Author Topic: Close to re doing two rears what ratio is right?  (Read 3628 times)

Plowking

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -75
  • Male Posts: 504
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Close to re doing two rears what ratio is right?
« on: Nov 16, 2005, 05:02:34 PM »
Here I go getting ready to burn some mad cash. As the name would state I plow snow and lots of it. I do drive ways no one wants. But anyway looking at 3.0 6cyl. headers 5 speed V6 trans and stock chain case, tires  31x10.5 r15 BFG mud terrains Locker is going in the back and need solid rears for heavy snow
pushing, any Ideas on a good ratio for the app? Who has the best set up kits?  (Strongest)

Thanks
2008 Dodge Diesel  (Cummins Rule)
6.7 manual quad 8 foot bed H&S delete, banks air box
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
stock gears are quite fine with 31s......

yukon makes the best gears
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i would go for some 4.56 gears, you r highway speed  will be a little slower,  but you'll be able to push the snow alot better

hey you might could find a automatic rig with factory 4.30's  they would be better than the 4.10's  you have
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Glen I dont own an automatic, and the left foot aint retiring yet. My white truck did great, 22R with locker, just had to use 4 LOW all the time with any kind of weight, looking to save time and run in 4HI, as this truck does not do alot of highway travel it will be a fun one when its not making money.
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
If you aren't worried about highway mileage, then go ahead and run 4.88's or even 5.29's. Thats low enough to keep you 4-hi with up to 33 inch tires and pushing a heavy load. With 31's it should be no sweat.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Glen I dont own an automatic, and the left foot aint retiring yet. My white truck did great, 22R with locker, just had to use 4 LOW all the time with any kind of weight, looking to save time and run in 4HI, as this truck does not do alot of highway travel it will be a fun one when its not making money.
:slap:  i know you dont haVe a auto,  :smack:  but most automatic rigs came from the factory with 4.30's

4.88's and 31's  :yikes:   if i was you i would go 4.56's    you want to be able to get 60mph  without redlining the engine
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Years ago I used to break a lot of stuff running 33's, so I went back to the 31's, and have had great sucess with less damage on the drive train same abusive driver. Maybe what I will do is wait and see how the new truck does with the 4.11s. First gear will be different from the 4 cyl trans. Now with v-6.
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

toynorcal

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 96
  • Male Posts: 435
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Easyline"
    • View Profile
Coyote is right, 4.56's would work good and keep you on the freeway (slowly). But if this is a work/play truck, I'd base my gears on the basic pricipal... The higher gears you put in it, the more strain you place on your drive train under heavy loads. Hope you get it worked out anyhow bud,  :thumbs:

Ramrod

• smelling like vag and loving it
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 3,600
  • Member since Jan '05
  • fully bodied & Fully getting it
    • View Profile
alot of v6 trucks came with 4:56 gears from the factory

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 162
  • Male Posts: 493
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Living life in Gods county
    • View Profile
how do you find out what gears you have in your V6 Runner?  I have a friend with a wrecked 90 V6 Runner it has an auto tranny,  I want to know if it has lower gears than my 89 extra cab 22RE with a 5spd,  I'd like to put those diffs in if it would work does anyone know? 
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

2005 GMC Sierra diesel, compound turbo setup to pull.

God gave all people talents but the only one who can find them is you.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
4.88's and 31's  :yikes: 

I used to have 31s on my truck with 4:88s. worked good for pulling my tent tralier.

with the 5th gear it did "ok" on the freeway too.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Matt_BC

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
how do you find out what gears you have in your V6 Runner? I have a friend with a wrecked 90 V6 Runner it has an auto tranny, I want to know if it has lower gears than my 89 extra cab 22RE with a 5spd, I'd like to put those diffs in if it would work does anyone know?

There are 2 ways to determine your gear ratio:

1. Look here

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html

2. Spin 'n count

For that you makea mark on the drive shaft and tire. Then push the truck to rotate the tire exactly one time.  While you do that count how often the driveshaft spins.

Your gear ratio is then = driveshaft revolutions. I.e your driveshaft rotated just over 4 times... 4.10 gears you have ...

As the others said already 4.56 gears is right for the V6 with 31's. Thats the stock gear ratio Toyota uses and it works well.

Matt

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
well I cant roll the vehichle but I will check the web site out.  I also started a post in suspension and drive train mods, so I'll check the door post and leave the info there.  Thanks for the info Justin
1986 Toyota 4Runner 22re 5spd transmission and dual transfer cases (4.7’s in the rear). E-lockers front and rear.

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink

There are 2 ways to determine your gear ratio:

1. Look here

http://www.off-road.com/toyota/tech/other/4_axles.html
Great site Matt
Looking forward to making some coin this winter. Like any hobby buying parts for 2 rears and setting them up is alot of coin, and I for one, over the years have lost or blown alot of rears, Speaking locally there is not one good shop for this type of work. So when I do get into changing ratios  out the 4.56s are gonna be the ticket. This truck is not a highway rig
 Code tells me I am running 4.11s

93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Cargun

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 12
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
4.56 gears with 31" tires is about right. I've driven factory 3.0 4Runners with a 5 speed and 4.30's and 4.56's and they have plenty of legs. If you don't do much highway driving I think 4.88's would be good for plowing.

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
I'm going to install some G144's on my 89 extra cab today.  I have the 22RE/ 5spd.  I'm running 31's,  I'll let you know how mine turns out and if I need to look for some 4.56's.  It is my DD so the 4.88's may be a bit to low.  I'll post later or tomorrow and tell you how I like them.

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Pricing it out material wise for locker in the back and limited slip in the front 2 master kits, gears and all and its gonna be 1450 to 1500 dollars for just the parts + setup,
Last year I ran a 22r with 4.11 gears for snow and anything over 6 inches requires 4L, I think a well breathing V6 should do alot better.

Toy487 let me know how it works out for you
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Here is a pic from a prior storm 24 inches, there was a car in the pyle off to the right (toyota celica)
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
I like my 4.88's and my 31 inch tires.  it does fine in town.  I have not gotten on the highway yet though so I'll see how that goes tomorrow.  Hopefully it is ok.  It sure does have alot more torque now.

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
I like my 4.88's and my 31 inch tires.  it does fine in town.  I have not gotten on the highway yet though so I'll see how that goes tomorrow.  Hopefully it is ok.  It sure does have alot more torque now.

If you have a 5spd you'll be fine. you will lose a bit of top end butt if your ok with 70 as a top it's just fine.

and it will give a lot more low end pulling or pushing power. :twocents:

best thing I ever did to my truck was put a locker in the back and 4:88's in it when I had 31's. (now 33's)
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

toyo487

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
sweet that is good to know.  Thanks for that info, its a 4cyl toyota so I don't expect it to go very fast anyway.

Plowking [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Awesome yota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Hey
I just had my first descent snow fall and the 4.11s arent bad with my set up. (open diffs)  The truck moved the snow without fighting or without 4L (6 inches of snow)  Add a locker and that could change not likely though most of the time the truck ran at idle so my help told me.   One wold for all    NICE :biggthumpup:

With the old 4 cyl I constantly relied(4 H) to get get me by.
93 yota 3.0 locked up...
2004 Yamaha Raptor 660R