Author Topic: Which t-case??  (Read 1726 times)

GONOVRIT

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '05
  • I'm sorry....I was Drunk
    • View Profile
Which t-case??
« on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:46:51 PM »
I've read through all the info a hundred times and I still want an answer from someone and not my tired as hell reading( I don't trust myself :headshake: ) I installed 4.70's in my t-case('84 forward) and I have an 81 t-case that I was going to use for my duals, now...Would it be easier/better to get another forward shift case to put in front? My friend has a pile of 9 tcases of both top and forward shifts and I'm sure he wouldn't mind me trading him for one or the other, Thanx for the replies guys...Josh :beer:
-Krawlin in Carolina-  Pass the 'shine LeeRoy!
Cummins Hauler/Yota Krawler

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2159
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Re: Which t-case??
« Reply #1 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:51:37 PM »
GONOVRIT,

I have answered this exact question here: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=19093.msg203040#msg203040

Please read it carefully as it relates to your question and should answer it fully.

After you read it, let me know what you think.

Regards,
BigMike
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 19, 2006, 07:51:40 PM »
Well, your supposed to have the 4.70's in the REAR case, so either way you're gonna have to tear it apart again.

I'd use your forward shift box with some stock gears in the front, then a top shifter in the rear with the 4.70's.

Either way, you gotta have the 4.70s in the rear case, or you'll be breaking input shafts...and that sux to fix on the trail.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:02:14 PM »
After reading the post that I linked above, I remembered that it was for a slightly different situation and is rather to complicated for this......

Basically, you must run a top shifting style transfercase as the 2nd case, and it would be nice to run a forward shifting style transfercase as your Crawl Box, since that is what your transmission and cab are designed for.

Also, in this case, like Ryan mentioned, you must put the 4.70:1 gear set in the last transfercase.

So you will need to convert your 4.70:1 case to a top shifting style transfercase in order for it to be installed behind the dualcase adapter.

And as for the front case, the Crawl Box, I would recommend (since you have access to many different transfercases) that you use the same style transfercase that you truck came with, a 1984-1988 Forward shifting transfercase. Then when you tear it down to build the Crawl Box, you will have the correct shift forks and rails for the design of your G-transmission and the shifter hole placement of your cab.

Becareful with forward shifting transfercases as Toyota produced two versions, the 1984-1988 and the 1989-1995. The first version featured shift rails that were slightly longer than the 2nd version. In my experience, it is more common to find a used first version than a used second version. So if your friend has 3 or more forward shifting transfercases, then I would compare the lengths of the shift rails that protrude out the front of the reduction housing (the front of the t/case) with forward shift rails on other transfercases. You should find a t/case that has a longer forward shift rail. If all of the rails are the same length out the front of the transfercases that you have, then I would put money on it that they are the first version.

Also, you could compare this to your 4.70:1 shift rails when you pull the 4.70:1 case out and before you tear it down to convert it to a top shift style.

Have fun! :beerchug:

Regards,
BigMike

GONOVRIT [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 19, 2006, 08:33:18 PM »
YOU HAVE GOT TO BE  KIDDING ME!!!!!!! :yikes:
Seriously, I have had my doubts that my yota will hit the trails b4 the near end of '06 again, but...ughhhh!
A friend and I finished my case up @5:30 in the morning after I had worked a 7a-7p shift so I could go wheelin over Halloween-1 run-and my engine was going bad and weather was getting cold so I just figured I would tear it all down and build it the way I wanted it this year, but...1 RUN! :rivers:  thats all I have on this case and now I'm going to have to tear it down...completey!?  I think I'm gonna look into dual trannies now...12hr shifts of manual labor suck...I"m tired....I'm gonna try to sleep on this.

robrub00

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -231
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Apr '05
  • One Day Ill be actually driving my toyota!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 20, 2006, 01:46:28 AM »
you could always sell it and Start freash you have enough t-cases.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 20, 2006, 09:08:27 AM »
Or you know you could just sell your truck and find a new hobby.

Look, converting a forward shifting transfercase to a top shifting transfercase only takes about 15mins and can be done while sitting in a wheel chair with your hands tied behind your back while eating a bowl of cereal in a swimming pool of mayonnaise.

YOU HAVE GOT TO BE  KIDDING ME!!!!!!! :yikes:

thats all I have on this case and now I'm going to have to tear it down...completey!?

Before you start wigging out :shudder: try to search a bit on the forum so that you can understand how to do things.
Have you seen this post yet?
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=9732.0

Yes, that's correct, those are complete step-by-step instructions on how to convert a Forward shift case to a Top shift case. This is exactly what you will need to do, and I was not being sarcastic when I wrote "It's really not that hard and I could do it in under 2 mins." I am serious, it is that simple of a job.
« Last Edit: Jan 20, 2006, 09:28:38 AM by BigMike »

GONOVRIT [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Aug '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 20, 2006, 03:43:05 PM »
Nice attitude guys! am I on PBB? I know my re-geared box needs to go in the back, and you would know that if you payed more attention to my original post. Yes Mike, I looked through all of that this morning and was thinking why didn't someone mention that b4??? I know I could sell my case and start over/isn't that the obvious?, but I put in some hard work after some hard work on that t-case in crunch time and its not something I really want to tear down or sell. Thanx for all the info guys....I'lll just go back to lurking now.            Have a nice day,....Josh :outtahere: