Author Topic: *Odd Noise When Clutch is Depressed* HELP PLEASE  (Read 4901 times)

87_Yotaman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -134
  • Male Posts: 119
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
*Odd Noise When Clutch is Depressed* HELP PLEASE
« on: Apr 16, 2006, 04:39:40 AM »
My 87 toyota pickup is making an odd knocking noise whenever I mash the clutch in but it stops when I let it out.  There is always something that has got my truck  :sick: .  Does anyone know what it might be? if so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Alex

OR
  __                __
(__) l l l l l l l l (__)

N.S.Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Could be the throw out bearing getting bad. First check to see if the bolts on the bellhousing are tight.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Did this noise just start on it's own or did you do some work on the clutch before it started? 

When you push the clutch peddle the throw out bearing pushes against the fingers on the pressure plate.

If the bearing is going bad it usually starts to make a dry grumbling sound unless it has locked up, then it will squeal.

If for some reason the throw out bearing is over extending it will push the fingers of the pressure plate into the clutch disk causing some kind of grinding noise or banging noise.

Like N.S. said check for loose bolts first, then you will have to pull it apart to see what is going on. Could even be the pilot bearing going bad.

Check the end play on the crankshaft to make sure your thrust washers are in good shape. If they are worn out or have fallen out the crank will be pushed forward causing all kinds of problems.

Good luck and let us know what you find.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
 :bowdown: Thanks for the help mr.dub'ya and N.S.Runner.  Im at work right now but I get off at one thus I will take a look at this problem when I arrive at the house where my truck is waiting.  I hope that this will solve my problem.

Mr.W ---> :idea:            :hammerhead: }
N.S. ----> :idea:            :think: }           <----87 Yotaman
 :beer:                         :hammerhead: }

OR
  __                __

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
lol yotaman
Sounds like a throw out bearing.
How may mile U got on that clutch?.  THe problem is most people when they do clutches  they never replace the bearing :nonono: ( can be a real pain )    So if your clutch has been done before chances  :dunno: are that bearing is way old.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
I don't think that it is the throwout bearing.  I just replaced the engine about 20,000 ago.  When he put the new engine in it was an automatic transmission engine thus we had to get a new clutch, throughout bearing ect.

OR
  __                __

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
if it just started it could be the clips on the TOB have come off and it is trying to spin on the fork
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
yeah it just started yesterday and it was real quite then this morning it was extreamly loud.  I hope that it is nothing big.

OR
  __                __

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Years ago I had a spring blow out of a clutch disc and made some really loud noises, I hope thats not the problem
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
Years ago I had a spring blow out of a clutch disc and made some really loud noises, I hope thats not the problem

My Mechanic said that the problem was either that or the release bearing.  Either way the transmission was going to have to come off and that I was looking at around $500.  :yikes:

OR
  __                __

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
$500  :aaa: do ya live near me
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Save the $$ and do it yourself, its really not that hard :nope:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Sounds like I have the same problem or something in the like.  I was going on the interstate today 70 or 80 MPH and I shifted down from 5th to 4 and it made a slight metallic grinding sound.  While on the interstate I shifted a couple more times between 4th and 5th gears.  When I got off the interstate not to long after I pushed the clutch petal in and it made the same sound only much worse, but the noise only occurs when I have the clutch pushed in.   I have had a simalar problem to this before, once when one of my  motor mounts came off and a couple of times when my transmission was loose so I assumed that is what it was, but when I went to tighten the bolts they were all fine.  Any suggestions on what exactly might be my problem, sounds like im gonna have to drop my trannie.  Clutch was new 20K or so miles ago, but I don't remember what parts are new or not.  Its an 87 22R pickup 4x4.

87_Yotaman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Apr '05
  • "This is MY YOTA!"
    • View Profile
Well it sounds like the spring. That's what was wrong with mine. Wasnt that bad to replace cept for having to buy a new clutch to replace a new clutch.

OR
  __                __

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
Well it sounds like the spring. That's what was wrong with mine. Wasnt that bad to replace cept for having to buy a new clutch to replace a new clutch.
:shake:  HELLO this thread was OVER a year old on the last post and originally is over 3 years old  :shake:

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
its his thread glen.

Yota87Truck

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 1,175
  • Member since Aug '06
  • Got Moab!
    • View Profile
Sounds like I have the same problem or something in the like.  I was going on the interstate today 70 or 80 MPH and I shifted down from 5th to 4 and it made a slight metallic grinding sound.  While on the interstate I shifted a couple more times between 4th and 5th gears.  When I got off the interstate not to long after I pushed the clutch petal in and it made the same sound only much worse, but the noise only occurs when I have the clutch pushed in.   I have had a simalar problem to this before, once when one of my  motor mounts came off and a couple of times when my transmission was loose so I assumed that is what it was, but when I went to tighten the bolts they were all fine.  Any suggestions on what exactly might be my problem, sounds like im gonna have to drop my trannie.  Clutch was new 20K or so miles ago, but I don't remember what parts are new or not.  Its an 87 22R pickup 4x4.

Oh, I know this is old but I beleive this was a pilot bearing issue....

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 219
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
 :psss:did they install a pilot bearing when the truck was converted from auto to standard trans? :think:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile

drew303

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '10
    • View Profile
Damn I'm having a similar tranny issue, G54 i assume, 87 22r. but anyway, only 40mph over i can get the metallic grinding noise when you find that sweet spot between driving the tranny with the motor vs coasting.. you know what i mean? like theres no load on the drivetrain from DRIVE or COAST??..

and i get the noise regardless when the clutch is depressed, which is when the drivetrain is coasting.

ugh.. i have no idea what it is. 223k on the tranny tho. It's quite a horrid sound lol, im just waiting for it to blow up on the freeway