Author Topic: Questions about Propane Injection on cummins 5.9 with direct injection  (Read 12300 times)

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
I am interested in adding propane injection on the LBC (motor home) and want to see if anybody has any info on this.

It has a Cummins 5.9 diesel with an injection pump (no electronics) I think it is a 6BT but could be wrong.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

alwayzbroken

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 603
  • Male Posts: 1,905
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
I think there was an article about that in this month's Diesel Power magazine.
If you still have control you aren't going fast enough

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Mr Willy-

A good friend of mine has a propane injection setup on his 6BT powered Dodge truck.  He works for a local propane supply place, and pretty much fabbed up the kit himself.  I'll see if I can round up some pictures and more information for you.  From what he says, it added quite a bit of power, reduced the smoke, and lowered the EGT's considerably.

His setup uses a heat exchanger to vaporize the LP, and it is injected pre-turbo depending on throttle position and a dash-mounted activation switch.  He's using a 10# cylinder mounted in the bed of the truck, but you could easily tie in to the LP system inthe LBC. 

You can also find TONS of info on the Cummins motor at www.oilburners.net and at the Turbo Diesel Register.  TDR requires a paid membership for any good info though.  there are also substantial gains to be had with some simple exhaust work, fuel injection pump mods, and fuel injectors.  I'll do some reading and see what I can find.  See if you can read the engine data plate mounted near the Injection Pump, so we know what calibraton your engine is at, and what HP/Torque it's configured for.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Thanks,

I will look for the data and I plan on using the 45 gal tank that runs the generator and other stuff.

Only need a little boost for the hills and take off. Maybe a small amount to help with fuel mileage.

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
LPG on diesels has been around for a while now. Problem is it has to be watched on earlier trucks that aer not computer controlled. Many say that it is good most of the time, but if you don't pay attention, it can wreak havok on your motor. When loaded heavily, it can cause the motor to detonate and kill piston rings and even the pistons themselves. Many have made the system work but I feel there are better ways to get a little boost out of your Cummins. I have a '97 ram with a bombed cummins and I have my cruiser that I run on LPG. I will NOT put the LPG on my Dodge. BTW, the "gain" in diesel mileage is just that. You might get a mile or 2 better mileage out of the good ol #2, but now you have to add in the cost of your LPG. Most say thet when you factor them together, you don't really see a significant gain.
 Have you looked into water/meth injection? Meth will give your motor more power, a bit more boost, and will cool your EGTs on the long uphill pulls. Also, windshield washer fluid (some are (97% meth) is usually easier to get ahold of than LPG on those cross country trips. 
 Also, if you do have a 6BT, you can bump the power considerably for minimal input (300 RWHP for about $500) and that never has to be refilled. 
"between projects"

854RUN

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 890
  • Member since Mar '06
  • 4WHEEL 4EVER
    • View Profile
heres a link to bully dogs propane injection for cummins. I was watch truck TV over the weekend and they put Bullydogs: 1) Triple-Dog Programmer, 2) Propane & Nitrous Injection, 3) Outlook Monitor, 4) Hi-flow Diesel Injectors, 4) 4-in dual exhaust, 5) Rapid Flow Induction. They got like 850hp and flat lined the the torch on the Dino at 1200 ft lb  :drooling: http://www.bullydog.com/index.php?customernumber=777212350573672&pr=ef7da766d7&thiscat=104&=SID
1985 4RUNNER (rip) http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54940.0

1997 T100, 4.88, DUAL T-CASE, R151, lockright in the rear, Alcan springs, 37"S, Bobbed 15", 3.4L TRD Supercharger, JBL headers 
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=35174.0

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace" Jimmy Hendrix

-JOSH-

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
You can boost the Cummins 6BT a substantial amount. If you are friendly enough with the Cummins parts counter guy, you can get 350hp marine application injectors, have your Bosch in-line pump turned up. In stock for each squirt of the pump should be around 130 cc's of fuel. One of my mechanics had his turned up to 530 cc's. That was as far as he could go with his pump. Some pumps can go to 880 cc's. With all that fuel, you need a bigger turbo, and they are pretty interchangeable. You need to make room for a bigger turbo, but one from an 400hp Cummings M11 worked for my buddy. He could have gone a little bigger, he was still smoking a bunch. (over fueling) With those changes, and an open 5 inch exhaust, he put 550 hp to the rear wheels, and 1050 lb ft of torque on the chassis dyno at Cummins. His boost was around 50 psi when he was really working it. I have been told you can go to 55 psi before you need to worry about the head gasket.

For a small boost, you could get your pump turned up, and upgrade your turbo to something bigger, and that would keep you EGT down with the added power.

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Ok I found the data plate under the compressor and had to remove it to see what it had on it.

Here is a link to the scaned picture. It's big so beware. http://www.mhdfl.com/forum/images/data%20plate.jpg

It says it has 230 hp at 2500 rpm, but I can't make out what model it is other than a 403B.

RockSlayer

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 176
  • Male Posts: 101
  • Member since Jan '06
  • A mind is a terrible thing to taste.
    • View Profile
    • Cal4wheelers
The key information on that tag is:

1) engine serial number - 44629946

2) CPL number - 987

3) Fuel rate - 104 cubic millimeter/stroke

4) engine model - B5.9-230

That information, will get you this information,

It is a bus engine, the most you can go with those components is 250 HP by changing the pump "button" (The pump cam has to do with injector timing and speed governor.)  :grad:

If you want to go crazy  :burnout: you can get up to a 1000 hp with pump, piston, injector, turbo, connecting rods and crank change.

You could get 500 HP reliably by recalabrating the pump, and bigger turbo to keep the exhaust temp down. Most people find that by turning up there engine, they actually get better fuel millage because they can stay in the tall gears.

I wish I had experience with the propane to have an educated opinion, but I don't. :smack:

Willy Mammoth [OP]

• Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Thanks, I wish I could just trade it in on a newer one with a 500 hp Cat engine and a 6 spd Alison, but that would cost twice what my house is worth.

ctdellerman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
I would stay away from Propane on a Diesel that is used for anything other than drag racing.  Propane greatly increases your chances of blowing your head gasket in stock form.  Injectors, modifying your injection pump and a bigger turbo are the direction you would want to go.  Eric
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
I would stay away from Propane on a Diesel that is used for anything other than drag racing.  Propane greatly increases your chances of blowing your head gasket in stock form.  Injectors, modifying your injection pump and a bigger turbo are the direction you would want to go.  Eric
propane is more for very short boosts (like if u are trying to pull a buddy outta the mud and need that xtra power), for long term power, and without the possibility of damage (far less likely to happen on newer engines than older ones) i'd stick with turbo upgrades, injectors, and a 4 inch exhaust. contact banks engineering, they will have what u need.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Haven't forgotten about you Mark!  Soon as I get a chance, I'll get those pictures...

Check into a bullydog system in the meantime, I think thats similar to what my friend is running...

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i dont know of any other company that sells a propane injection setup besides bullydog.
what kinda power do u get from that methanol injection? from windshield washer fluid.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

ctdellerman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
ATS also makes propane injection kits.  Xtremediesel.com sells them for some of the best prices.  As far as Banks, lets just say that in the Diesel world their stuff is far overpriced and their claims are a little bit of a stretch.  They do have nice exhaust, but for twice as much as other companies I wouldn't say it's worth it.
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

- Sales Employee -

freds40

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 293
  • Male Posts: 2,331
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
Theres a few companies out there making LPG kits for diesels. Heck, I think JC Whitney even has a "1 kit fits all" setup. Again, I don't see propane as your best bet. If you are looking for a fluid adder setup, I'd definately go Meth. Read up on Snow Performance for their Meth kit. Matt is extremely knowledgable and his kits are very well put together. Otherwise, I'd look into a fuel plate and maybe a different turbo housing.
"between projects"