Author Topic: 2nd gen dash swap  (Read 22969 times)

rEdnECkwHeE1eR

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
2nd gen dash swap
« on: Aug 20, 2003, 12:17:19 AM »
tools needed

tearin :pokinit: out

This piece was the big PITA of taking appart the dash(next to like 15 wasps ) I found that one I poped out the vents it was allot easyer then trying to take the top piece on the pass side out first.

Got the top piece   :beer:

got the dash out, I think later I will put in the ac, yes ac  :eyebrow: :yupyup: but for now I will just keep the 82 air and if I can heater

before pic (hopefully it will be better afterwards  :nerv:)  threw the old steering wheel in for good measure   :bull crap:

Annnnndd, this is how I left it  :sleeping: Im  :crossed: on this one, probally gonna end up making some butch ass brakets  :o oh well aslong as you cant see them from the outside  :angel:
« Last Edit: Aug 22, 2003, 03:45:09 PM by rEdnECkwHeE1eR »
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
Re:2nd gen dash swap
« Reply #1 on: Aug 22, 2003, 03:59:41 PM »
I got it 99% done :king: but my camera broke or ran out of batteries so this is the last pic I have, I guess i will have to find some batteries and see if thats the prob :greengrin: but it all fit fine all I did was have to drill a couple holes in the metal peice from the 85 that has the vin plate on it to match the taped holes in te cab, I *should* have drilled 4 but only did 2 because I was using a POS drill that my mom got at a yard sale for $1 :smack: :smack: :smack: also, the dash didnt really fit with the heater in there so I took it out, and Im hoping the heater and AC shtuff will work in there  :biggthumpup:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 24, 2003, 06:35:08 PM »
I thought that the frame thing from the 85 was important to hold up the dash, but after I realized everthing would bolt to the metal peice that has the vin plate on it I drilled some new holes in it and bolted and started putting in the new dash, it was pie from there out, one problem I had was that my 82 had a factory tach, and the 85 didn't which meant I couln't use the 85 dash because the hook up for the speedo was in the middle on the non tach and off to the right on the tach, and the cable wouln't come close to reaching the middle. because I used this pod it meant I would have to cut the plastic piece that the pod mounts to(the mounts didn't line up with my pod so Its just wedged in there) also, there are gaps on both sides of the pod which I dont really care but if you do you should go find a 2nd gen pod with a tach, or if your truck didn't come with one and the dash you want has a tach I'll trade ya
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Sep 09, 2003, 08:41:15 PM »
GET YOUR CAMIA WORKING!!! I wont to see some pics of how it looks now!! would love to do that on my 83! red you get 1 appaud from me!
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

95TacoTruck

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Rockcrawlers do it on the trail!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2003, 07:50:24 AM »
Wow that's too much work for a dash I think it would have been easier to just go out and buy a 85 Toyota Truck !!!!  Besides I had an 82, then a 83, and now a 85 and I think this is the best one of all. :psss: :moon:
95 Tacoma Extra cab, many mods to come........

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2003, 10:38:26 PM »
a little off topic but in the same area, does anybody know if an '82-83 cluster is a direct swap for a '79-81 cluster?  i like the little bit cleaner look of the '82-83 gauges, and everything looks about the same dimension

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2003, 11:21:10 PM »
The 79-80 20R trucks use two round plugs with round terminal pins, whereas the 81 and newer uses 2 or 3 flat plugs with flat terminals. Also, begining in 81, Toyota used two differance wiring harnesses--std and SR5. ! have rewired a std truck to accept the SR5 tach dash :headscratch: I had to idenifly each wire, remove it from the plug with a pin tool, and proply install in the right slot for the SR5 dash :smack:  Marlin
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

Brandon

• Hawk
  • Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 193
  • Member since May '02
  • I believe in Life before Death
    • View Profile
    • www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com
« Reply #7 on: Feb 13, 2004, 08:33:14 AM »
there is a how to on swapping those gauges from Barney that I used, it was very straighforward, just required pushing out pins and moving them around - and adding a tach wire. But this is simply a SR5 swap, not different years..

For the record, here are the pinout of SR5 vs non-SR5 gauge for 83:

SR5     non-SR5     wire color       function
 1        1            GY           Right turn signal indicator
 3        3            BR (B BR)    Speed sensor (-) ground
 4        6            GL           Speed sensor (+)
 7        23           YG           Water temp gauge
 8        9            RW           Panel lights (+)

9        15           YR           Fuel Gauge
10        12           Y            Ignition switched power
11        21           YB           Oil Pressure switch (idiot light)
12        22           YW           Charge (idiot light)
13        14           WB           Ground
14                                  Tach input - must be wired to igniter
                                                 yellow
15        17           GB           Left turn signal indicator
16        16           RB           Panel lights (-)

19        11           G            4WD
21        19           BY           Seat belt
23        13           RG           High Beam
24        20           GW           Brake

Newly added SR5 Gauge Set :-)
« Last Edit: Feb 13, 2004, 08:33:57 AM by Brandon »
Brandon Miller
RCRC, Sacramento, CA
www.RiverCityRockCrawlers.com

YellowJacket

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -67
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
Re: 2nd gen dash swap
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2004, 12:54:06 PM »
I am doing a 2nd gen dash swap but also a 22RE swap.   I have been looking for tech articles on a bunch of boards for the 1st gen to 2nd gen dash swap.  Did you just dive into it?  Any other info or hints  you can give me?  Can the 1st gen steering column be utilized?  And could I just put a 2nd gen steering wheel on the 1st gen shaft?  I'm assuming the older wheel is larger than the newer wheel.

It sounds like you used the 85 vin plate instead of the original.  Are the windshield curves about the same?  Does the throttle pedal have to be upgraded as well?

PandaCrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '05
  • PandaCrawler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2005, 11:10:41 AM »
im intrested in doing this also... Please post some pics afater you finished it.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2005, 12:31:15 PM »
ol ReD don't come around here no more.

I wish he had put some more up, I like to do this to.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Yeagley

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 15, 2008, 06:25:23 PM »
I swapped the whole dash from an '86 4Runner into my '83. I dont have step by step pictures, but I do have pictures of me doing it. I will have to find them and post them up.

Yeagley

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 16, 2008, 12:23:18 AM »
Ok, I cant for the life of me figure out how to post a picture, but I found a couple.

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 10, 2010, 03:22:50 PM »
 :worthless:

Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.

YellowJacket

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -67
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2010, 10:23:40 AM »

Wow. I will keep this thread in mind if I can find my pictures. They probably aren't too much different from Redneck's. (Not necessarily step-by-step)

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:26:36 PM »
I went from first gen directly to third gen (because that is what doner truck came up). The project came out well...I swaped the complete dash and wiring because it was simpler for me, less thinking. The A/C and heater ducts were the hardest part. If you have a doner, its one step at a time. I think EFI in any TOYYOTA is a plus....

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 11, 2010, 07:30:00 PM »
:eye:
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

yota_79

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Male Posts: 5
  • Member since Sep '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Feb 17, 2010, 11:51:28 PM »
any pics? or diagrams of swappin it?javascript:void(0);

The 79-80 20R trucks use two round plugs with round terminal pins, whereas the 81 and newer uses 2 or 3 flat plugs with flat terminals. Also, begining in 81, Toyota used two differance wiring harnesses--std and SR5. ! have rewired a std truck to accept the SR5 tach dash :headscratch: I had to idenifly each wire, remove it from the plug with a pin tool, and proply install in the right slot for the SR5 dash :smack:  Marlin
79 yota, 90 runner

toyyota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Apr '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2010, 07:23:37 PM »
OK, There has been some recent interest in this swap. The rest of the story. I have a 83 that I swapped in a 91 EFI  (22re). I had a complete doner truck that was wrecked, so I had everything, EVERYTHING. The engine, trans, and rear axle are a drop in. I went with Marlin dual ultimate 23 spline, because why not if your in this deep. You need to move the trans cross member back ( I moved the factory mount tabs Rt. to Lt. and made new inside tabs) and bought the dual case cross member from Marlin. You need the smaller 2 wheel drive EFI fuel tank for a direct bolt in and plug in. Use the EFI tail pipe and CAT, Muffler all the way out with all the O2 sensers. I swapped in the entire wiring, head lamp to taillamp. A third gen dash will fit, (with trimming) in a first gen cab. I spent more time at this point, to get all the A/C and heating ducts in order. Before you can do a CA. smog check, you need the CHP vin check (for the dash swap) and the Smog referee for the engine swap. I jumped through all the hoops...Is it worth it...YES!!!! I know every bolt and wire in my truck. It is worth it for me.

GotMyYotaBack

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 201
  • Member since Apr '09
  • "I like Turtles" Google it
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2010, 05:19:16 PM »
Trekker Build- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64943.0

Aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it deosn't mttaer in waht oredr the ltteers in a wrod are, the olny iprmoetnt tihng is taht the frist and lsat ltteer be at the rghit pclae. The rset can be a total mses and you can sitll raed it wouthit porbelm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe.
So dont tell me I spelled it wrong! You knew what I ment.

bentyota86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 19
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #20 on: Nov 20, 2014, 02:31:01 AM »
Ok. I got a 1981 toyota trekker im doing an 86 fuel injection swap. Tellbme how to post pics from myy phone and I will do this. I'm swapping swapping dashboards tomorrow.  I have pics of everything on my phone

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Nov 20, 2014, 08:27:40 AM »
First of all, you need more posts to be allowed to post pictures.  We have a couple safety features that prevents 99% of spammers on this site. 

But yeah pictures will help future references.   :thumbs:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bentyota86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #22 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:11:22 AM »
How many posts do I need?  I just thought it might help others to post what I'm doing

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Nov 20, 2014, 09:17:37 AM »
I believe 12 is the magic number. 

A bunch of that info is in the "New Member" section. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?board=7.0  We like to say Hi to the newbies, and see what they are about.   :wave:
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bentyota86

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Nov 20, 2014, 11:01:05 AM »
Alright then ninja dude. Thanks for the help I will look into this a little later when I have more time.  I will continue to snap pics of my build tho