Author Topic: What is wrong with my ARB  (Read 1963 times)

90slvpup

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What is wrong with my ARB
« on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:32:48 PM »
Went snow wheelin a couple days back and now that i get in the truck to drive it again my rear end is still locked up even though the Compressor is off and the locker switch is off!!  After i drove it around for an hour or so there was oil splash coming out through my breather tube so i pulled it off and drove around now its all over my axle!! i ckecked the oil and there isnt any water mixed in either... what did i do to my ARB  :(

Willy Mammoth

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
Re: What is wrong with my ARB
« Reply #1 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:41:24 PM »
You say you have oil comming out the breather or the air line going to the locker? If you disconnect the air line will it make a difference?

If you disconnect the air line at the diff and it is still engaged there is something going on with the locker it's self.

If there was some moisture in the airline that froze that may hold the locker in. I would warm up the diff and see if it disengages.
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 01, 2005, 06:45:19 PM »
 I have been flogging mine in the snow for the past couple weeks. Have you called ARB customer service? They should be pacific time zone and they are always pretty helpful.

Are you absolutely sure your rear end is still locked up? Are you getting solenoid to "psst" after disengagement?

These ARB's can be amazing, and one big headache in the same trip. You can jack up your rear end and see if your axles are locked with the system off.

:twocents:

Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

90slvpup [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 01, 2005, 07:18:05 PM »
alright thanks guys i'll try and give them a call, when i checked too see if it was locked still i jacked up the rearend and it is.  The locker when disengaged does make the psss noise but while it is engaged it runs the compressor non stop as if the seal was gone...   I was thinking by driving the truck around i would warm up the locker and that didnt help at all.  i didnt think of ice in the line but i dont think that is an issue, the line i disconnected was my diff breather hose not the air line.  The strangest part of it to me is all the oil that is being forced out of the diff... i think it has to be somehting with the locker itself i will try contacting ARB tomorrow,  Thanks for all the help guys and happy trails!
Mason 

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 02, 2005, 03:34:06 AM »
Mason- It sounds like you have an air leak.  The compressor is constantly cycling on and off becasue its presurizing the entire axle, forcing the gear oil that sloshes up through the diff breather.

Turn on the compressor and time how long it takes to cycle on and off. I believe ARB says 14 min between each cycle after engagement. Mine off road is very random, but for the most part does not cycle for up to two hours with both Diffs locked.

My rear ARB leaked when I first got it, Marlins Crew made VERY clear that ABSOLULTELY  nothing can be touching that copper air line on the lower left hand side of the diff during install. If it even touches the housing, it will thingy the air colar and cause a leak. This unfourtunately took me 4 tries before it stoped leaking, you simply route the copper line as close as possble to the third member. If it touched the housing in any way, even slightly, it will leak.

Apparent ARB changed there design from bolts holding in the shift collar to none at all, and I was assured this is a far more reliable design.

Good luck! I know it can be frustrating to have a $700 doorstop spinning pointlessly in your diff.

sAs for the it not disengaging, well shoot I have no idea   :dunno:   Im assuming its a spring that helps return the diff to open. One of the last  gadgets on my truck I wish I understood better.

90slvpup [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:11:55 AM »
I just calles ARB and they beleive that the copper line inside the diff is pinched closed and probably leaking in front of the pinch causing the compressor to cycle through and keeping the pressure in the locker which is causing it to remain locked... man this is going to suck to remove it all!

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 02, 2005, 11:55:34 PM »
its not too bad, really. Makes for good practice for the trail. Just get er done and crack open a few    :beer:    and make the most of it :)