Author Topic: something poping in the front of my IFS when in 4x4  (Read 2564 times)

furrballs95

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 302
  • Member since Oct '05
  • boot scoot put in 4low and boogie
    • View Profile
something poping in the front of my IFS when in 4x4
« on: Dec 05, 2005, 07:35:39 PM »
i have a 95 toyota p/u thats ifs and there is something poping in the front end when its in fourwheel drive can anyone help me out with this? i had recentley changed out the whole front center section cause i blew out my ring gear in the original one but i had the other one of my other yota so i just swapped that in but now there is somnething making a noise and i have no idea what it is :help:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
1. Do the gears match up?  If they're close, 4.88 and 4.56, it may go in 4 wheel, but it won't like it.  Probably a stupid question, but might as well cover all bases.

2. Half shaft may be going out.  When does it pop?  If it pops when you are turning, and does a soft click going straight, could be a half shaft.  Kragen has them for $90, with a lifetime warranty. 

3. Locker?  that could be the locker popping, which you may wanna look at, bewcause it shouldn't pop when you're going straight.  My first thought is a half, but those usually don't pop real loud, except when they actually let go.

Hope this helps. :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
i have a 95 toyota p/u thats ifs and there is something poping in the front end when its in fourwheel drive can anyone help me out with this? i had recentley changed out the whole front center section cause i blew out my ring gear in the original one but i had the other one of my other yota so i just swapped that in but now there is somnething making a noise and i have no idea what it is :help:
is it only when you turn?

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
the gears match cause i drive it on the road cause we get alot of snow up here but it doesnt pop when i am driving down the road. i was running some trails the other night and i was in low range when i noticed it. and it wasn't really doing it when i turned and i don't have a front locker so  :help:
95 Toyota p/u 3.0 v6. Marlin SAS with 5"springs, 30 spline bobby longs, and a welded V6 third in a trussed 85 front axle. 529's front and rear, Marlin rear kit with 5" springs, lockrite rear locker,  36"  IROCKS on 15x10 black rock crawlers, custom front and rear bumpers,

yotabj

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -15
  • Male Posts: 116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • MAD FLEX YO!!!!
    • View Profile
sounds to me like your half shaft you can sometimes grab ahold of it a shake it and tell if the broken on the cv
'84  Truggy EFI swap ,5.29's Detroit,welded,Dual Ultimate Cases,22re,3 in. downey,4 in.Marlin Front springs on back  114 wb ,39.5 Rockers,30 Spline Longs

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
its not like a klunking sound like a half shaft would make. its like a thud or a pop i can feel it under my feet on the floor it seems like it does it when the suspention crompresses but i'm not really shure

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
its not like a klunking sound like a half shaft would make. its like a thud or a pop i can feel it under my feet on the floor it seems like it does it when the suspention crompresses but i'm not really shure
mine did that all the time when i would turn al the way=the steering stops rub on the control arm and squeek and pop real loud.
but it only did this at full turn or close to it

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
its not that sound i know that sound i usta put grease on them to shut those stupid stearing stops up but i'm positive thats not the problem it feels like its under my feet

crawlerdan

• Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
possibley the conrol arm eccentric bolts loose? shock mounts creakin?control arm bushings?

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
What about a faulty hub?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
i,ll look into those things thanks for the help guys i'll let you kno if i find anyhting.

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Could be a hub going out.  Mine does it but only when there is a lot of pressure on the front, hence when the suspension is compressed.

My other guess would be a CV, or....Hmmm.   Maybe your housing is loose and clunking around?
 Make sure every thing is tight, even t-case and crossmember.

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
well i'll check those things out not really shure yet i don't think its a hub cause i have already had those off and put them back together but i'll check it out . I need a chaw  and a :beer:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Do you have a lift kit in the front? If it does you could be pulling the half-shaft out of the diff. If you have removed one you know there is only a small ring that holds them in and if you hyper-extend the shafts they will pull out. Usually they can be popped back in with a short 2x4 and a hammer.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Also if that was the problem make sure that the ring didn't pop off the shaft and drop into the diff.

furrballs95 [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
i figured it out you guys are gonna laugh because its something stupid i didnt put the nut on the end of the stub shaft and i could pull the cv from inside with my hand so i put that back on and its all good thanks for all your help though guys

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Internet Lassies
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
i figured it out you guys are gonna laugh because its something stupid i didnt put the nut on the end of the stub shaft and i could pull the cv from inside with my hand so i put that back on and its all good thanks for all your help though guys

:clap2: Glad you got it figured out!!!
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club

:doh:  :bowdown:

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar