Author Topic: Driveline vibration woes  (Read 2096 times)

ShawnF

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Driveline vibration woes
« on: Jan 11, 2006, 07:26:04 PM »
Hello,

I've got an '85 4x4 pickup with a 22R and 5 speed.  I've been working on fixing some driveline vibrations.

Should there be any slop in the transfercase output flanges, 3rd member flanges, or slip shafts? 

Some background:  I've got 3 1/2" of suspension lift no thanks to NWOR.  It's probably sagged about 1 1/2" by now.  Anyway, I've had the lift for about 10 years and the driveline used to be nice and tight, and now it's starting to wear out.  The first and most obvious thing I fixed was had the front driveshaft slip shaft replaced.  It was the most sloppy (about 1/16 to 1/8" wiggle in it).  My rear driveshaft slip shaft also has a bit of side to side wobble in it, but not as bad as the front.  The slip shafts wore out becuase the useless driveshaft boots that I also bought from  :flamer: NWOR (I was young and stupid) trapped in all the water, dirt, and salt rather than keep it out.  The U-joints all seem to be nice and tight, including the CV joint on the front shaft.  I replaced the crappy two-piece rear drive shaft with a stock single piece from an '88 pickup many years ago because I went through 2 center bearings rather quickly with the lift. 

I have very little vibration from the rear when in 2wd with the hubs unlocked.  As I mentioned, there's a slight amount of play in the slip shaft.  The t-case output flange has about 1/16-1/8" slop and rear 3rd member pinion flange has maybe 1/32".  I've already tightened the 32mm nuts and re-whacked the nut.

Most of my vibration is coming from the front driveline.  When I lock the hubs, a driveline vibration starts around 40mph and is noticable the rest of the way up and varies in frequency and amount based on vehicle speed.  If I shift into 4wd, it's even more noticable.  The front driveshaft slip shaft was just replaced, and they replaced the front section of the driveshaft to include a new U joint too.  The CV joint is nice and tight.  It was balanced and painted and looks like a new driveshaft (I was impressed).  There's NO play in the slipshaft.  The output flange on the transfer case has about the same amount of slop as the rear output flange on the t-case, and the front 3rd member flange has about 1/16" slop.  Like the rear driveshaft, I've already tried tightening the 32mm nuts.  I've also tried unbolting the front driveshaft and putting it back on, on a different position on the flange. 

Both driveshafts are assembled in phase properly with the zerks pointing the right way.  I'm positive it's not tires or some other thing causing vibration (problem goes away for the most part with hubs unlocked and in 2wd).  The frequency of the vibration is too high/fast to be shaking 33" MT's. 

Should there be any slop at any of the locations?  Could any of this have to do with the fact I'm running a stock V6 4.88 3rd in the rear and a 4 cylinder 3rd up front with aftermarket 4.88's? (I just posted another thread about it being stubborn to shift from 4wd back into 2wd now that I've removed the stock 4.10 3rds).
« Last Edit: Jan 11, 2006, 07:43:03 PM by ShawnF »

Marlin

• Inspirational Genius
  • Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 856
  • Member since Sep '02
  • MC³ = 1,148:1
    • View Profile
    • Marlin Crawler
Re: Driveline vibration woes
« Reply #1 on: Jan 11, 2006, 10:39:23 PM »
It is normal to have movement at the t-case output flange.
This is becase the output shaft is turning on roller bearings, not tapered timkin bearings found in the rear pinion.

Remove the rear driveshaft and tighten the t/case output nut to 95-105 foot lbs.
You will need a 30mm socket and remember to restake the nut.

Next check your front motor mounts. Is the drivers side cracked or broken?

The mismatched diffs will have no effect on your vibration.
1980 Toyota - 1997 3RZ-FE 2.7l Engine, Turbo R151F 4.31:1, Triple Turbo Marlin Crawler Billet (2.28x4.70x4.70) = 1,148:1 Crawl Ratio, Marlin Crawler Twin Stick and Short Throw Shift Kits, 30mm H/D Output Shaft, High Angle Drive Lines, 5.29:1, ARBs, High Pinion Front, 25mm HD Billet High Steer Kit, 6 Pin Locking Hub Bodies, 86+ Wide Rear End, V6 3rd member, Chromolly Axles all around, 37" IROKs with Beadlocks, York onboard air - Rollbar air tank, Premier Power Welder, Marlin Crawler 4" USA-made Leaf Springs, Bilstein Shocks, et cetera....

ShawnF [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Driveline vibration woes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 12, 2006, 06:52:33 AM »
Yeah I did tighten the pinion nuts.  After a week, I second guessed myself and pulled both driveshafts off and check them (and restaked them again).  However they were already tight.  If anything, I over tightened them just a hair to see if there would be any reduction in slop.  Since you said that there should be some movement, I would expect this to be normal then. 

Should there be any movement at the pinion flange?  The front pinion is slightly more loose than the rear diff pinion flange is, as I mentioned in my first post. 

I checked the motor mounts a few weeks before I started tinkering with the driveshafts, so I know those are tight and in good shape.  I had a bad motor mount several years ago after an accident and that was very noticable and gave a different sensation. The bad motor mount was most noticable when I was idling and revved the engine. 

This vibration doesn't have anything to do with RPM's and is present when the hubs are locked and even more so when in 4wd.  If there isn't supposed to be any movement at the pinion flanges, then I will probably start there next.  I have to pull the front diff back out anyway due to a leak at the bottom of the 3rd (darn Right Stuff RTV).