Author Topic: home sand blaster research....  (Read 1391 times)

FSAD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
home sand blaster research....
« on: May 12, 2006, 12:36:28 PM »
sorry if this is in the wrong forum, but im thinking the general chit chat (after having perused some of the topics) is not going to cut it.

anyways...im researching a home sandblasting unit, and here's what ive come up with so far.

-pressure tanks work way faster adn better than siphon type
-the air compressor (7 hp, 80 gallon in my case) doesnt really matter, its the cfm it can deliver.  with that in mind, ive learned that an 1/8" nozzle requires bout 15cfm at 80-90 psi, which my compressor delivers.
-the size of the tank (blast tank) doesnt matter, its just "how often do you wanna fill it back up wiht media"
-media, rust, paint, powdercoat, etc ALL (obviously) contribute to how long it'll take to blast something

my useage plans are for my project (frame, body, axle housing, etc) and the occasional friend who needs something blasted.  not an every day, massive use of the system.

ive used only siphon blast cabinets in the past, so that's all i have to gage my thoughts with at this time.

so, having what i feel is an adequte compressor, i wonder about the following:

-what can i expect with an 1/8" nozzle, at 15cfm.  how long will it take me ot blast my frame?
-will i find out "oh, man, i should have gotten a bigger blast tank, or bigger nozzle, or now, my compressor wont keep up, or what?????

any input would be greatly appreciated.

thanks and if anyone needs something blasted in Colorado Springs, look me up, gotta get this thing to pay for itself  :D

mike
84 ext cab project: current status-complete frame off: 4.3 is at the rebuilder's, 700R4 and dual cases still in the works. front lift prolly ORS's coilover. Rear-TBD. Will upgrade the axle shafts and birfs (longs) and brakes. 37" to 38" tires. Mostly a crawler, explorer vehicle, will drive on street some. Lots to go still...gutted cab needs seats, dash, etc, build the "bed", fuel cell, exo cage(?) and misc other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Open to suggestions as I go.

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: home sand blaster research....
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2006, 07:54:18 PM »
doesnt anyone have anything to say about sandblasters here???  need some input!

84 ext cab project: current status-complete frame off: 4.3 is at the rebuilder's, 700R4 and dual cases still in the works. front lift prolly ORS's coilover. Rear-TBD. Will upgrade the axle shafts and birfs (longs) and brakes. 37" to 38" tires. Mostly a crawler, explorer vehicle, will drive on street some. Lots to go still...gutted cab needs seats, dash, etc, build the "bed", fuel cell, exo cage(?) and misc other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Open to suggestions as I go.

Volcom

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 269
  • Male Posts: 2,418
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Colorado Rocks!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.rockfrogs.org
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2006, 01:49:11 PM »
No comments but I noticed that you're from the Colorado Springs area.  That's cool.  I'm down in Pueblo, 45 minutes south of you.  Nice to have another CO member on the Marlin board!
84 4Runner
Swapped EFI and a rebuilt 22RE
Marlin Dual Ultimate crawler
Marlin high steer
TG springs
5.29's, Aussie locked front and rear
39.5" Iroks on 15x10 2.5" backspaced wheels
109" wheelbase
Addicted Off Road 8 point cage
Addicted Off Road front bumper

Addicted Off Road

Colorado Marlin members, check out the Colorado section!!!

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2006, 05:51:17 PM »
hey, thanks,

i know right where your truck is in your avatar!

when im all done, ill head your way for some wheelin'

used to ride my XR650 down there a lot.  sold it.

all funds going to the 84 project

mike

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2006, 06:30:28 PM »
I would not build a pressure tank, I would buy one factory made. they can be dangerous because of the pressure it will have to withstand.

I had a Skatblast  Sandy Jet and it worked great, but wore out valves, hoses and nozzles. Also made a damm big mess.

Here is a link to a site for info. http://www.smartshoppersinc.com/sand-blasters/sand-blasters.html
« Last Edit: May 26, 2006, 06:35:26 PM by Willy Mammoth »
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2006, 07:23:36 AM »
wasnt planning on building one, just researching existing tanks. 

ive posted on other sites and received enough info to tell me that ill prolly not get one.  basically, the air compressor has to be quite substantial to get anything done in any reasonable amount of time (man, these emoticons are annoying when you're typing!), as was said, wears out nozzles adn parts, and makes a mess.

so, ill just take the big stuff out, and do the small stuff in a freinds cabinet

thanks
mike