Author Topic: Funny motorcycle story  (Read 3329 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Funny motorcycle story
« on: Jan 13, 2006, 05:36:10 PM »
My dad emailed this story he found on another truck site to me and I just thought I'd share.  I thought it was pretty dang funny, hope you enjoy!

"I raced a Harley today and after some really hard riding I managed to PASS the guy. I was riding on one of those really, really twisting sections of canyon road with no straight sections to speak of and where most of the curves have warning signs that say "15 MPH".

I knew if I was going to pass one of those monsters with those big-cubic-inch motors, it would have to be a place like this where handling and rider skill are more important than horsepower alone.

I saw the guy up ahead as I exited one of the turns and knew I could catch him, but it wouldn't be easy. I concentrated on my braking and cornering. three corners later, I was on his fender. Catching him was one thing; passing him would prove to be another.

Two corners later, I pulled up next to him as we sailed down the mountain. I think he was shocked to see me next to him, as I nearly got by him before he could recover. Next corner, same thing. I'd manage to pull up next to him as we started to enter the corners but when we came out he'd get on the throttle and out power me. His horsepower was almost too much to overcome, but this only made me more determined than ever.

My only hope was to out brake him. I held off squeezing the lever until the last instant. I kept my nerve while he lost his. In an instant I was by him. Corner after corner, I could hear the roar of his engine as he struggled to keep up. Three more miles to go before the road straightens out and he would pass me for good.

But now I was in the lead and he would no longer hold me back. I stretched out my lead and by the time we reached the bottom of the canyon, he was more than a full corner behind. I could no longer see him in my rearview mirror.

Once the road did straighten out, it seemed like it took miles before he passed me, but it was probably just a few hundred yards. I was no match for that kind of horsepower, but it was done. In the tightest section of road, where bravery and skill count for more than horsepower and deep pockets, I had passed him. Though it was not easy, I had won the race to the bottom of the canyon and I had preserved the proud tradition of another of America's best bikes. Yep, I will always remember that moment. I don't think I've ever pedaled so hard in my life. And some of the credit must go to Schwinn, as well. They really make a great bicycle..."

RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
Re: Funny motorcycle story
« Reply #1 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:08:45 PM »
 :shake:
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:16:38 PM »
 :biked: lol
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 13, 2006, 08:17:13 PM »
i am a former mountain bike racer, and i used to do that exactly through auburn californis, the looks on the drivers where priceless :yupyup:

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:10:21 PM »
I've never been a big fan of Schwinn :shake_head:
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:33:22 PM »
Dan, I too was a mountain bike racer......errrr, that is till "the incident" :shake head:.  Good shape+high endurance+red clay/mud+17 miles=knees lock up on long climb!  Shoulda realized that just cause I could pass all those people through the mud and on the hills that I could have just waited till the downhills.  It was fun till then though!  I practically lived on my bikes.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2006, 09:46:44 PM »
Hey nate,speaking of riding,ever heard of The Tail of The Dragon?
http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
My budget beater

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 13, 2006, 10:16:12 PM »
Wow, 318 turns in 11 miles!  I'll hafta go back and check it out more thorougly later, but that looks pretty interesting.  I've heard of deals gap before from bike sites but don't know much about it.  We have some absolutely bitchin roads around here for bikes, including highway 36 and the short 6 mile jaunt up buckhorn.  I've alway felt that whoever designed that road had a penchant for racing, cause all the corners are nicely banked.  36 is great cause there are some loooonngg sweepers that can give some people feelings of vertigo.  Some of my friends don't like them because they feel like they have to make constant adjustments, but I feel more like I just settle in and flow with it.
RIP KYOTA

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2006, 08:14:53 AM »
Dan, I too was a mountain bike racer......errrr, that is till "the incident" :shake head:.  Good shape+high endurance+red clay/mud+17 miles=knees lock up on long climb!  Shoulda realized that just cause I could pass all those people through the mud and on the hills that I could have just waited till the downhills.  It was fun till then though!  I practically lived on my bikes.
me too, i spent 5-6 hours a day on my cannondale team bike :yumyum:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:26:56 PM »
As I was reading I'm saying to myself what was he riding like a 250cc twin or something?  :hammerhead:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2006, 02:35:40 PM »
I have seen the dragon.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2006, 03:01:20 PM »
I have seen the dragon.

you've been up to my neck of the woods before?

Oh and Marlin has rode the dragon before too.Only he was in a explorer.
My budget beater

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 14, 2006, 10:10:20 PM »
you've been up to my neck of the woods before?

Oh and Marlin has rode the dragon before too.Only he was in a explorer.

Yes sir! I have traveled it backwards and forwardss. I also ran the BlueRidge Parkway as well as everyother parkway in your neck of the woods. Good country for cycles.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 15, 2006, 11:09:30 AM »
It looks nice anough outside to be a good mountain bike ride day, I need to ride mine its screaming at me
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 15, 2006, 01:24:31 PM »
It looks nice anough outside to be a good mountain bike ride day, I need to ride mine its screaming at me

My fat ass is screaming at me to get on mine!!   my ass> :slap: <me    I should ride mine to and from work, I live two miles from work, but the last thing I want to do at midnight is to get on a bike and head home! 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen