Author Topic: my 84 reg. cab buildup  (Read 47968 times)

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: my 84 reg. cab buildup
« Reply #60 on: Mar 30, 2006, 05:34:19 PM »
Cool looking build. :driving: How did the bedliner interior work out? I'm gonna be doing mine myself soon.  Isn't there a Runner Jambo down in Tellico soon?
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -40
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Sep '05
  • this is why I'm web wheelin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Mar 30, 2006, 06:23:13 PM »
Cool looking build. :driving: How did the bedliner interior work out? I'm gonna be doing mine myself soon.  Isn't there a Runner Jambo down in Tellico soon?

don't know about the Tellico jambo?  I've never been (going soon)... thanks for the compliment.

I had the pro's do the interior head to floor and firewall.  everything in Line-X for 300 bucks.  I stripped it but it only saved me 50 bucks  :smack:  It has not been wheeled since I had it done so I can't say much other than I like how it looks
I'm going yota JUST so I can buy from Marlin more.

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Mar 31, 2006, 08:29:54 PM »
well today I got

the brakes bled, sliders on with gussets, spare mount w/ tools, and pulled a leaf from the front pack leveling the truck.  woohoo... here's the pics and I'm leaving for URE in the a.m.
It has had some paintwork and vynil since this pic but it's the basic Idea.

here's my first attempt at welding on sliders   :dunno:

« Last Edit: Apr 01, 2006, 03:14:26 AM by MR_DIY »

*quote*-  goes to show that a ramp hero doesn't always have what it takes to be a trail hero as well.

Yota4life

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -128
  • Male Posts: 1,461
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: Apr 02, 2006, 10:49:05 PM »
Its lookin good man. If anyone is slow at getting stuff done its me. Been at it for like 2 years now....Did you figure out how to get the black trim located next to the door back on? I broke mine off when i painted and all the little snap fasteners broke
88 Toyota Pickup with some stuff...
Build up: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11133.160

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: Apr 03, 2006, 04:19:28 AM »
Its lookin good man. If anyone is slow at getting stuff done its me. Been at it for like 2 years now....Did you figure out how to get the black trim located next to the door back on? I broke mine off when i painted and all the little snap fasteners broke

thanks for the compliment... as for the plastic trim, I never had any and honestly it doesn't matter to me... I might make something to fill it someday- but for now it would just be something "extra" to hit a tree/rock with.

UPDATE!!!!!

This w/k I had a troublesome rig.  If you were at URE I apologize for the inconvenience I caused.  I didn't get all the bugs worked out (steering shaft seperates, Drivers brake hose was knicked and bleeding, throttle sticks on inclines ??? , Front Passenger tire went flat)  so thank you to all who waited for me and complimented my ailing rig.  It'll be ready next time.

THANK YOU to Tacoma 747 on the NC4x4 board and his buddies for stopping and helping me get my truck back together.  I was going to the outpost first thing and at 50mph the steering shaft came apart (forgot the collar bolt  :yikes: )  so at 50mph I flew through the ditch on the left w/o steering.  good thing the brakes were disproportioned b/c when I locked em up it pulled left towards the safer ditch/field.  thank you to you and your buddies.

IT WILL BE FIXED IN A WEEK SO I'LL BE BACK AT URE AND DPG SOON!  :yesnod:

UPDATE!!!!!

This w/k I had a troublesome rig.  If you were at URE I apologize for the inconvenience I caused.  I didn't get all the bugs worked out (steering shaft seperates, Drivers brake hose was knicked and bleeding, throttle sticks on inclines Huh??? , Front Passenger tire went flat)  so thank you to all who waited for me and complimented my ailing rig.  It'll be ready next time.

THANK YOU to Tacoma 747 on the NC4x4 board and his buddies for stopping and helping me get my truck back together.  I was going to the outpost first thing and at 50mph the steering shaft came apart (forgot the collar bolt)  so at 50mph I flew through the ditch on the left w/o steering.  good thing the brakes were disproportioned b/c when I locked em up it pulled left towards the safer ditch/field.  thank you to you and your buddies.

Also- I was rolled into TWICE in an hour!  the first one was my buddy Jeremy who rolled 2.5 times at the top of Daniel b/c he was bored.  This only pulled my corner light out and tweaked the fender a bit- no biggie.  The second one was an idiot on a quad holding up their traditions.  we were at the 3pt. turn on Daniel.  we had pulled out of the way so the TTORA guys could get through (I think it was TTORA)  so this idiot says- " I betcha I kin climb dat hill right dar"..... before I could say "let me move my junk"  that jerkoff flies off the trail and up the hill at a 45* angle... well of course the moron gets thrown off his quad and slams into my truck.  then his fourwheeler rolls down the hill and slams into him pinning him against my passenger fender.   I run to help him... when we got him fixed up and out.  HE JUST F'N WALKS AWAY!!!
We told him that he crushed my fender, ripped out my headlight, pushed in my core support.  he says "I didn't do all that"........ anyways- I got it worked out from there and all is good now (no details b/c I was freaking mad)   :maddest:

all those idiots are the reason that trails close-   so here's to you and your group quad guy   :punish:
 :rant:
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2006, 04:37:52 AM by MR_DIY »

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #65 on: Apr 03, 2006, 12:08:02 PM »
Hey Dude I looked for ya but I didn't see ya. But I know what you meen about the quads I had one damnear rearend me and his buddy tried to squeeze between me and a tree and I told him if he ran into my truck tring to show off I'd kick him in the nutz. :mad:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: Apr 03, 2006, 05:41:57 PM »

Also- I was rolled into TWICE in an hour!  the first one was my buddy Jeremy who rolled 2.5 times at the top of Daniel b/c he was bored.  This only pulled my corner light out and tweaked the fender a bit- no biggie.  The second one was an idiot on a quad holding up their traditions.  we were at the 3pt. turn on Daniel.  we had pulled out of the way so the TTORA guys could get through (I think it was TTORA)  so this idiot says- " I betcha I kin climb dat hill right dar"..... before I could say "let me move my junk"  that jerkoff flies off the trail and up the hill at a 45* angle... well of course the moron gets thrown off his quad and slams into my truck.  then his fourwheeler rolls down the hill and slams into him pinning him against my passenger fender.   I run to help him... when we got him fixed up and out.  HE JUST F'N WALKS AWAY!!!
We told him that he crushed my fender, ripped out my headlight, pushed in my core support.  he says "I didn't do all that"........ anyways- I got it worked out from there and all is good now (no details b/c I was freaking mad)   :maddest:

all those idiots are the reason that trails close-   so here's to you and your group quad guy   :punish:
 :rant:
  I would rage on that MOFO!  :maddest: That's ridiculous! :rant: sorry! oh BTW I really like the grating on your flatbed. It has that see-thru look so you can see all your junk working.   :flamer:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: Apr 04, 2006, 09:40:39 AM »
thanks guys... I stay cool headed most of the time... when I blowup I lose it completely. 

thanks for the compliments and I'll see yall the 3rd w/k of April if you're there

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: Apr 04, 2006, 09:47:27 AM »
oh cool, you're going? Sorry, I won't be able to make it for this one (I don't think) because of prior obligations.  :qtip:  Make sure you weld some little gussets on those slider arms.   :flamer: There's a chance the sliders will not hold up the weight of the truck.
RIP KYOTA

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: Apr 04, 2006, 11:21:07 AM »
oh cool, you're going? Sorry, I won't be able to make it for this one (I don't think) because of prior obligations.  :qtip:  Make sure you weld some little gussets on those slider arms.   :flamer: There's a chance the sliders will not hold up the weight of the truck.

I did... thanks  :)  hope you make it

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: Apr 04, 2006, 06:53:18 PM »
here is the "post disaster" pics... small visual differences and now it stops and steers safely  :thumbs:
next up is bumpstops F and R, clean up the engine bay by removing the rats nest etc..., stereo, dash and console.

I am sorta gonna hold off on the next big steps until I have money saved to buy my first house.  so I'll wheel it as is for the most part for a while.  but I'll keep this thread current as possible/needed. thanks

This was my trucks view of URE most of the w/k

here I was today goofing off near the house

MudSlinginYota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Oct '05
  • riggen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: Apr 04, 2006, 07:28:07 PM »
lets hit some "oregon trails"  :gap:
1986 toyota 4runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=61257.0
1997 dodge ram 4x4 (for sale)

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: Apr 06, 2006, 02:37:52 PM »
lets hit some "oregon trails"  :gap:

aight... pm me again. I gotta ask you something  ;)

here's my update. doing Hella's up front wired to headlight switch &  I'm pulling my case tonight for the dual case transition.  add a brake hose I cut etc... and pending an EFI swap or Carb troubleshooting for URE April 21st - 23rd ... Also- adding bumpstops b/c I only Flexed this until the springs went flat... it had more but I don't wanna break one  :ack:

FLEX? or NOT?

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: Apr 10, 2006, 08:05:20 PM »
finished my dual cases... built a rear dshaft, notched the Xmember, went wheeling.  lost power and it was running chitty.   plugs, wires, cap, rotor and removal of about 30lbs of extra wire and charcoal canisters, ac compressor etc...  yielded not only a cleaner, more organized engine bay but a great running truck. woohoo.  also got my Hella's mounted and wired to the headlight switch

got an 83 celica a/c compressor with mount for sale LOL  :greengrin:  ... no I'm serious  ;)

now I have to
add a few lights here and there
re-inforce my ford towers
build bumpstops
install shift boot (LOL)
hopefully whip up a bumper next Saturday.    thanks for looking

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: Jun 02, 2006, 08:27:30 PM »
I have quite a bit of updating to do... will do at the end of this w/k hopefully.

I need some tires 37" to 40" ASAP

6.72:1

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 73
  • Male Posts: 1,856
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Stuck with 2.5ton Rocks....
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: Jun 03, 2006, 08:43:28 AM »
Looks good.
mrkupfer@gmail.com
Cell: (205) 919-3290
www.Kupferphotography.com

Shoyrtt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,294
  • Member since Feb '05
  • VH Runner
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: Jun 05, 2006, 04:39:31 PM »
I have quite a bit of updating to do... will do at the end of this w/k hopefully.

I need some tires 37" to 40" ASAP
37 to 40"?  :o I hope you have Longfields on your list of updates. :twocents:
JOIN THE BLUE RIBBON COALITION!

http://www.sharetrails.org/

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: Jun 05, 2006, 06:09:54 PM »
Better put the Chrome on the list...chromoly, that is.

mrkupfer@gmail.com

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: Jun 10, 2006, 09:09:57 PM »
yep, they are in the plans.  just 27 outers though.  I don't beat on it hard enough to warrant 30 splines.

I have some wiring issues to address and am looking to build a custom dash, flatbelly it, finish exo and mount seats on tube that runs from slider to slider THROUGH the cab and over the tunnel area.  should have some time next week  :yesnod:

found some NEW tires used for a fair price.  36" Firestone Destination MT's... I'll try em' ?  :dunno:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: Jun 10, 2006, 09:46:05 PM »
Give them a go!

Destinations all the way! HA!

Couldn't hurt.
mrkupfer@gmail.com

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: Jun 15, 2006, 08:24:12 PM »
here's a pic update... details later.  flat fenders and a bumper, bed tie-ins  :eyebrow:

This was really fun...

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: Jun 16, 2006, 05:58:14 PM »
HA! Looks fun!
mrkupfer@gmail.com

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: Jun 16, 2006, 11:47:56 PM »
Lookin gouda my firend  :cheese: :talkingn: :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

Travota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 61
  • Member since Dec '02
  • creepin
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: Jun 17, 2006, 05:27:49 PM »
nice, did you need to cut the fenders flat or did you just want to? I just cut mine the way you had yours previously and I cant see it rubbing. I almost cut them flat but I held back.
85 toy
01 Silverado

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:31:18 PM »
nice, did you need to cut the fenders flat or did you just want to? I just cut mine the way you had yours previously and I cant see it rubbing. I almost cut them flat but I held back.

I just wanted to for my exo idea  :think:
I'm sure it would have never rubbed but I wanted more clearance anyways  :smack:

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:33:36 PM »
Lookin gouda my firend  :cheese: :talkingn: :thumbs:

Yeah, almost as good as your scooter! HA!

Really, though MR DIY, lookin' killer!
mrkupfer@gmail.com

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:38:51 PM »
thanks guys... I'm bout to get it right.  soon, I promise

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: Jun 17, 2006, 09:39:50 PM »
lol...It's rockin' like it is, but I know what you mean...they are never really finished!
mrkupfer@gmail.com

MR_DIY [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: Jun 18, 2006, 07:07:16 AM »
I am ordering a FROR xmember/skidplate combo, new motor mounts bolted down, extending the front driveshaft tube, taking the cab off for detail and paint, cleaning up the frame while the body is off, bumpstop the suspension,
pull the motor and do the EFI swap (missing the plate from tranny to motor), mounting 5 new 36" Destinations, front locker soon,  building a dash and using aftermarket gauges, vynil seats, and finally cleaning up PO's wiring and finishing my EXO cage  :yupyup:

who wants to help?

oh yeah- finish building my front housing for hydro assist, welded steering stops, diff guard, fresh knuckles, and a locker
« Last Edit: Jun 18, 2006, 07:33:30 AM by MR_DIY »

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: Jun 20, 2006, 01:57:58 AM »
Dang, that list came fast!
mrkupfer@gmail.com