Author Topic: Gotrocks Dream build  (Read 18139 times)

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Gotrocks Dream build
« on: May 19, 2006, 10:48:17 AM »
Well the 36 build was fun but I just have to build something now that will not break.  Or at least not break easily.  I've talked about it now for quite some time and now I decided to actually start a thead to get some opinions  on what you guys think I should put into it. 

I have a sb 350 that is built with an est. 350-400 horsepower in my shop right now.  Its  carbed and I DO NOT want a carb in my rockcrawler.  I've looked into fuel injecting it but its just so expensive for the kit.  I looked into propane conv. and don't want the added height above the carb for the dual setup and price again.  So.... I found a 4.3 vortec for $900 complete out of a 99 S10 blazer. 

I've been told that the 99's are harder to convert because of a fuel pump issue and the secruity system that they come with..  Does anyone  know anything about this??

Besides the engine I'm using a 350 tranny and Dual toy cases with stock ratio. (Have)

60/14b combo both already have 4.56 gears

The 60 is getting Yuokon cromo axles with Warn 35 spline hubs and a ARB (already have  the ARB)

Rear 14b is getting a disk brake conversion, it already has a detriot. (no cost already have)

Suspension will be Rears up front and 63" chevey's out back.  I wanted to link it but due to money being an issue I'm going with springs for right now and it will get linked later with fox air shox. (Already own the leaf springs)

Tires will be 42x14x17 IROK's on H2 Champion beedlocked wheels (not purchased yet)

A ARG Saginaw Ram assist steering will be up front helping out with steering as well. (already own from when I had my jeep)

I'm bobbing the bed, possibly dovetailing it.  Repaiting the whole truck and putting a cage of some sort on it. 

Here's what I need from you guys.  After reading my list what do you think I should improve or change from my list. 

I have 5 grand to work with in my budget and the only parts not bought yet are:

D60 steering arms and links
Axle shafts and hubs
Tires and wheels
possibly a engine
« Last Edit: May 21, 2006, 01:01:32 AM by gotrocks »

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
Re: Gotrocks Dream build
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2006, 01:46:13 PM »
wow no one has any comments??

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2006, 03:08:56 PM »

I have 5 grand to work with in my budget and the only parts not bought yet are:

Axle shafts and hubs
Tires and wheels
possibly a engine
Let me get this straight, you have 5K to spend on the above items? :hammerhead:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2006, 03:18:24 PM »
yes, and whatever else I need to get to finish the build like metal for the cage

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2006, 03:22:54 PM »
 :psss:

How about spending some of it on some  :bling:

:date:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2006, 03:38:08 PM »
don't worry about that its coming soon

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2006, 04:50:41 PM »
It sounds like an awesome build, but I could see you going over your 5K budget quickly. The build up of the D60 including the ARB could be pricey. 42 Iroks and the wheels and you might be over the 5K. :twocents:

Maybe I missed this too, what trans are you going to run? Maybe go with an Chevy auto and a single t-case?  :psss:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

Paulie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2006, 05:41:37 PM »
It sounds like an awesome build, but I could see you going over your 5K budget quickly. The build up of the D60 including the ARB could be pricey. 42 Iroks and the wheels and you might be over the 5K. :twocents:

Maybe I missed this too, what trans are you going to run? Maybe go with an Chevy auto and a single t-case?  :psss:
the iroks and some weldon beadlocks will be about $1300-$1500. i can talk to my buddy that works at ARB to possibly get you a discount on some stuff youll need.
85 SR5, ARBs, Hi-steer, 35" Krawlers...has most of the right parts

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2006, 12:54:17 AM »
that'd be sick, check on that if you don't mind and let me know

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 21, 2006, 12:57:35 AM »

I already have the ARB,  Wheels are going to be H2's and I priced it out so with the beadlocks I should be into them about $1000 and $1400 for tires.  I already have the dual cases and my trans is a turbo 350. 

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2006, 01:02:02 AM »
Axle shafts and hubs
Tires and wheels
possibly a engine

Read this thats all I need still

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 133
  • Male Posts: 3,414
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2006, 10:11:55 AM »
Sounds like you're going in the right direction. Only advice I can give is that you're going to be kicking yourself in the ass having these 1-ton's and not going links!

Also when you do go links remember that ram assist might have to go because you'll have issues hitting the oil pan. Check out Truggy (Toyon40's) rig... he's got springs and set them up RIGHT.. has TONS of flex!  same with slorunner85...  If I was going springs those are the two i'd be talking to about setting up the suspension.

Also I'm wondering if axle wrap will be an issue with such a heavy axle?   make sure you leave some leaf's in those packs so they've still got strength.

I'd just go links right off the bat, yea the build will take a big longer but you won't have to worry about all the potental prob's.

R.I.P to my Papa, I miss you pops......

Knowledge is power  www.pirate4x4.com/forum

New Buildup in process 85' 4runner "Bad Decisions"
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=52566.0

Check out my 1-ton build up thread
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22600.0

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 21, 2006, 02:20:07 PM »
well I'd love to go links but I'm afraid that I won't have enough money to do it that way.  I have looked a lot at toyon40's rig and am going to use some of his ideas for my build.  When I do link it I'm going to just go full hydro and get rid of the hydro assist.  The ARG kit I have is a saginaw box that was normally suppose to belong on a Jeep TJ  when I had mine.  Marlin put a Saginaw box on his and it seems to work just fine. 

I know I'm going to be kicking myself for not linking it but hey if someone wants to donate a few bucks I'd do it.  HAHA

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2006, 08:49:20 PM »
well I'd love to go links but I'm afraid that I won't have enough money to do it that way

Are you in a rush to get it back and running?  if not take a few months to get the $$$ and go link w/ full hydro.

My steerings around $1500 and if you do the links yourself you'll probably only spend around $1000.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2006, 08:59:21 AM »
yeah I'm doing everything myself.  My goal is to finish it before the roundup.  If I don't get it done by then I'll take my runner to the roundup (not taht I wouldn't have fun with it).  I've got a couple friends who have done linked setups and I might have them come over and help out.  We'll have to see.  Maybe I"ll suprise you guys and link it.  who knows

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2006, 09:38:49 PM »
don't you live in WA?   sooo your cruising down for the Roundup?

You need to link it so I can compare!

Any progress?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 26, 2006, 12:22:50 AM »
well plans have changed now.  I just sold the truck tonight and bought a 4.3 vortec today.  I decided after you giving me a hard time about not  linking it that I really wouldn't be happy unless I just did it right from the begining. :smack:  I've been wanting a linked suspension ever since I sold my TJ and knew that if I didn't just go all the way this time I woudn't be unhappy until it was a buggy. :screwy:  I priced it almost all out and figured that the buggy would be the way to go for me. :clap:  Don't worry I still am a toyota guy at heart  :yesnod: but for my hardcore days I need something that I can roll and not worry about it to much.  I hope you guys don't kick me off the board now for building a non toyota based rig this time  :slap: but it just wasn't going to be my "dream build" if I didn't go all the way.

BTW SN Fab is going to be setting me up with a 3 seater.  they are going to set it up as a roller chassis and I will be putting my finishing touches on it.  Right now they are 2 months out and I own't be getting mine until the 1st week of August. 

Here are a few teaser shots for you to look at.  I planning on skinning it with a toyota of some sort (not sure which one yet) don't let the jeep hoods fool you guys,  I won't put one on if I can help it.

This is about how wide mine will be (axle wise)

It will be skinned similar to this one

Paulie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 26, 2006, 01:18:34 AM »
atleast its the right guys and based on toyota skins. i dig the cruiser buggys. better front clip than Jeeps.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:12 AM »
atleast its the right guys and based on toyota skins. i dig the cruiser buggys. better front clip than Jeeps.

I agree.  I talked quite a bit to trevor at SN Fab and I think I will be very pleased with their work.  I can't wait to go see one of the rigs in person.  I saw one of them at SEMA this last year and thought it was pretty sick. 

Now does anyone know of a FJ hood, grill and cowl for sale????

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2006, 10:37:35 AM »
What do you guys think about me cutting down a TACO hood and grill for the skin?

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2006, 10:39:11 AM »
Here's a toy based rig that they did. http://sn-fab.com/projects/Jay/index.html

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2006, 10:18:35 PM »
I've been wanting a linked suspension ever since I sold my TJ and knew that if I didn't just go all the way this time I woudn't be unhappy until it was a buggy.

I said the exact same thing, unfortunantly my budget didn't intel a full on buggy so i'm in the "half way" point... eventually i'd like to go full buggy but that'll be some years down the road.. i'll just slowly turn my 82' into a buggy more then likely...

this is gonna be a bad ass rig!  I can't wait to see the rolling chase once you get it, I imagine this is going to cost a bit more coin but it'll be well worth it. You gonna be ready by MCR5 still?!

Btw thats a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE biatch!

(Z)=======O=========(Z)

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2006, 12:15:25 AM »
I said the exact same thing, unfortunantly my budget didn't intel a full on buggy so i'm in the "half way" point... eventually i'd like to go full buggy but that'll be some years down the road.. i'll just slowly turn my 82' into a buggy more then likely...

this is gonna be a bad ass rig!  I can't wait to see the rolling chase once you get it, I imagine this is going to cost a bit more coin but it'll be well worth it. You gonna be ready by MCR5 still?!

Btw thats a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE biatch!

(Z)=======O=========(Z)

well I haven' set up a linked suspension yet, and even though I know I'd be able to figure it out sometime or another I didn't want to mess around with it and not get it right.  There are 2 things I don't half a**, suspensions and breaks.  I figured that if I sold all my parts that I had been collecting I'd be able to get enough money with my loan to make it happen.  I'm looking to sell 2 sets of tires right now and have sold over $2g's in the last week.  I'm deffinatly a lot closer money wise now.  I am hoping to get it done my MCR5 but might have to bring down my runner for the trip.  My runner is by no means a dissapointment on the trail but just not what I really want for hardcore crawling.  I want to keep the body somewhat straight and drivetrain in good condition.  I drive it almost every day and hate it when I break something.  I will deffinatly keep this post updated when things change.  I'll get some pictures of the engine on here sometime this weekend.  I called Jess at highangle and he told me that he could help me swing a deal if I bought the stak case and d-shafts from him.  I'm going to go with 1410 ujoins at the axle and flanges at the case.  He said he'd up the tubing thinkness for free if I bought it all through him and give me a disscount on some parts.

I hate waiting though now.  I've been playing the price is right game now finding parts.  I've got a shop locally that wants me to buy most of my stuff through them and they are very competitive for the most part on thier price but found a few vendors on the PBB that ahve been lowering their prices to beat theirs.  So far I have my front 35 spline yukons down to 538 shipped hub to hub.  Not bad if you think about it.  Superiors are going for a grand hub to hub.

I need to start a poll with you guys

TACO hood and grill or FJ40 hood grill???  Or something I haven't thought about yet....anyone know of a wrecked FJ cruiser hood yet???
Star voting I need to buy it soon.

Paulie

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2006, 02:32:47 PM »
Here's a toy based rig that they did. http://sn-fab.com/projects/Jay/index.html
Thats now my buddies Stevs buggy, that front clip is long gone. that buggy has changed alot over the years. But the taco front clip sounds sick, might be able to pull it off getting it narrowed. Look around on pirate for the FJ40 stuff. seen some on there once in awhile

Youll be pleased with Jason and Trevors work. i pop by the shop sometimes and amazed at there work.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2006, 02:53:06 PM »
Go with a 4340 rear output shaft.  You will need it with the horsepower, strong axles and big tires.

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2006, 03:50:41 PM »
Go with a 4340 rear output shaft.  You will need it with the horsepower, strong axles and big tires.

I'm not using a toy case anymore, I'm using a STAK case or Atlas most likely a 3 or 4 sp, Now that I'm used to a toy dual setup I don't know what I'd do without a 3 sp case.  I use all 3 all the time

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2006, 04:18:41 PM »
If you're not using any toy drivetrain parts, I don't see the point in running toy skin.  If your running a Chevy motor then maybe Bowtie skin would be more appropriate.

:dunno: 
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2006, 01:27:33 AM »
well just like the jeep guys I guess how they don't have anything thats a jeep but they still say they are would only own a jeep (I can't be so hypocritical now. DANG IT)  the reason I'm not using toy cases is just for the plain reason that I don't want to break anything.  If marlin had his rear disconnect for sale I'd probably go that route with duals but I've been waiting now for quite sometime and really would consider running it.  COMMON MARLIN I NEED A SOME TYPE OF TOY PART IN MY BUGGY!!!!

Shamb

• Raisin in the making..
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Proud Parent
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2006, 11:36:57 AM »
I say FJ40 front clip, I think those look fawkin awesome.

When you say rolling chassis what does that consist of?

Axles, gears, lockers, coils, tires, frame, links... if so what kind of equipment will you be running in it?  specifics!

gotrocks [OP]

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 28, 2006, 04:51:36 PM »
Engine 98 4.3 Vortec with 97 wireingharness
Tranny TH350 with shift kit and B&M ratchet shifter
T-Case Either a Stak or Atlas most likely a 3 or 4 sp
Axles  F/ D60 with Yukons and Longfield ujoints Yukon 5.13's ARB
         R/ 14B possibly getting it shaved Stock axles 5.14's and Detriot
Suspension Fox 2.0 Airshox 14" front and 16 or 18" rears can't remember
Fully Hydro steering 2" ram

when I say rolling chassis it I mean that it will have the suspesion all done the steering setup, drivetrain mounted (not wired or plumbed)

Things I'll need to finish,
Wire and plumb the engine, mount the seats, make my guage cluster (I have a complete set of Auto Meters) Skin the frame, other odds and ends that I'm not remembering at the moment.