Author Topic: VERY IMPORTANT  (Read 5068 times)

brandino04

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 47
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
VERY IMPORTANT
« on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:22:47 PM »
everyone look out for this email address. motorsparts_auto@yahoo.co.uk. He goes by the name of Peter Reiss and he "lives" in canada. I had my truck for sale on this website, and he emailed me about it. he later sent me a $7,000 check for it and it later came back as a fraud check. now im in debt with my bank nearly $7,000. I dont want anyone else getting screwed by this guy so just keep you eye out for him and check all checks you recieve from anyone. thanks
brandon

sloyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 251
  • Male Posts: 818
  • Member since Mar '05
  • 1/4TiLTKrawlers.Petaluma,Ca. 707-766-9592
    • View Profile
Re: VERY IMPORTANT
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:25:04 PM »
sorry to hear that..thanks for the info :beerchug:
I'm not responsable for my own action's.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:50:39 PM »
bummer dude, and thanks for warning us!

Does your bank not protect against fraud type stuff?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:56:21 PM »
That really sucks, now next time and everytime use an escrow account. It may cost a little but in the long run it will save you a lot more. Even PayPal sucks when it comes to taking responsibility for bad deals. In an escrow account the funds are held until you recieve the product and you release them.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2006, 03:59:54 PM »
That really sucks, now next time and everytime use an escrow account. It may cost a little but in the long run it will save you a lot more. Even PayPal sucks when it comes to taking responsibility for bad deals. In an escrow account the funds are held until you recieve the product and you release them.

...and it works both ways (forgot to mention it) once the escrow is opened he can't screw you by closing it.

brandino04 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:33:59 PM »
I bank with Wells Fargo and i dont think they do ooffer anything agianst it.
brandon

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2006, 04:36:23 PM »
I bank with Wells Fargo and i dont think they do ooffer anything agianst it.

you may wanna look into  it a little, I think they do work with fraudluent activities.  I'm nto sure though

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Compass Creek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 86
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2006, 05:43:13 PM »
His email address isn't in Canada. It's in the United Kingdom. This scam(Nigerian scam) has many different variations but it always involves a cashiers check or money order and they aren't in the country but will arrange for it to be picked up. Google "Nigerian scam" and you'll see what I mean.

Dennis
1990 4Runner 3.4 swap, Downey header, Downey intake, custom exhaust, MSD ignition, Downey HDsprings, Rear Detriot locker, Superwinch hubs, 285/75-16 BFG MT km's, Marlin sliders...

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2006, 06:23:04 PM »
wells fargo should
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

norcalyoter

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 516
  • Member since Jul '04
  • why be a rockstar when you can be a rock star
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:36:04 AM »
i work for a large bank and they should offer that type of account next time what you can do is tell the to put a hold on the check so that way you dont charge a return check fee and have to worryi about anything comin back to your account, and depending on your bank they should have put a hold on that check right away cause of the dollar amount :_order: . did you give him your truck?

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
« Reply #10 on: Feb 11, 2006, 12:47:10 AM »
i work for a large bank and they should offer that type of account next time what you can do is tell the to put a hold on the check so that way you dont charge a return check fee and have to worryi about anything comin back to your account, and depending on your bank they should have put a hold on that check right away cause of the dollar amount :_order: . did you give him your truck?

i hope not...they should have put a hold on it
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:10:08 AM »
dude sorry to here that... thats bs!!! kinda to late but heres somthin i posted a month or so ago http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19370.0
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 11, 2006, 09:13:22 AM »
basically ALWAYS wait for it to clear unless you know them!!! i am never gonna take the chance of that hapening to me!! wait 10 days or be in debit alota money!! good luck getting your money back!!!
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

kneedownnate

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:41:13 PM »
everyone look out for this email address. motorsparts_auto@yahoo.co.uk. He goes by the name of Peter Reiss and he "lives" in canada. I had my truck for sale on this website, and he emailed me about it. he later sent me a $7,000 check for it and it later came back as a fraud check. now im in debt with my bank nearly $7,000. I dont want anyone else getting screwed by this guy so just keep you eye out for him and check all checks you recieve from anyone. thanks

No offense, but I honestly don't understand how people are still falling victim to these scams.  It didn't strike you as odd that he supposedly lived in canada but his email address is from the UK?  That would be the first alarm.  Second, I never accept a check from anybody I don't know for any substantial amount of money.  If they want it they can either send me a money order from a recongnisable bank, and wait till I have it checked out, or they can hand me a wad of cash.  I hope this is another one of those where somebody gets screwed and everybody learns a lesson at their expense.  I'm sorry you're out the money, and hope that you will be persistent enough with your bank to get your money back, at some point they have to give in and re-emburse you for this.  They should have a way to absorb it themselves as a company rather than you as a smaller individual, and should be able to write it off somehow.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:46:35 PM »
No offense, but I honestly don't understand how people are still falling victim to these scams.  It didn't strike you as odd that he supposedly lived in canada but his email address is from the UK?  That would be the first alarm.  Second, I never accept a check from anybody I don't know for any substantial amount of money.  If they want it they can either send me a money order from a recongnisable bank, and wait till I have it checked out, or they can hand me a wad of cash.  I hope this is another one of those where somebody gets screwed and everybody learns a lesson at their expense.  I'm sorry you're out the money, and hope that you will be persistent enough with your bank to get your money back, at some point they have to give in and re-emburse you for this.  They should have a way to absorb it themselves as a company rather than you as a smaller individual, and should be able to write it off somehow.

That's harsh, I didn't even catch the uk thingy though.

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:47:05 PM »
I just checked your ad and saw that you were asking $3500, so I'm gonna re-enact what happened and you tell me if I'm right.

He gives you some reason/sob story why he has to or will send you a check for twice the amount, you keep half and he gets your truck, or he's a really nice guy and lets you keep a little more and return the remainder to him with the truck.  Only after this all went down did you realize that it was a scam and you're boned.

Other thought is, if he's supposedly in canada he pays you extra for shipping, maybe a little extra for your trouble. 

Now I'm really curious about what actually happened!
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2006, 03:54:51 PM »
I just checked your ad and saw that you were asking $3500, so I'm gonna re-enact what happened and you tell me if I'm right.

He gives you some reason/sob story why he has to or will send you a check for twice the amount, you keep half and he gets your truck, or he's a really nice guy and lets you keep a little more and return the remainder to him with the truck.  Only after this all went down did you realize that it was a scam and you're boned.

Other thought is, if he's supposedly in canada he pays you extra for shipping, maybe a little extra for your trouble. 

Now I'm really curious about what actually happened!

:headscratch: I was wondering how his account got screwed too, but it's all making sense now. I don't know what happened to the guy in Hawaii that was going to buy my truck but once I got all the details hammered out with him he never did open that escrow account I wanted. 

Compass Creek

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 86
  • Male Posts: 19
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2006, 05:05:17 PM »
It woud be kind of hard to miss the discrepancy with the email address unless you don't look at the address you are emailing back to. I know when I sell things or am buying I always make sure the address is right. It omly makes sense esprcially if I am making money on an item. This scam has been going on for years. Everything from vehicles, to reptiles to birds. Always the same story.

Dennis
1990 4Runner 3.4 swap, Downey header, Downey intake, custom exhaust, MSD ignition, Downey HDsprings, Rear Detriot locker, Superwinch hubs, 285/75-16 BFG MT km's, Marlin sliders...

brandino04 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 14, 2006, 02:33:22 PM »
Ok This is how it happened.......he emailed me and said he lived in canada but was based in the UK (prob military) and said he was interested in buying my truck. anways we talked for a while and figured crap out then he sent me a check for $7,000. on recieving the check i was suppose to send a cashiers check to his "shipper" for the amount of $3200. I did that, and on the day my truck was going to get picked up i noticed the problem with my account. I emailed the guy and asked him what the hell was going on and he said he had nothing to do with it and, it was the banks, which it was the banks. so i canceled the cashiers check i sent to the shipper and put that back in my account, but after my account shower i had the money i paid off my loan, 1100, paid off a friend for wrecking his car, 1375, and some other small bills. so after putting the cashiers check back into my account and giving the bank all the money i had saved up i now owe 3089. I tried working something out with the fraud department at wells fargo but they are holding me responsible for this and i have 90 days to pay it back or it will get sent to collections. I just got my account in good standings and was working on building credit when i got this stupid check. now im back where i started. yeah i know im probably stupid for falling for the scam but it was all making sence until the end when everything fell apart,crap happens i guess.
brandon

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 14, 2006, 03:47:46 PM »
Ok This is how it happened.......he emailed me and said he lived in canada but was based in the UK (prob military) and said he was interested in buying my truck. anways we talked for a while and figured crap out then he sent me a check for $7,000. on recieving the check i was suppose to send a cashiers check to his "shipper" for the amount of $3200. I did that, and on the day my truck was going to get picked up i noticed the problem with my account. I emailed the guy and asked him what the hell was going on and he said he had nothing to do with it and, it was the banks, which it was the banks. so i canceled the cashiers check i sent to the shipper and put that back in my account, but after my account shower i had the money i paid off my loan, 1100, paid off a friend for wrecking his car, 1375, and some other small bills. so after putting the cashiers check back into my account and giving the bank all the money i had saved up i now owe 3089. I tried working something out with the fraud department at wells fargo but they are holding me responsible for this and i have 90 days to pay it back or it will get sent to collections. I just got my account in good standings and was working on building credit when i got this stupid check. now im back where i started. yeah i know im probably stupid for falling for the scam but it was all making sence until the end when everything fell apart,crap happens i guess.
yeah, I got a couple of those emails every time I sold a vehicle (or tried).  Never fell for any of it, had some fun with some of them though.  :yupyup:  You should dig deeper into you're banks fraud dept, keep asking for the supervisor.  You may not be able to get out of all of it, but your bank should cover some of it.

keep trying :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2006, 12:36:04 AM »
im still a little confused, did they get your truck?
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

brandino04 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:54:17 PM »
yeah the guy never took my truck. when i found out about my account i email him chewing his ass out and the "shipper" never showed up. i wish he would of......if you know what i mean.
brandon

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Feb 15, 2006, 06:59:08 PM »
yeah the guy never took my truck. when i found out about my account i email him chewing his ass out and the "shipper" never showed up. i wish he would of......if you know what i mean.

um no you dont, you would be in jail and have no truck :smack:
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Feb 15, 2006, 07:09:10 PM »
He could live anywere.  I signed up for an email account with yahoo and they gave me a   yahoo.co.uk   address too. 

brandino04 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Feb 15, 2006, 10:59:16 PM »
no im pretty sure i would still have my truck because i know it wouldnt have gone any where but i would of gotten to take out some anger on the "shipper" who im sure was in on it to......oh well though
brandon

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Feb 15, 2006, 11:06:47 PM »
Live and learn man, live and learn!  I'm glad you're alteast keeping a somewhat positive attitude about it all.  Good luck on paying it off, but I'm with BD, I'd push as high as possible in the bank persuing having it thrown out.
RIP KYOTA