Author Topic: throttle body injection questions  (Read 3317 times)

Tyler82toy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 81
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
throttle body injection questions
« on: Jul 08, 2009, 12:31:26 AM »
hey guys im new here and have been trying to find any info on this place called affordable fuel injection that has a conversion kit for the 22r to throttle body and was wondering if anyone has hear of them any info would much appreciated

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Re: throttle body injection questions
« Reply #1 on: Jul 08, 2009, 01:27:57 AM »
It would be cheaper and you would get better performance gains by doing the efi swap over TBI kit, not to mention saving yourself an easy $1k+ in the process.  I can see why it would be an option for the old Cruiser straight 6's, but not for a 22r.

If still interested a Google search turned up a lot of pages, might be worth looking at them and see what others have to say.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 08, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »
I've looked into that set up and the only real disadvantage I can see is that their systems are not currently smog legal in most states. If you're vehicle is registered in a non-smog area then it shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest advantage you would have with this set up is the cost of repairs and availability of parts (i.e. sensors and such). Their system uses the O.E. GM stuff which is less expensive and probably more readily available anywhere than the Toyoat stuff will ever be (like a MAF or TPS both very expensive in Toyota stuff but not the GM stuff).

Another advantage would be less work for the conversion (no manifold swapping, fuel lines, tank and so on...  :blah:) and not much to get rid of when you're done. In fact, you could keep the stuff that comes off to convert it back if you had too. Say...to use the system for your next truck.  :biggthumpup:

JMO  :twocents:

If you get this et up I'd like to hear back from you as to how it works.  :yupyup:

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 08, 2009, 07:54:07 AM »
what about the zuk's offroad system?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 08, 2009, 01:35:39 PM »
I've looked into that set up and the only real disadvantage I can see is that their systems are not currently smog legal in most states. If you're vehicle is registered in a non-smog area then it shouldn't be a problem.

The biggest advantage you would have with this set up is the cost of repairs and availability of parts (i.e. sensors and such). Their system uses the O.E. GM stuff which is less expensive and probably more readily available anywhere than the Toyoat stuff will ever be (like a MAF or TPS both very expensive in Toyota stuff but not the GM stuff).

Another advantage would be less work for the conversion (no manifold swapping, fuel lines, tank and so on...  :blah:) and not much to get rid of when you're done. In fact, you could keep the stuff that comes off to convert it back if you had too. Say...to use the system for your next truck.  :biggthumpup:

JMO  :twocents:

If you get this et up I'd like to hear back from you as to how it works.  :yupyup:

Granted while GM parts are cheaper and sometimes more readily available $13-1400 for a complete kit or $200 for an efi swap, you would still be money ahead if you had to buy a toyota AFM.

I would be curios to see what the HP/torque numbers from their TBI system ion a 22r versus the oem 22re.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

fordh8r

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 850
  • Male Posts: 2,588
  • Member since Jan '07
  • when my toyota grows up it'll be just like my chevy!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 08, 2009, 01:48:03 PM »
Granted while GM parts are cheaper and sometimes more readily available $13-1400 for a complete kit or $200 for an efi swap, you would still be money ahead if you had to buy a toyota AFM.

I would be curios to see what the HP/torque numbers from their TBI system ion a 22r versus the oem 22re.
"readily available" being the key factor in that statement, since you just never know where you'll be if something craps out especially on the trail. Almost any Joe Schmoe auto parts is likely to have the Chevy stuff. That's the point I was making.

The price of the swap with Toyota stuff will certainly vary depending on where you end up sourcing your parts. Whether you get them from a buddy who's parting out a rig or you spend more money buying a wrecked rig to source your conversion parts.

I would be curious too to see what numbers can be made between the two set ups as long as they were both tested fairly to reflect accurate numbers for a good comparison.  :biggthumpup:

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2009, 04:29:30 PM »
thanks for all the replies from what have had done for searching i came up with this complete kit and not much else. granted the toyota injection would be awesome but from what ive gathered i need to swap the heads get a complete kit hopefully from the junk yard that has not been completely destroyed wire the thing in so far the system does not seem to make and power gains but im really just looking for the MAP sensor and to keep from floading out on hills. and does anyone know if a 82 exhaust header would work on the later year head? cause i just bought a header and i have a offenhauser intake manifold which i could use on the new system once again thanks for all the replies

BAMF

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 40
  • Male Posts: 179
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 11, 2009, 02:43:01 PM »
I swapped my header from a '83 22R to a '85 22RE with no problem.  There will be slight differences with block off plates and the EGR tube but not a big deal.
All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent.

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 10, 2009, 05:24:31 PM »
thanks for all the input on the subject i think im going to get a fuel injected truck that needs some work done and pull the motor build it and then swap everthing over

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 335
  • Member since May '07
  • Barnwell Mountain (stock) Texas TrailRiders Jam 08
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 10, 2009, 06:49:28 PM »
thats what i did. couldn't be happier!  :thumbs:
lets not and say we did.

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 11, 2009, 10:40:35 AM »
thats what i did. couldn't be happier!  :thumbs:
what year truck did you use im planing on swaping over the trans to

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 11, 2009, 06:31:31 PM »
i used a 92 2wd. i had it laying around from when i rolled my truck and i got that one from my brother for 1000 bucks to drive around while i fixed my other one. i really like the tranny in the 92 but i didn't wanna buy an adapter plate to put my transfercase on. and i would've needed a speedo sensor adapter since 92 on trannies are electronic sensors i believe. from 89 on i think the EFI system is different because the injectors are on a single resistor circut or something like that.
lets not and say we did.

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 11, 2009, 08:51:23 PM »
yea i got a buddy with a 92 and i like his tranny. how hard was it to swap the injection over? does anyone know if a 82 transfercase will bolt to the later year trannys?

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 13, 2009, 07:19:56 PM »
i just swapped the whole engine in because it's much more simple and i had it there. i did the same with the harness. if you just swap the intake manifold, you'll at least need an '84+ head because the earlier style heads didn't have the different studs for the injection manifold, the knock sensor, and all the wiring and ecu. i think the gear transfercases were all the same from 79 to whenever they changed to chain drive. i'm not sure though. you could probly just look here on marlin's site and see.
lets not and say we did.

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 13, 2009, 11:58:32 PM »
i just swapped the whole engine in because it's much more simple and i had it there. i did the same with the harness. if you just swap the intake manifold, you'll at least need an '84+ head because the earlier style heads didn't have the different studs for the injection manifold, the knock sensor, and all the wiring and ecu. i think the gear transfercases were all the same from 79 to whenever they changed to chain drive. i'm not sure though. you could probly just look here on marlin's site and see.
cool thanks for all your help i plan on swaping the whole thing over i was just wondering if the transfercase will bolt to say a g52 or g54

84pickup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 14, 2009, 11:57:42 AM »
if i understand marlin's site all the gear driven tcases are the same from 79 to 95. which is when they switched to chain driven for some reason. i'm guessing you've got an L series tranny in the 82? my 84 has a G 52.
lets not and say we did.

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 14, 2009, 08:32:17 PM »
if i understand marlin's site all the gear driven tcases are the same from 79 to 95. which is when they switched to chain driven for some reason. i'm guessing you've got an L series tranny in the 82? my 84 has a G 52.
yea it has a L52 i believe but im probly switching to a g52 or g54

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Oct 07, 2009, 10:45:33 PM »
i was wondering if anyone has used this or has heared anything about this i picked up a early style efi intake and head for a good price(free) and am having trouble finding a parts truck to get the efi wiring from any input would be much appreciated thanks http://www.lceperformance.com/LCE-Pro-Fuel-Injection-Kit-1-4-Cyl-p/1063021.htm

80toyontons

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Jul '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 10, 2009, 02:09:07 PM »
As far as the throttle body goes, you could use on off of an 88-96 chevy half ton truck and a maga squirt computer. Its a we bit cheaper and you can tune it for your application.
1980 toy. d60 up front, c14 out back. doved

Tyler82toy [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jun '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 10, 2009, 07:33:16 PM »
well from what ive done in search and talking to people on here i have decided away from the throttle body injection and am going to go with toyotas i have all the hardwear pretty much but i found this and its a complete replacement for the toyota fuel injection wiring so im trying to find anyone who has used or heard anything good about it thanxs for the input though