5 (19.2%)
Set The Rules For The Year And Then Leave Them Alone
4 (15.4%)
It's Getting Too Dangerous They Need To Slow-Down
0 (0%)
Screw Them Let's Go Wheelin'
13 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Are You Ready For NASCAR!!!!  (Read 7832 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Are You Ready For NASCAR!!!!
« on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:16:36 AM »
I was watching a program on Speed last night, NASCAR is developing a new vehicle configuration that's going to slow the cars down. So if you want to see fast cars this is the year to watch, next year (2007) is the debut of the new car rules and slower, friendlier NASCAR. They say we won't notice, but if the usual slow cars start coming to the front I know I'll notice. Stupid over regulation and rule changes “to make the sport safer” made me stop watching other sports like football and their precious little quarterbacks. I sure am glad that we can still take our sport to any limits.

So what do you think?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
Re: Are You Ready For NASCAR!!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:42:28 AM »
gee..lets go in a big circle for 500 laps..not or me... :sleepy:
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:44:53 AM »
They need to quit regulating them so much, they're all basicly driving the same car at this point anyway. I really wish they would quit with the idea of limiting the number of teams an owner can have, they can afford to have 4-5 teams because they're good at putting winning teams together. It's not saturday night short track, let them play with their money. The only thing that needs regulating is the coverage on the Nascar channel (Speed), nobody needs 8 hours NASCAR, I don't care how big a red neck you are.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Feb 19, 2006, 09:54:10 AM »
They need to quit regulating them so much, they're all basicly driving the same car at this point anyway. I really wish they would quit with the idea of limiting the number of teams an owner can have, they can afford to have 4-5 teams because they're good at putting winning teams together. It's not saturday night short track, let them play with their money. The only thing that needs regulating is the coverage on the Nascar channel (Speed), nobody needs 8 hours NASCAR, I don't care how big a red neck you are.

Actually limiting the team #'s is a good thing, NASCAR was looking at only having maybe 5 or 6 team owners by 2010, that would not be a good thing for the sport. It's bad enough now when you have to watch a team-mate allow another to pass him for the lead so the other can get his 5 bonus points for leading. Diversity is good, teams with less is good, we don't want to sit there and watch 43 cars with only 5 teams  involved. It would be like watching restrictor plate racing every week. Now that sucks and is what we are probably going to see it anyways starting in 2007 with the body and engine rules changes they are coming up with.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:17:37 AM »

Hey, they have a couple road races.  :gap:

I like to watch, but it does get pretty boring when nothing is going on and I will do other things during a race, restrictor plate is the worst. I like the really small tracks lots of action on them bumps and bruises but since the speeds are not as high even when they get bear up they are still out there looking to get that sucker that spun them.  I love the local tracks, used to go to Ascot Park in CA. and Hales Corner in WI. all the time.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:20:05 AM »
Thanks to my wife reminding that Daytona was today, I am planning to watch parts of it as I have nothing else to do.

There are two ways to look at the Nascar rule changes for 2007. 

(1) They shouldn't regulate so much and let the teams build faster cars until people start getting killed.

(2) The most exciting races, IMHO, are the road tracks and restrictor plate racing.  As the cars become more even it is up to the drivers to make the difference.  I kind of like that idea.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:20:33 AM »

i concur
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2006, 10:54:30 AM »
sorry for doing this glen

- what about all that bump drafting they are talking about and some drivers installing 'pipes' in the front of their cars and sding them as "battering rams"
forget restricter plates and this and that ....they need this!!
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:26:15 AM »
NASCAR…it’s like:

“Professional Wrestling” with wheels.

Racing…almost.

Sex…with none of the fun or excitement.

Mark

The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:27:13 AM »
Did you all see the F-22A Raptors?  :bling: :bling: :bling:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #10 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:29:38 AM »
NASCAR…it’s like:

“Professional Wrestling” with wheels.

Racing…almost.

Sex…with none of the fun or excitement.

Mark

I dont care for nascar, but it sure the heck is racing

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:36:21 AM »
I love racing as well but don't really care for Nascar.  Throw some skittles in a toilet and flush it. That's a Nascar race. Just had to throw my  :twocents:  in. hehehe
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #12 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:38:17 AM »
 :funny:

and lots of  :bananabeer: rednecks

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 19, 2006, 12:25:39 PM »
I dont care for nascar, but it sure the heck is racing

Every driver out there can out drive me, to be sure. But, there ain't a lick of difference between the 1st lap and the 200th lap.
Bubba says "Hey Cletis,I missed the first 2.5 hours of the race...what happened?", Cletis replies..."Oh heyull man, they done turnt left...git me a beer".  :beer:

Mark
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Feb 19, 2006, 01:10:42 PM »
dover here I come !!!!!!!!!!!!      i also would like to go back to Pocono
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 19, 2006, 02:51:55 PM »
Hey, they have a couple road races. :gap: 

Sears point is the only nascar race I could see going to.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #16 on: Feb 19, 2006, 03:03:00 PM »
U guys are 
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 19, 2006, 04:23:57 PM »

W3RD!!!! Not very exciting to watch. Just like baseball.

If NASCAR would break up the races and do half road courses and half circle track, it would make it more interesting. It would actually bring forth the best drivers in the series. Drivers like Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart. I keep my eyes on the standings, but I don't watch NASCAR at all.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jul '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 19, 2006, 06:14:26 PM »

If NASCAR would break up the races and do half road courses and half circle track, it would make it more interesting. It would actually bring forth the best drivers in the series. Drivers like Jeff Gordon and Tony Stewart. I keep my eyes on the standings, but I don't watch NASCAR at all.

But then the beer-swilling-goober-smoochers would have to pay attention!

-- Winston Churchill

Travis Tritt (I know!)

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #19 on: Feb 19, 2006, 11:58:53 PM »

Um, I think Tony Stewart won the championship last year and Jeff Gordon has like a few in his back pocket? :headscratch:

Oh, and.....................

TO ALL THE HATERS, 48 :rofl:

yotatilla

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -160
  • Male Posts: 182
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Pretend Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 20, 2006, 10:45:04 AM »
If I wanted to go watch left turns all day, I'd bust the go cart out and do circles around my driveway for a few hours.

Sam
2 1986 4Runners+
1 solid Axle+
2 transfercases+
4 35x14.5 Thornbirds+
2 Aussie Lockers+
1 Marlin SAS kit=
UBER 4RUNNER

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 20, 2006, 01:26:45 PM »

Um, I think Tony Stewart won the championship last year and Jeff Gordon has like a few in his back pocket? :headscratch:

I know that. But having more road courses would weed out the more overrated drivers from the REAL drivers. That's all I was saying.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 20, 2006, 01:36:26 PM »
I know that. But having more road courses would weed out the more overrated drivers from the REAL drivers. That's all I was saying.

I'm not a huge fan of Nascar, but Oval racing, especially restrictor plate racing, requires a lot of driver skill.  Notice that Robby Gordon, who is a road course "ringer" and off-road racer is not a top driver in oval racing.  Earnhardt, J. Gordon & Stewart are amazingly good at both.

unclejpl4x4

• Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #23 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:36:11 PM »
so what u are saying is  any joe blow  could  race at 180mph   6inchs  apart  for 3hr's ? .....

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 20, 2006, 02:38:17 PM »
they definitely require a lot of skill to pilot a nascar.  I think there are other types of racing that can better explore the drivers talents like autocrossing, rally or formula. :driving:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #25 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:13:49 AM »

But what you are saying is we'd get the same results, and more often, if they did have more road races you would actually see others move toward the top. What it boils down to is there is lots of road racing out there in stock cars and if people became interested in road races over circle tracks you'd obviously see a lot more of it. If there is any organization that will make moves to entice viewers to watch and will re-invent themselves to achieve that it would be NASCAR, hell they change the rules every week as it is.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Feb 21, 2006, 12:22:45 AM »
All I can say is I wish I was alive to see the early days of NASCAR, way back in what, the 60s?  I saw some videos from some races way back when, when the Intimidator :usa: was starting out, that was some hardcore stuff :yupyup:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Kurlee Daddee

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Dank Daddee Krew
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Feb 21, 2006, 06:28:29 AM »
But what you are saying is we'd get the same results, and more often, if they did have more road races you would actually see others move toward the top. What it boils down to is there is lots of road racing out there in stock cars and if people became interested in road races over circle tracks you'd obviously see a lot more of it. If there is any organization that will make moves to entice viewers to watch and will re-invent themselves to achieve that it would be NASCAR, hell they change the rules every week as it is.

And in my opinion, it would be more fun to watch road courses, where the cars actually make right hand turns and use their brakes. I have respect for the drivers in NASCAR. But to me, it isn't very fun to watch oval tracks.
Kurlee Daddee
(THE ORIGINAL)
2005 Cadillac CTS-V
2003 Subaru WRX