in the mail consist of
Harnesses
Fuel cell (I opted for a 15 gallon one for long weekends)
Shifter
Rear axle winch (2000 LBS)
Line locks
Tranny cooler
Heater for those cold days and to keep my fiance warm

and a couple other things that I'm forgetting at the moment

go ahead and ask me any questions or give idea on how I should set up some of the stuff for my rig I like hearing ideas you guys have

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jul 19, 2006, 07:12:31 AM »
Heater for those cold days and to keep my fiance warm

Fiance: A betrothed man

Fiancee: A betrothed woman

You might want to keep this straight...pun intended.   :rofl2:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jul 19, 2006, 03:15:05 PM »
thanks bd for keeping me straight

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 23, 2006, 09:07:09 PM »
well got a update for you guys and gals.  I just took all of my parts to the Goldendale WeRock event today and dropped them off with Trevor and Jason of SN Fab.  Seeing buggys compete all day long got me really giddy to get my buggy done.  They already fabbed up my chassis and it will be a roller this week.

So far the list of parts that I have are,

98 Vortec 4.3
TH350
Dual 60's with 6 lug conversion cut down to 64" Front Detriot with Yukons and Bobby long Joints Rear ARB 5.38's
PRP Seats
Warn 9500 TI winch with Rockstomper winchline
Grant Steering Wheel with Quick disconnect
Full hydro steering setup single 2"Ram
15 Gallon Fuel cell
39" Krawlers
TJ hood (I know I'll put a FJ hood on as soon as I can but for 20 bucks I can't argue)
PIAA lights
Griffen 2 core large Race Radiator
Flexalite Tranny cooler for a Motorhome with fan and thermal switch

What I paid for and am waiting on is my Atlas that I ordered 3 weeks ago its a 4.3 case with 32 spline output shafts

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jul 23, 2006, 09:11:25 PM »
Theres more parts but I can't remember all of them right now.

Here's a few pictures for you guys to look at on my chassis so far.  Tell me what you guys think.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Jul 23, 2006, 09:13:28 PM »
some more

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jul 23, 2006, 09:14:48 PM »
and more

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jul 23, 2006, 09:16:13 PM »
and the last ones

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jul 23, 2006, 09:17:01 PM »
so tell me what you guys think so far and ask any questions that you might have

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Jul 23, 2006, 09:34:25 PM »
what i want to know chris...is how in Gods name can you afford all this stuff??? my runner took me a year and its my last toy ever...wanna adopt me?

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Jul 23, 2006, 10:11:51 PM »
Looks like they're getting busy with the cage, what size tube are they using?

Looking good so far!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jul 24, 2006, 09:45:58 AM »
what i want to know chris...is how in Gods name can you afford all this stuff??? my runner took me a year and its my last toy ever...wanna adopt me?

well when It came to affording it with my 4runner I had my current built one from my daily driver and my built 87 at the time just had a bad rebuild on the engine so I didn't have to spend any money on it to get it running.  I also had 2 other trucks that I sold off and made some money off of. So yeah my 4runner really didn't cost me anything to build.

This buildup I took a loan out to build.  I had been talking to my Dad about building up my 84 Ex cab that I traded my roomate rent for and when i started to add up all of the parts and costs it was getting a little over my budget that I had.  I wanted to build it up like Shambs and truggy it out.  I was wanting to link the suspension and do all that stuff.  Well I haven't done that yet and I don't feel comfortable to do something that big until I have seen or helped someone else build one from start to finish and know that it wouldn't be unstable and unsafe.  My dad agreeded with that and so I called up SN Fab and asked them how much it would be to setup a linked suspension.  2 grand for each end. That was way more than I wanted to spend and so I asked them how much their chassis was.  $2500 for the chassis.  From then on it seemed like the logical way to build it because by the time I bought a bender and started to bend all the tube myself and buy DOM material I would have almost that into my cage work, not even considering the cost of my suspension.  My dad told me that he would help co-sign on a loan with me so that I could build this current project.  No its not coming all out of my pocket at one time. 

Sorry for the long explanation but thats how.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Jul 24, 2006, 09:52:32 AM »
Looks like they're getting busy with the cage, what size tube are they using?

Looking good so far!

yeah they had the cage all together in 2 days.  They know how to build these fast.  If you can tell from one of the pictures they are doing another one right next to mine and turning it into a roller as well.  They are using 1.5" .120 wall DOM for the cage.  I can't remember what the links are made out of but I'll post that up here soon as well.

on a side note did anyone from the NW or anywhere for that matter get to go to Goldendale rockcrawl this weekend.  It was awesome.  Its the first actual rockcrawl comp that I've attended and it was really cool.  I dont' know if I'd want to thrash my rig that hard but its fun to see other guys do it.  I got to meet Bobby Long personally and chatted with him for a while.  He's a really cool guy to talk to and he told me that they are going to be making some new products soon that should be pretty cool.  It will be cool to wheel with him down at the roundup.  I also got to see Shannon Campbell and a few other big names make the rookie guys look like fools out on the courses.  Its so wierd to hear those ecotec engines whine up with either turbos and just accelerate so fast. 

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:10:23 AM »
well when It came to affording it with my 4runner I had my current built one from my daily driver and my built 87 at the time just had a bad rebuild on the engine so I didn't have to spend any money on it to get it running.  I also had 2 other trucks that I sold off and made some money off of. So yeah my 4runner really didn't cost me anything to build.

This buildup I took a loan out to build.  I had been talking to my Dad about building up my 84 Ex cab that I traded my roomate rent for and when i started to add up all of the parts and costs it was getting a little over my budget that I had.  I wanted to build it up like Shambs and truggy it out.  I was wanting to link the suspension and do all that stuff.  Well I haven't done that yet and I don't feel comfortable to do something that big until I have seen or helped someone else build one from start to finish and know that it wouldn't be unstable and unsafe.  My dad agreeded with that and so I called up SN Fab and asked them how much it would be to setup a linked suspension.  2 grand for each end. That was way more than I wanted to spend and so I asked them how much their chassis was.  $2500 for the chassis.  From then on it seemed like the logical way to build it because by the time I bought a bender and started to bend all the tube myself and buy DOM material I would have almost that into my cage work, not even considering the cost of my suspension.  My dad told me that he would help co-sign on a loan with me so that I could build this current project.  No its not coming all out of my pocket at one time. 

Sorry for the long explanation but thats how.
thats how i built the runner...good job man, you better be at mcr5, ill be rollin in the rock-caddy :angel:

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »
oh don't worry I was number 10 to sign up for the roundup.  Are you going to head in earler than friday? I'm trying to find a few guys that want to wheel some before the roundup. 

If I don't get my buggy done by then (I really hope I do and it looks possible) I will be taking my rockcaddy as well.  The runner in on jackstands getting a little TLC from the 36hour buildup.  I am changing a few things uner it and replacing my 2nd set of marlin springs.  I just think I got a bad set or something they shouldn't go bad that easily

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:23:43 AM »
were tryin to go in thursday night, you drivin down from washington?? maybe you can meet me here and well convoy down....unless my rig is already in tahoe, it might be, my mom lives there

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:27:59 AM »
If you look in the "Rig Gallery" you'll see Rudy's 2nd gen buildup. I'll be rolling in that more then likely... i'm running like mad today to get parts together. Just went to get my driveline built, called up Summit and ordered the fuel cell and mounting hardware.. next will be fuel lines and all the tools to bend and flare them.

I'm sure i'll run into you at the roundup, hopefully your wheeling that beast!

............ hopefully i'm wheeling my own rig   :crossed:

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:31:16 AM »
you're right near medford aren't you?  I'm actualy going to be down in medford next week for a couple of days.  It would be cool to meet you in person and figure out if we wanted to convoy down or what.  I think that from eastern washingtont that going down I5 is a little out of the way but my plans aren't in concrete yet.  I haven't been to the rubicon yet and would love to get a couple days of wheeling in before the roundup if possible and go with someone who's been there before.  Is toybuilt going to have his 4.3 swap done by then and I'm guessing he's coming to the roudup.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:32:32 AM »
If you look in the "Rig Gallery" you'll see Rudy's 2nd gen buildup. I'll be rolling in that more then likely... i'm running like mad today to get parts together. Just went to get my driveline built, called up Summit and ordered the fuel cell and mounting hardware.. next will be fuel lines and all the tools to bend and flare them.

I'm sure i'll run into you at the roundup, hopefully your wheeling that beast!

............ hopefully i'm wheeling my own rig   :crossed:

what size fuel cell you using.  I wanted the biggest that I could fit in my rig so 15 seemed like a nice number for those long weekends.

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:40:42 AM »
you're right near medford aren't you?  I'm actualy going to be down in medford next week for a couple of days.  It would be cool to meet you in person and figure out if we wanted to convoy down or what.  I think that from eastern washingtont that going down I5 is a little out of the way but my plans aren't in concrete yet.  I haven't been to the rubicon yet and would love to get a couple days of wheeling in before the roundup if possible and go with someone who's been there before.  Is toybuilt going to have his 4.3 swap done by then and I'm guessing he's coming to the roudup.
ya ill prolly be around, hit me up...541-324-4730...wanna buy a tool box while your here??

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Jul 24, 2006, 10:41:40 AM »
Im going to go with this one.

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=RCI%2D2171A&N=%2D128260+115&autoview=sku

Its a 17 gallon, im going to mount it all the way in the back, best thing about this one is that it's only 7" wide so it wont take up much space in the back.