Author Topic: 79 upgrades pending:93 w56 swap,Rancho spring lift !!!!  (Read 2256 times)

chdhpkns

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
79 upgrades pending:93 w56 swap,Rancho spring lift !!!!
« on: Dec 06, 2005, 05:45:11 PM »

Hey Crawlers,

I have a 79 longbed,I just bought a 93 w56 w/t case bell hsng clutch fork slave etc and driveshafts .I am also getting a w56 w t-case and front and rear axles with rancho springs (not sure about the lift but the springs have a major arc) out of an 84 or 85 truck.Which tranny should I use and what should I expect to modify or obtain to do this swap?? Any input is welcome and appreciated!!!

Thank you,chdhpkns

shad

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -182
  • Male Posts: 392
  • Member since Mar '05
  • waiting for warmer wheeling weather
    • View Profile
A W56 doesn't bolt right up you need to modify your front and rear drive shafts since the transmission is longer.
Also you will need either a modifyed crossmember or bolt up crossmember and move it forward and use u-bolts to attach it to the frame.
86 Toyota 4 runner
22re screaming on 4.56's rolling 35's
My cardomain page

chdhpkns [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Shad,   I got the drive shafts from the 93 are they longer (front) and shorter (rear) I am not at home right now so I cant compare?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
What he said crossmember will need to be moved and the front d-shaft will need to be longer and the rear shorter do to the trans being longer, how long will depend on how much lift you do. So lift it and fit the trans and tcase in first before you do the shafts.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile
If both transmissions are W56, then it really won't make any difference which transmission you use. If you don't know the history of either, pull the drain plugs and use the one with the best looking oil and a clean plug.

Like others have told you, the crossmember will need to be moved back and the shift holes on the floor will need to be moved back. Some guys use "U" bolts over the frame to bolt up the crossmember. I fabed up new ends for my crossmemebr and made threaded bosses that I welded to the frame. There are also some adjustable plates to make your stock crossmember work. I know Northwest Off-Road has them in their catalog, but I have never seen one. I tend to stay away from adapters and universal stuff like that if I can. Drivelines are pretty much a custom deal.

Can you get more parts off the 93? If so, you may want the steering box. rear axle housing, front brake calipers (front hubs are an option too). The brake calipers from a V-6 truck are really more desireable, but the 4 cylinder ones will get you to the vented rotors. There is a ton of stuff you may want to think about. Spend some time reading and searching and you will get lots of good information about upgrades.

Are you going to stay with the 20R?
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.

chdhpkns [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile

Hey Bravo,I failed to mention that about a year ago I swapped the 20R with a 1990 22RE .I really like the EFI vs carb.It was an easy swap .The only PITA was wiring the stock combination meter to the 1990 harness.

As for the 93 ,I can get the rear housing and the brake calipers cheap.What is the advantage of having the 93 rear end housing??

11 Bravo

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 140
  • Member since Aug '05
  • Chicks dig scars
    • View Profile

Hey Bravo,I failed to mention that about a year ago I swapped the 20R with a 1990 22RE .I really like the EFI vs carb.It was an easy swap .The only PITA was wiring the stock combination meter to the 1990 harness.

As for the 93 ,I can get the rear housing and the brake calipers cheap.What is the advantage of having the 93 rear end housing??

The stock rear housing in your 79 should be 55" wide. The 93 housing should be 58" wide, so obviously you will need the axle shafts too. When you use the IFS calipers you can upgrade the brakes to ventelated rotors. Marlin has a kit for this or you can use Land Cruiser rotors. By using wheel spacers, or using the IFS hubs, you can widen your front width to match. Gives you better brakes and more room for flex and bigger tires.

I am installing pretty much the complete brake system from a 90 V-6 4Runner on my 1980. Bigger rear brakes, bigger front calipers, master cylinder has a larger bore. I haven't finished putting it all together yet, but as nearly as I can tell so far everything is going to work out with the swap.

It is 14 degrees below 0 and I am late for work. This was typed out pretty quick, but I have to run for now.

Edit-- Don't forget the IFS styeering box. You will want it for high steer if you go with it.
I'm not very smart, but I can lift heavy things.