Poll

Which Front Axle Breaks More Often?

Long Side
Short Side
Both Sides
Haven't Broke One Yet

Author Topic: Broken Axles  (Read 1992 times)

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Broken Axles
« on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:45:56 AM »
I'm kinda curious to know if one side breaks more than the other, it doesn't have to of been on your truck just one you have witnessed. I have never broke one yet and want to know which one may go. I'm thinking that the shorty will win since it will allow less twisting before it loads up too much. It is the common problem with the IFS trucks but I just want to hear from the straight axle trucks. In the IFS trucks it is almost given that the short stubby is the one that goes bye, bye and is the reason I ask this question. I used to carry a stubby with me at all times, but fortunately I only broke one of those. So post up what you have experienced or witnessed. Also post up your totals if you have multipule mishaps.
« Last Edit: Jan 31, 2006, 09:52:58 AM by Rocksurfer »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
Re: Broken Axles
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:48:29 AM »
I've always seen the short side inner break first.
The reason I was given was that because it is shorter there is less room to twist.

Rocksurfer [OP]

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2006, 09:55:27 AM »
Would that include blowing a birf? Or when it comes to them is it just the unlucky side that takes them out.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 31, 2006, 12:14:11 PM »
Would that include blowing a birf? Or when it comes to them is it just the unlucky side that takes them out.

With a stock setup, if the wheels are turned you will blow the birfield, but if they are straight the short side inner axle is the next weak link.

MiniSimp is correct that it is because it cannot twist as much.  Think of a two rubber bands, the shorter one cannot be stretched as far as the longer one all things being equal.

I have also heard that some rigs come from the factory with a smaller diameter short side inner axle to even out the twist which could cause some steering issues under a quick application of throttle.  This might be a rumor or something that I dreamed up  :screwy:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Lowrider

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Mar '05
  • campfire wheeler
    • View Profile
    • Yota Masters
« Reply #4 on: Jan 31, 2006, 03:57:27 PM »
I have only broken two birfs, both on the long side. But that doesnt mean much, they were both profields, One broke (stub failure and cage / race failure) with a AP chromo inner in and took the splines with it, along with the hub and sprindle. The other broke with a stock inner and also took out the splines on the inner.
www.YotaMasters.com

Lowered Headlights & Disco Lights!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 31, 2006, 05:14:31 PM »
I have broken 1 birf (treated longfield) and 1 stock short side inner, both on the passenger side.  I have no idea how the birf broke, wasn't doing anything hard it just started popping.  The short side inner broke when my wheels were straight.  but that was becasue the passenger side tire was wedged against a rock on 3 sides.  It all depends on what tire is bound up when it breaks.  If you bound up the left tire then that axle/birf will blow, same thing with the other side.  I think the reason more people blow the short side is because they can't see what that tire is doing unlike the drivers side.  I couldn't see my passenger tire caught up in the rocks when mine went.  but if i see my drivers tire get caught up then i back off.

toyrokcrwlr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Jun '05
  • My Yota
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 31, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »
I haven't broke my 30 spline Longfield's yet, but I do keep shearing the studs that holds the hub on the long side of axle!!

I now have the drive flange instead and with arp studs with extra harden pins milled into the rotor housing and still shearing all the pins and arp studs. also and only on the long side!

Suprarunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2006, 05:04:53 PM »
I haven't broken a 60 shaft yet... :gap:  :gap:  :gap:  :gap:  :gap:  :gap:  :gap:

I broke shorts all the time on my Yoyo's though. I was known 'round here as the Birfield eliminator. :talkingn:

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 02, 2006, 01:51:25 PM »
broke 2 short sides and 1 long side.
30 spliners now, have been trying to break them. but so far they have taken it all in stride.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Feb 02, 2006, 02:20:53 PM »
I have broben two short side birf's, but no axles.

Have twisted two rear axle splines and one rear housing.

Oyea and pretzeled a front driveshaft.

30 spline Bobby Longs in the front and they have taken everything I have given them, Time to try a set in the rear.  :headscratch:   :yupyup:  4WS
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Suprarunner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 215
  • Member since Jul '04
  • www.Trailwerx.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:31:29 PM »

30 spline Bobby Longs in the front and they have taken everything I have given them, Time to try a set in the rear.  :headscratch:   :yupyup:  4WS

I hear ya big dawg!!!! Someones gotta try it!!!!