Author Topic: stripped thread q.  (Read 1928 times)

2utadud

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
stripped thread q.
« on: Jan 01, 2006, 11:53:19 PM »
bolts stripped 3 holes and i retapped them but the bolt is a little loose than the other holes. q is do i need to tap them for next bigger size or they are just fine for now and just put a locktite in it? thanx a lot.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: stripped thread q.
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2006, 11:57:22 PM »
if they are loose you are probably screwed.... you can go the next larger size and tap that, or use a timesert or a helicoil
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Jan 02, 2006, 08:25:23 AM »
timesert time

never cared much for helicoils
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

2utadud [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:06:50 PM »
what is "TIMESERT"? autozone, kragen and pepboys  do not know timesert. where can i get this? thank you.

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2006, 08:35:53 PM »
They are more commonally called "key inserts". I won't bother describing them, just look at the link. There are tons of places that sell them. Do a Google search for "keysert" or "keyed thread inserts" and you will find many suppliers.  http://www.newmantools.com/key.htm

The only real drawback to the key type inserts is that they require a larger hole to be drilled. If the hole you are having trouble with is very close to the edge of the part, you may not be able to use them. Also, they require you to have an install tool that is used to hammer the keys in without bending them. Helicoils require special taps, so the tool is kind of a wash to me.

I use key inserts all the time at work. If they are put in properly they are a very good repair. The outside threads on them are not cut as deep as a standard bolt. I have seen guys do a sloppy job putting them in aluminum and when the bolt was torqued it pulled the key insert straight out. Now they had a bigger mess because they have a very oversized hole.

Helicoils have their place and I do use them from time to time. If the housing you are repairing has thin edges, if the bolt you are putting in does not get removed very often or if the bolt does not have to take a great deal of torque, the are just fine.

All things being equal, the key inserts are a better repair. Do a good job installing them and they are hard to beat.
« Last Edit: Jan 03, 2006, 08:43:10 PM by 11 Bravo »
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

Willy Mammoth

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2006, 04:08:23 AM »
I never had a Helicoil fail. You just need to drill, tap and insert with a small amount of lock tite.

Make sure the coil is all the way down in so there is no part above the threads.

I have even used them on head bolts without problems.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0