Author Topic: Noob at 4DW car  (Read 5936 times)

RicardoM

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
Noob at 4DW car
« on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:32:49 PM »
Hello there.... I have been a reader of this forum like a month ago, just to have Ideas, and enjoy watching your pics and avatars.

I'm looking for a SUV or truck or jeep  1991-1996 to own my first 4WD (Why these year models? Because those I can import to my country, Mexico).  Not sure what to buy,  if a Jeep Wrangler, Toyota 4runner, Toyota Truck, Cherokee, Rodeo Isuzu, GMC-Chevy Tahoe or Yukon, or other.   As the subject said, I don't know what to but.  I'm a kind of off road enthusiast and my current car is a 1999 Chevy silverado truck 2wd, and when I can I try to  off road, but most times got stuck in sand, or mud,  or just not enough friction with rocks.

I have read some topics saying that avoid jeeps because they stuck too easy, or avoid Cherokees cus they don't have very good brakes system.  Maybe you that have  been user of many brands can recommend me what to buy, then what equipment could add (shockers, lift kits, winch, etc).

thanks for your comments.

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
Re: Noob at 4DW car
« Reply #1 on: Apr 12, 2006, 01:41:43 PM »
Well, there is nothing really wrong with any of these models. I would stay away from the Tahoes/Chevies if you want to go 4wheeling much in them. A Cherokee is a good wheeler, although it is a unibody rig (no frame, the body IS the frame), the Cherokee does lack front axle strength, but if you keep an open front axle and tires smaller than 35" tall you can run the stock front axle with lower gears.
A Toyota would be great! A truck or 4runner would be nice. Try to stay away from the 3VZE (3.0 V6), because it does not like head gaskets or valve cover gaskets. The 22re (4cyl) is a great motor, and only has about 5 horsepower less, plus better gas mileage (I'm not sure how high gas prices are in Mexico, so this may be a big deal, or not so bad).

In my opinion, if you want to seat 5, get a 4runner, unless you really like the Cherokee (XJ). If you don't need the 5 seats, get a Toyota pickup with the 4cyl. You won't regret it.
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

RicardoM [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 13, 2006, 05:59:00 PM »
Thanks for your reply WA!, My first choice was a Tahoe and second 4Runner. But now will be a first 4Runner, and second a Toyota Truck with extended cab.  Gas will be not a issue because will not be for a daily use, only for fun.  Gas over here is approx. US$2.92/gal.  I was wondering a 6 cyls due the horsepower, but if there is not a big deal the  difference with a 4 cyl will look for that.

Thanks, I really appreciate your time.

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 13, 2006, 07:23:31 PM »
No problem man. Is 2.92 for regular gas? That is around what I pay for Premium in my daily driver.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 13, 2006, 08:06:56 PM »
No problem man. Is 2.92 for regular gas? That is around what I pay for Premium in my daily driver.

yeah thats pretty close to what we are paying here, or where i am @, the cheapest is arco around here and thats $2.77 for 87 octane as of yesterday night
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

RicardoM [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 15, 2006, 02:27:49 PM »
yap, for premium gas (92 octane), but belive me, its not better than any american 89 octane gas.  The regular gas (87 oct) its around $2.80 us dlls.  We have only one brand of gas (PEMEX) and we have no choice.
When I travel to U.S. I always fill the tank before cross the border back.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 15, 2006, 03:00:03 PM »
 :welcome: You're asking some biased people here. I'm a gonna tell ya Toyota all the way!     The extra power of the 6 is nice but parts are not as cheap and abundant as the 'ol 4 cyl. Better gas mileage too, of course. Remember these trucks are built for dependability first with power as a piddly afterthought.  Buy one, and like Wa said, you will not regret it!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Apr 15, 2006, 03:29:16 PM »
:welcome: You're asking some biased people here. I'm a gonna tell ya Toyota all the way!     The extra power of the 6 is nice but parts are not as cheap and abundant as the 'ol 4 cyl. Better gas mileage too, of course. Remember these trucks are built for dependability first with power as a piddly afterthought.  Buy one, and like Wa said, you will not regret it!

Go Toyota!!! 

OH WHAT A FEELING!!

SQUIRREL POWER!!

....and  :welcome: to  :turtle:

:twocents:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #8 on: Apr 15, 2006, 04:59:31 PM »
Well, there is nothing really wrong with any of these models. I would stay away from the Tahoes/Chevies if you want to go 4wheeling much in them. A Cherokee is a good wheeler, although it is a unibody rig (no frame, the body IS the frame), the Cherokee does lack front axle strength, but if you keep an open front axle and tires smaller than 35" tall you can run the stock front axle with lower gears.
A Toyota would be great! A truck or 4runner would be nice. Try to stay away from the 3VZE (3.0 V6), because it does not like head gaskets or valve cover gaskets. The 22re (4cyl) is a great motor, and only has about 5 horsepower less, plus better gas mileage (I'm not sure how high gas prices are in Mexico, so this may be a big deal, or not so bad).

In my opinion, if you want to seat 5, get a 4runner, unless you really like the Cherokee (XJ). If you don't need the 5 seats, get a Toyota pickup with the 4cyl. You won't regret it.

whats wrong with chevies? i wheel my suburban with no problems (got alot of mods to do, but it goes everywhere i've tried to go). biggest problem is the length, so i'l regear the t-case, add some more torque upgrades, and stay as slow as possible, just have to be careful in a suburban/tahoe/any fullsize if u wanna avoid damage.
jeep wranglers arent bad, but if u get one make sure its a 6cyl, the 4 bangers are gutless in a jeep with larger tires (moms 97 jeep couldnt get above 65mph with 32" bfg all terrains, she has a 4 cyl)

in that year range, both toyota and nissan trucks/suvs have ifs. both wheel great, the nissan has slightly more power (about 10-15 more hp), but the offroading aftermarket definetly favors toyota over nissan.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

RicardoM [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 15, 2006, 08:04:49 PM »
The extra power of the 6 is nice but parts are not as cheap and abundant as the 'ol 4 cyl. 

Gee DirToyBoy, thanks for that tip!  I just had in mind lots of horsepower to climb whatever and places with deep mud.

Red, thanks to you too, I was talking with my wife and she wants a jeep, but if we go for the jeep, for sure will be 6  cyls.  But a toyota truck is definitely deep inside of my mind.

and thanks all of you for your comments!.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Apr 15, 2006, 08:22:49 PM »
I was talking with my wife and she wants a jeep, but if we go for the jeep, for sure will be 6  cyls. 

:psss:  I'll come pull ya out when your Heep breaks down.  :slap: You're just supposed to smile and nod, not actually listen to them.  Besides, everyone and their grandma has a jeep. Be different! :beerchug: See ya on the trail.
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Apr 15, 2006, 08:23:38 PM »
Gee DirToyBoy, thanks for that tip!  I just had in mind lots of horsepower to climb whatever and places with deep mud.

Red, thanks to you too, I was talking with my wife and she wants a jeep, but if we go for the jeep, for sure will be 6  cyls.  But a toyota truck is definitely deep inside of my mind.

and thanks all of you for your comments!.

Jeep's are OK, if you just want to be just another one of the pack....... The Borg will assimilate you.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RicardoM [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 17, 2006, 09:08:57 AM »
Jeep's are OK, if you just want to be just another one of the pack....... The Borg will assimilate you.

Jeeps around here are not so common, and theres a lot of Toyota's.  But, thinkin in repair-modification costs, toyotas are way cheap compared to jeeps.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 17, 2006, 01:42:34 PM »
 :yesnod:
Jeeps around here are not so common, and theres a lot of Toyota's.  But, thinkin in repair-modification costs, toyotas are way cheap compared to jeeps.
    :yesnod:  Where do you live? Overseas?
RIP KYOTA

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 17, 2006, 02:20:40 PM »
:yesnod:    :yesnod:  Where do you live? Overseas?
He lives in Mexico

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Apr 17, 2006, 09:21:13 PM »
toyota and nissan land. :nod:

USAF EOD tech

RicardoM [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Apr 18, 2006, 11:23:35 AM »
:yesnod:    :yesnod:  Where do you live? Overseas?

Northeast of Mexico, in Sonora, border with Arizona.  As red said, land of nissans, but toyota are really new here, and Im not gonna buy a new one to have fun crawling or hill-climbing. :)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #17 on: Apr 18, 2006, 05:09:44 PM »
Northeast of Mexico, in Sonora, border with Arizona.  As red said, land of nissans, but toyota are really new here, and Im not gonna buy a new one to have fun crawling or hill-climbing. :)
shouldnt be too hard to find a rig to wheel, but would be a lot cheaper to buy one here in the US than in mexico (usually)

land of nissans, thats where my old one is headed this weekend.

USAF EOD tech

RicardoM [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Apr 19, 2006, 09:24:24 AM »
shouldnt be too hard to find a rig to wheel, but would be a lot cheaper to buy one here in the US than in mexico (usually)

Thats right man!, I have seen a 1991 toyota truck, 4 cyls, 4wd all original (not lifted, no adds-on) in 1000 us dlls in Phoenix, and anotherone identical here in Mexico at $3,500 us dlls resale.   
And over here, everyone looks for Rancho stuff to add to theirs cars (and as well, the prices of rancho kits are overvalued).  Thats why I love to travel to USA, its cheaper to have fun and have a lot of choices to pick up from.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #19 on: Apr 28, 2006, 07:21:04 PM »
if money was no issue  i would go  for a FZJ80  :drool: 

but for my sis or mom,  i would have to plug a cherokee,  solid front axle, inline 6 , fuelinjected, a quality auto tranny  and a proven 4x4 tcase

sis used to have a cherokee,  and for her,  it was the perfect truck,  when she trades the minivan we have now in she'll get another cherokee :yesnod:  :bat:

but for our friend ricardo ???  i would say toy pickup

but if he has kids,  a 4runner or cherokee
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

GoldnGateYota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2015, 08:42:06 PM »
 :welcome: