Author Topic: NEW TOY!!! (tech question)  (Read 7029 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
NEW TOY!!! (tech question)
« on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:00:16 PM »
Over the weekend bought one of these bad boys :woohoo:

unfortunately, it doesn't look anything at all like this :down:  Its been spray painted a weird pink color, still looks kinda red I guess,  had some other accessories that were quickly taken off as well :yupyup: 

Guy was asking $400, went out and drove it (this thing hauls :moon:) and liked it.  drove it back to his barn, turned it off, and it wouldn't start :yikes:  cleaned the plug, and it fired back up.  (plug really wasn't dirty)  drove it some more, and it died  on a flat stretch (forgot about the choke :smack: ) couldn't get it started, pushed it back in.  Owner broke the cord trying to start it, fixed it but couldn't get it to start :dunno: 

bought it for $250, bought a new plug, stuck it in, and it fired up!!  Drove it around for about 2 hours on Sat, needs some brake work and the pull start needs some work, mabye clean the carb, but its got some power behind it!! : :driving:
« Last Edit: Mar 08, 2006, 02:02:56 PM by BLACKDOG »
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: NEW TOY!!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:02:19 PM »
:woohoo: Death on 3 wheels!!
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:09:11 PM »
:woohoo: Death on 3 wheels!!

I'll be alright :crossed:  I hope :yupyup:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

RokCrawlinToy

• Crawler of Rocks
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 4214
  • Male Posts: 1,030
  • Member since Apr '04
  • Thermobaric Urban Destruction
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:17:22 PM »
Cool, just be careful. A guy I went to H.S. with crashed on one and was in a Halo[?] device for a long time.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:17:32 PM »
pics :beerchug:

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:19:52 PM »
Cool, just be careful. A guy I went to H.S. with crashed on one and was in a Halo[?] device for a long time.

I've ridden these off and on for many years, so I think I'll be ok :crossed:  The horror stories from most of these are usually avoidable, people are just stupid.  They expect a 3 wheeler to be stable (they're not) so they do stuff they would do on a quad.  As long as you take that into effect, AND DON"T DRAG YOUR FEET you'll be fine :yupyup:

-Ronald Reagan

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:24:44 PM »
You know whats awesome to do is just go slow and turn to ehtier side and lean to the way you turn and see how long you can keep it on 2 wheels for. I did that at my cabin for a long time. I also did it on my quad too, It was a lot of fun. I miss my old toys :( But, I sold it to get my truck. I still really want another one.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:28:02 PM »
Good deal!  Anything that runs is a good deal for $250.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:28:59 PM »
You know whats awesome to do is just go slow and turn to ehtier side and lean to the way you turn and see how long you can keep it on 2 wheels for. I did that at my cabin for a long time. I also did it on my quad too, It was a lot of fun. I miss my old toys :( But, I sold it to get my truck. I still really want another one.
J.K. ive done it myself many times too!
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 13, 2006, 10:32:04 PM »

yeah it is Or tip it back and see how long you can hold the wheelie!

-Ronald Reagan

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:04:12 PM »
I like that big tricycle! Be careful though!
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:24:26 PM »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:26:29 PM »
:gap:

But that metal just gets so doggone hot!!  :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:31:04 PM »
No, they're not dangerous. really.  :biggthumpup: excerpt- not copyrighted =Three-wheel motor vehicular accidents are a common occurrence, yet we found little publicity or published research dedicated to exposing the dangers of this popular recreational vehicle, and manufacturers have released few warnings. In a 3-year period, 125 patients were seen in the emergency department in one east Alabama referral area, a far higher rate of accidents than caused by other similar types of vehicles. The most common mechanism of these accidents was rollover of the machine; fractures were the most frequent injury suffered. The very young are common victims. Accident prevention must begin with education of both parents and children about the potential dangers of three-wheelers--they are, indeed, dangerous, unstable machines.

PMID: 3723640 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
 AWESOME!

« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2006, 11:54:40 PM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Feb 13, 2006, 11:56:42 PM »
(edit:sidenote: i've actually lived in Alabama.  :psss: 125 patients isnt really that many.) :bull crap:  so, you're all good man!  :yesnod:
« Last Edit: Feb 14, 2006, 12:12:39 AM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 14, 2006, 01:20:38 PM »
:dunno:  I can come up with many reasons quads should be banned, or dirtbikes.  Kid was killed out here a few weeks ago riding a dirtbike.  :pokinit: happens, but the keywords are EDUCATION OF PARENTS AND CHILDREN  If the rider has been properly taught how to ride, then they will be fine.  accidents do happen, but most are casued because people expect 3 wheelers to be stable, and they're not, and they put untrained, or drunk, or stupid people on them  :dunno:

-Ronald Reagan

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:13:16 PM »
I live in Alabama and I bet 125 of those patients were also rednecks. Just a guess though. lol
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 14, 2006, 04:07:29 PM »
It is now the original honda red color :thumbs: (ok, its  .96 walmart red color, but at least its not pink anymore) 

Its amazing what bending the recoil springs and spraying some lubricant in the recoil starter will do :yupyup:  tightened up the exhaust (broke a bolt :smack: gotta ez it out)

Carb probably needs rebuilt, and the top end needs a new gasket, oil seeps out.  I'll probably just hit that with some permatex, but other than that, the thing is strong.  I'm not sure if I need to adjust the carb or rebuild it.  I put some B-12 in the tank, so we'll see what happens.  It doesn't like to idle, but give it a little gas, and it HAULS!!! :burnout:

-Ronald Reagan

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2006, 04:19:33 PM »
Sweet, have you taken that over any sweet jumps?   Use your head and you'll be fine.  Most of the accidents in my neck of the woods (sandlake) are usually due to shear stupidity.  Morons trying to be cool, or letting your kids play on them unsupervised.  Once in a while there is a death due to a widowmaker while riding through the forests!  If you don't know what a widowmaker is, that's when a branch or part of a tree falls down and kills ya!  Usually with some great force. I know of a guy who had his head taken off by a big branch that was falling out of the tree while trail riding!  Just the chances we take while out having some fun!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2006, 08:15:01 PM »
Good deal! I got rid of my KLT200 basket case a while back, and I know where I can get a 200S in similar shape to yours. Oh, and to those of you that say they're dangerous, have you read some of the cases brought against companies over trike accidents? 90% are completely ridiculous (like the one brought against Kawasaki, guy riding with no gear top speed on a utility trike, makes a sharp turn at 40+ mph, flips and ends up with major head trauma, Kawi settled it out of court because it wasn't worth the legal fight). The way I look at it is, you could slip, fall, break your neck and die getting out of bed in the morning, not likely but it could happen.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Feb 14, 2006, 09:19:21 PM »
BD, yer a crazy :moon:

you better be careful :bat:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:09:36 AM »
Sweet, have you taken that over any sweet jumps?   Use your head and you'll be fine.  Most of the accidents in my neck of the woods (sandlake) are usually due to shear stupidity.  Morons trying to be cool, or letting your kids play on them unsupervised.  Once in a while there is a death due to a widowmaker while riding through the forests!  If you don't know what a widowmaker is, that's when a branch or part of a tree falls down and kills ya!  Usually with some great force. I know of a guy who had his head taken off by a big branch that was falling out of the tree while trail riding!  Just the chances we take while out having some fun!

We used to call widowmakers the branches that came in right about neck level.  riding in the woods, under the canopy, sometimes you don't see them until its too late :yikes:

oh yeah!

Started the trike ths evening, to prove to spotter that it did run (could never get it to start around her) and the non-working headlight came on!! :woohoo:  dunno why, but it works now!

-Ronald Reagan

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2006, 08:55:11 AM »

Started the trike ths evening, to prove to spotter that it did run (could never get it to start around her) and the non-working headlight came on!! :woohoo:  dunno why, but it works now!

That's yer reward for drivin way the heck out there to surprise her :yesnod:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

TrikeKid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 782
  • Male Posts: 165
  • Member since Jan '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2006, 03:29:21 PM »
We used to call widowmakers the branches that came in right about neck level. riding in the woods, under the canopy, sometimes you don't see them until its too late :yikes:
Partially downed trees that are laying against other trees with the oportunity to fall are also refered to as widowmakers, neck level branches or partially broken branches that hang down in the trail deserve them.
85 Xtra-Cab- stuff and things.

motorider228

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 433
  • Male Posts: 460
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2006, 03:44:51 PM »
I prefer these, but ATV's are always fun to play around on.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 28, 2006, 10:16:44 PM »
ok fellers, (and girls)

This thing runs (occasionally) :smack:  the pullstart needs rebuilt badly.  Its to the point where the throwout springs no longer pull the dogs back in, and the rope gets broke because the running motor tries to pull the rope all the way back into the starter :smack: besaides that, it runs well, except for the fact that it won't idle. Any out there ever owned one of these? can mabye help me out on where the idle screw is?  Anything you've done that would help it run better, short of rebuilding the carb?  I've got a get together next weekend I'd like to have it running for, and the carb rebuild kit won't get here before then. 

-Ronald Reagan

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: NEW TOY!!! (tech question)
« Reply #26 on: Mar 08, 2006, 02:05:45 PM »
Ordered my recoil rebuild kit, and I recognize most of what is in there.  However, what is the spring in the second picture for?  It isn't in my recoil starter right now, so I'm not sure where it goes.  Anyone know anything about this?

thanks

-Ronald Reagan