Author Topic: major advantages to upgrading an 86+ rear housing....  (Read 4300 times)

FSAD

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
major advantages to upgrading an 86+ rear housing....
« on: May 09, 2006, 12:31:32 PM »
So far the only reason I know of for upgrading to an 86+ rear housing ( i have an 84 PU), is the wider width.  Along with this reasoning is that one has to add 1.5" wheel spacers to the front axle for uniformity.

I'm not a big fan of wheel spacers, so unless there are other advantages (stronger housing, etc) to the newer unit, why would you want to do this?

thanks

mike
84 ext cab project: current status-complete frame off: 4.3 is at the rebuilder's, 700R4 and dual cases still in the works. front lift prolly ORS's coilover. Rear-TBD. Will upgrade the axle shafts and birfs (longs) and brakes. 37" to 38" tires. Mostly a crawler, explorer vehicle, will drive on street some. Lots to go still...gutted cab needs seats, dash, etc, build the "bed", fuel cell, exo cage(?) and misc other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Open to suggestions as I go.

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
larger brakes
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
bigger brakes and more width is it..  they arent stronger.. hell the tubes smash and crack easier..
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ok, yeah, brakes, i should have prefaced my post:  im planning on doing some sort of disc conversion, maybe even full floater axles.

so just the brakes then??

i figure i can get the "width" i need by rim BS.  actually not much different than wheel spacers, but i guess it makes me feel better than spacers AND greater BS'd rims at the same time.

thanks
« Last Edit: May 09, 2006, 01:35:48 PM by FSAD »
84 ext cab project: current status-complete frame off: 4.3 is at the rebuilder's, 700R4 and dual cases still in the works. front lift prolly ORS's coilover. Rear-TBD. Will upgrade the axle shafts and birfs (longs) and brakes. 37" to 38" tires. Mostly a crawler, explorer vehicle, will drive on street some. Lots to go still...gutted cab needs seats, dash, etc, build the "bed", fuel cell, exo cage(?) and misc other stuff I'm sure I'm forgetting. Open to suggestions as I go.

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
yep just the brakes and width.
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
the axles themselves are stronger also and the housing is supposed to be stronger.  Besides those your tires are gonna rub your frame bad without the added width

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
ill be building a custom bed, so not worried about rubbing. also, will have aftermarket shafts for what ever setup i settle on (disc setup, full floater, etc)

you are the first ot say the housing is stronger.  anyone else think so???

lemme ask you all this....

who is running hte wider rear with 1.5" spacers up front and what do you think of them?

thanks
mike

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
they rub your frame bad, not rub your bed.  Long travel suspensions will benefit from a wider axle needing less of a wheel offset to accomplish the same travel.

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
you wont need to upgrade the shafts on the ifs rear axle because they are plenty strong and i'd say anyone that has experience in this area will tell you to do the wider rearend

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
I would say the housing is stronger too.  I have ben running this same setup with 1 1/2 inch WS for a little over a year and it has been great.  I have had good experiences with the WS i have had, none have ever came loose one bit.

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
ive never heard anything about the shafts or the housing being strronger, but i definitaly dont know everything

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
thanks guys, i didnt think about the frame, per se, but it could be an issue. 

keep the replys coming in. i really appreciate it! it will help me build the right setup the first time.

mike

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
Go with the 86 housing and axles with a v6/turbo 3rd member and 1 1/2" spacers up front you will be much happier with it and not to mention you will save money over going with after market axle or a full floating kit. bigger breaks to, on mine i used sky's disk brake brackets and only drooped $250.00 on the hole disk brake conversion.   :biggthumpup:
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

FSAD [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
i was planning on getting a third from Marlin, w detroit. i assume that is the same as the v6 turbo or just as good???

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i was planning on getting a third from Marlin, w detroit. i assume that is the same as the v6 turbo or just as good???

marlin sells 4cyl thirds  and v6 thirds,   the v6 thirds all have larger bearings  and a heavier 3rd housing
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
the shafts are the same strength, but you gain a larger diameter axle tube(if that means anything, they're all sheet metal on toys) and bigger drums.

call me crazy, but i like my narrow track axle, lets me get into tight spots, but i like pizza cutter tires so what do i know :yupyup:

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
I have the same housing as the '84 we had them on the diesel trucks til 90 something... I have 1,5" spacers bouth front and rear and have been driving with them for over a year now with out any problems. (except for broken pinion bearing after a long and hard jump) I donīt thing the spacers have addet more stress to the bearing if I wouldnīt have the spacers I would had to change my rims. The only diff. is that I have the bigger drum brakes but it dosnīt seem to make more difference either not when you have that big wheels 39,5".
I am waiting for my order from frontrange offroad to arrive so I can install my full floating and disk brakes  :sly:
I desited to go that way after brakeing a rear axle doing 50 m/pr h  and loosing the tier not a plesant experience.
The axles doesnīt seem to bee any stronger in the longer housing at least by the look of them. and the housing looks the same streanght. I have actually seen more bent housing from the new housings than the old. ???
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

E-9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Apr '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
I am have problems with the housing warping at the bottom of the third member. Once it happens I can get a .040 feeler gauge between the housing and the third member. I tried to reseal the first one, but it only held fluid about half the day. I replaced the housing about six months ago and just had the same thing this past weekend. These are 94 model housing. I am running a V6 third. I am assuming that the torgue is forcing the third member up with enough force to actually pull the top of the housing back enough to create the gap at the bottom of the housing.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
yea i think after 89 the housings were a thinner material
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
I have the narrow housing and I had to have Allied custom build me some rims with 2" BS and I still rib the frame with my mad flex and 36" Iroks.
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
sounds like you need to  buy my 86 housing :yupyup:

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
Where are you at????? When is your next trip to Moab?
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.