Author Topic: 22RE FLOODING???  (Read 8412 times)

over_rev

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 230
  • Male Posts: 370
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
22RE FLOODING???
« on: Sep 21, 2005, 05:25:38 PM »
On my last trip Everytime I got the frontend on a hill the engine would stall.Only when front is higher,I could be on my side and it will still run.once the engine does stall I have to hold the skinny pedal down for 10 seconds wile cranking to get it fire up,and then I have to hold it floored to clear it out(smell fresh fuel like its flooded)...It is acting worst than a Craburator
The only thing I can think of is Fulepump, or T.P.S.
Pak It In Pack It Out!!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
Re: 22RE FLOODING???
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2005, 08:42:31 PM »
where/how is your AFM mounted?
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2005, 08:48:57 PM »
I hope ya get that thing fixed, it was a biatch getting through Caddy with the skinny smashed to the floor. His MAF is setting in stock location if I remember right. Stock airbox too.
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2005, 09:07:52 PM »
Sometimes the spring in the AFM gets weak over the years and the "flapper" door in there is drawn open too far by gravity when the truck is pointed up too much in the front.  This will effectively richen the snot out of the mixture and "flood" the combustion chamber.  You might consider trying another AFM to see if it makes a difference.  I've only seen this once or twice, but it's worth checking into....

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

over_rev [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2005, 09:46:43 PM »
Yep stock location,And I took the AFM and rotated upside down no change's :hammerhead:  :hammerhead:  :help:
Pak It In Pack It Out!!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2005, 03:29:45 PM »
Talked to one mechanic buddy today, he's sayin either throttle position sensor or fuel pump regulator.

over_rev [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 22, 2005, 09:39:12 PM »
Talked to one mechanic buddy today, he's sayin either throttle position sensor or fuel pump regulator.
what Kinda Guage Do I need to test regulator?Ill test TPS tomorow
Pak It In Pack It Out!!

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 23, 2005, 08:56:13 AM »
Fuel pressure gauge i guess. Probably like a T fitting for the guage. Would be nice to have one with a long hose so you could go drive it around and see if it moves.

over_rev [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 23, 2005, 03:44:35 PM »
Ok ,
I got some progress done today,I was able to fix the check engine light(light bulb).I scanned it and got the following codes.....6 and 11....6 was RPM signal I tested and everything looked ok,But threw in my Spare ECU and cancelled out diagnostic code...Fixed #6 ,But Still getten 11, Which is switch signal."diagnosis" short circuit in terminal T when air conditioner switch ON or IDL point off.
I am stumped on #11

Gettin close :beerchug:
Pak It In Pack It Out!!

over_rev [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Feb '03
  • No Assistance Needed
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2005, 01:06:28 PM »
 Replaced tps  with a new 1 from toyota.Its adjusted pretty good,Code shot it and now Im getting #10 and #11
   Ive tested my main relay and circuit opening relay wich are both fine.Still cant figure out #11 though
Pak It In Pack It Out!!

GrimReaper

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 58
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 25, 2005, 08:03:24 AM »
Replaced tps  with a new 1 from toyota.Its adjusted pretty good,Code shot it and now Im getting #10 and #11
   Ive tested my main relay and circuit opening relay wich are both fine.Still cant figure out #11 though
This was on a 85 as I recall from your post on Pirate.

Adjust the Dashpot and reset the TPS.

If you don't get a IDL-E off the TPS and you hit the brake peddle with no speed sensor input (stopped) you will get a code 11 EVERY time. It is critical to get that IDL signal as it sets the reference point for the TPS.

Are you positive you got the right TPS? Toyota uses a very similar TPS on most vehicle but the index is different. Example: a 7M tps is identical shape size and will month up no problem but the fork that engages the throttle linkage is indexed 90 degrees to a 22RE.

Ohhh for future refference. Autozone gets REAL toyota TPS's for half what the Dealer get. They are packaged in I think its Wells branded boxes but its the real deal with ND and Toyota stamp on the actuall part. 

http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/CheapTricks/TPS/index.shtml

E-9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Apr '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2006, 09:38:58 AM »
I posted serveral months ago about a similar problem. My truck in a 94 22re. It fouls out # 3 when I turn up hill. Compression is good on all 4 cyl, hot and cold. I went throught the cold start valve checks, new plug wires, plugs, and injectors. I also swaped in different distributor, igniter/coil pac, ecu and air flow meter unit. The truck only misfires when I turn it up a steep incline and will clear out when it levels out. I guess I will pull the head next and see if there is a problem with the head or gasket, unless some one has a better suggestion.

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2006, 08:42:20 PM »
I still think the problem is with the AFM.

An easy way to check what Grim is talking about, is at an idle, jump the terminals TE and E1, like you normally would to check your timing, and if your idle does not change, then the TPS is not seeing an "Idle" condition. The idle must change the second you jump the diag (or the plugs on 85-86 systems) for checking the timing.

If the idle speed changes a bit, then the TPS is seeing Idle. If it doesnt, then, with the terminals jumped, lightly tap on the top of the TPS and see if the idle just suddenly changes.

Good luck
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

toymech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -155
  • Male Posts: 158
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 08, 2006, 01:37:10 PM »
 That sounds like the AFM is going. It sounds like that flapper door spring is broken or weak,try a new one or a known good one. Its tough to diagnose this problem if it only happens on an incline. The flapper door tells the ecm to increase the injector pulse (adding fuel). Your fuel pressure will stay the same regardless. The only other thing I can possibly think of is the Thermo time switch going haywire when your on an incline telling the cold start injector to dump some fuel. Let me know what ya find :turtle:
87 Runner-rebuilt 22re,3 inch downey ifs lift,allpro rear bumper,Detroit locked rear with 4.88s,detroit true trac front diff,Marlin crawler clutch,R151F trans,Marlin Crawler 4.7 reduction gearset,33 inch Goodyear MTRs

E-9

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 79
  • Member since Apr '03
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2006, 04:36:48 AM »
I pulled the head on my 94, as a last resort. It was warped pretty good. I am still trying to understand how the compression checks were always good, hot or cold. Maybe this will fix the problem.