Author Topic: MY new(first) ride  (Read 3426 times)

SolidAxle

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 6
  • Male Posts: 365
  • Member since Oct '05
  • My truck is 5 years older than me
    • View Profile
MY new(first) ride
« on: Oct 29, 2005, 08:17:55 PM »
i recently purchased an '84 4runner with a 22r,(today) the truck has been sitting and has been sitting without the top on the aircleaner, what should i check/ do before i try to start it, i was thinking of removing the sparkplugs and cranking it over to remove any moisture and any other nasties. i will also be removing the body and was wondering what you guys think would be a better undercoating for the frame, por 15 or some kind of bedliner like herculiner. rust is an issue. any suggestions are welcome, i have been searching and reading posts on pirate and here and have leaned a lot but i don't really have any hands on experience. i will have pictures up tomorrow.
  :flamer:  :help:  :driving:   :burnout:

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
Re: MY new(first) ride
« Reply #1 on: Oct 30, 2005, 05:00:26 AM »
Uhm...it depends if it has rained while the air cleaner was off. If it has then there might be rust all inside and stuff. I hope thats not the case. All I would do is get in there with a vacuum and try and suck anything out of the carb that may have gone down there. I wouldnt think there is too much because the butterflys are closed. I wouldnt really worry about moisture thats in the chambers, I would pull the plugs though and check there condition. I would also check the gasoline. If its been sitting that long then the gas may be nasty :thumbs: good luck on the new you
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 30, 2005, 10:35:29 AM »
If it has been sitting or awhile then do an oil change.  Has the hood been down while the air cleaner top has been off?

SolidAxle [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:52:19 PM »
yes the hood was closed the oil was alright  and i pulled the plugs and there fine, i went to start it and just got a click, my dad thinks its the sarter, his went on his truck a while ago and my brother and i had to get out and push everywhere we went. my dad has a spare that he says works so that will be next weekends job.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:54:05 PM »
yes the hood was closed the oil was alright  and i pulled the plugs and there fine, i went to start it and just got a click, my dad thinks its the sarter, his went on his truck a while ago and my brother and i had to get out and push everywhere we went. my dad has a spare that he says works so that will be next weekends job.

Whack starter with hammer, may be rusted. :_order:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Oct 30, 2005, 04:01:12 PM »
pull those plugs and put a spoon full of atf  or marvel oil in each cylinder,  letting it sit over night would be best to free the rings if there stuck 

when you pull the body  some good rust inhibiting primer is the way to go,  some red oxide primer is good, and cheap
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

SolidAxle [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 31, 2005, 01:11:28 PM »
thanks guys, i'll try the starter  :_order:  and about the oil, my dad and i were spinning the fan wich i assume would crank spin the crank unless there is too much ressistances and its just spinning the clutch, i'm goin out to hammer now so i'll see if i can actually spin it, if not then i'll dump some oil in. thanks

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #7 on: Oct 31, 2005, 04:39:59 PM »
I f it has the stock clutch fan than all its doing is spinning the fan and the clutch will keep it from spinning the motor. 
You want to put a wrench on the main pulley, the bottom one, I believe it is  19mm or a 17mm cant remember. 
That will spin the motor, but remember pull the plugs first otherwise you can jump on the wrench and the motor wont budge.  On mine with the plugs pulled I can easily turn it with one arm.

SolidAxle [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 01, 2005, 01:43:05 PM »
found that out as soon as i spun the fan, i got a ratchet and a 20mm socket and spun and crank shaft at its pully,it felt a little tight but it was no biggie because the truck was in gear and i was moving the whole thing. i'm goin the check what gears i got in the axles by checkin the tag under the hood on the firewall, i'm guessing there 4.10s but you never know.
« Last Edit: Nov 05, 2005, 02:57:40 PM by 4runner666 »

SolidAxle [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 05, 2005, 02:54:19 PM »
IT STARTS, but not for long, i believe it is fuel related and my father and i have narrowed it down to being either the fuel pump or something going from the pump to the carb, the pump is pumping fuel but it might not be enough. when the truck starts, its idle smoothly drops until it can no longer run, when it first starts its at about 2200rpm for about a second and drops for 1 or 2 seconds till it stops. any ideas? :-\\