Author Topic: dropped my bike....again  (Read 3855 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
dropped my bike....again
« on: Aug 21, 2005, 12:50:13 AM »
Like the title says, I dropped the street bike last night.  It wasn't too bad this time, but sucked none the less.  A friend was gonna pick up a bug from another friend's after work and I was gonna meet them there.  It was kinda chilly so I almost went by the house to grab my armoured jacket but figured they'd be done by the time I got there so I just went to his house.  I went to pull out and go left on the street, bike bogged then spun up real quick which kicked the rear out sideways, tire spun up real fast, caught and I highsided.  Yknow how when a car tire starts to harden and turn it gets weather cracked?  That's how my tires look, so I definately should not have been riding on them, let alone trying to slide on cold tires.  I think it happened so fast that I blacked out for a sec, cause I didn't know I crashed, and felt like I was dreamin while I was slidin along, till I slid around and saw the bike slidin toward me and it hit me what just went down.  I stood up, did a quick limb and digit check and picked up the bike and pushed it toward a parking lot before my friend jogged the 75 feet over to me.  We pulled the fairing stay up enough for me to ride it and I rode it back to his house for damage assesment.  Damage is 2"x3" dent in a nearly perfect tank, scuffed tail section, scuffed and broken but fixable front upper, bent but fixable exhaust and rearset, broken throttle housing, scuffed master cylinder and bent brake lever, broken windscreen, ground down frame slider(sorta did it's job) and slight scratches on front fender.  I came out of it pretty well considering how hard and fast I went down(low speed wrecks are usually worse than high speed), getting a little road rash on my right shoulder/back, soar shoulder and neck, soar thumb and probably a broken collar bone or broken ribs.  Can't go to the doc till monday morning cause I dunno if my insurance is set up to cover this kinda thing, and their offices aren't open till monday, but I'm ok as long as I keep enough ibuprofin in me.  Wish I had pics to load up, but my camera won't work with my computer.  I drove to work today and had an emt friend check me a little and he said I'd probably be ok till monday, but driving kinda sucked, hurt my neck and shoulder tryin to shift.  Rode the bike to a friend's house tonight and it doesn't hurt at all to ride, so it looks like the result of me crashing my motorcycle is I now HAVE TO RIDE IT!  Damn irony!!!!
« Last Edit: Oct 25, 2005, 10:26:07 PM by kneedownnate »
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
Re: dropped my bike....again
« Reply #1 on: Aug 21, 2005, 12:52:47 AM »
I think it goes without saying
 :worthless:
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 21, 2005, 01:03:37 AM »
ouch, I have been wanting a bike REALLY bad for a while but my driving record sucks and I'd probably kill myself or get thrown in jail. Someday though
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #3 on: Aug 21, 2005, 07:24:30 AM »
Wow I'm glad you're ok from what you can tell...

:worthless:

My mom found a wrecked bike in her driveway (she lives in the middle of nowhere).  The bike was dumped and the helmet was set on the handlebars.... nobody's come back for it, and it's not damaged beyond a few scratches.... :wiggle:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 21, 2005, 07:37:11 AM »
I have to say that I LOVE street bikes and want one really bad but I will admit I'm scared to get one.  Not that I couldn't ride, only that I might kill myself on it or get put in jail for going to fast.  I have 2 friends that tried to run from cops on their bikes and both on to visit the jail.  One only got caught at 120 MPH, the cop didn't see him going 160+.  My other friend laid his down running from the cops. 

Not to smart.  Me on the other hand wouldn't be stupid enough to try and run.  But I'd get a ticket for speed.  I have a perfect driving record (minus my tires being to wide I HATE IT WHEN I GET PULLED OVER FOR THAT ONE) and want to keep it that way.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #5 on: Aug 21, 2005, 07:44:41 AM »
I have a perfect driving record (minus my tires being to wide I HATE IT WHEN I GET PULLED OVER FOR THAT ONE) and want to keep it that way.

You mean you got a ticket for tires bein too wide?
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 21, 2005, 08:48:31 AM »
yeah

its not a moving vehicle violation but it still annoys me a lot.  Why is it that hot rods can drive around with NO FENDERS and NO MUD FLAPS but I get crap for driving with my tires 3 inches out from the body and no mudflaps in the summer :maddest:

I've gotten pulled over at least 7 times for no mudflaps or my tires be to wide, only 1 ticket though and it was for my 39.5 bogger since they're only 18 inch wide :yupyup:

Thankfully it doesn't affect my insurance though

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #7 on: Aug 21, 2005, 10:00:02 AM »
yeah

I've gotten pulled over at least 7 times for no mudflaps or my tires be to wide, only 1 ticket though and it was for my 39.5 bogger since they're only 18 inch wide :yupyup:

Naturally, by the second or third time, most people'da put some mudflaps on :thumbs:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 21, 2005, 11:52:59 AM »
Street bikes aren't dangerous, the people who ride them are.  You just hafta respect the bike and your limits and you'll be fine.  And if you think you'd kill yourself on a bike you probably will, cause you'll always be thinkin about it and won't fully concentrate on riding.  My problem was a large part bad tires and brain fart, newer tires would have responded a lot more predictably than the old ones I was running, even though I was sliding on them every day I rode it to work they still just didn't have it in them.  FFC, the bike in your mom's driveway is probably stolen, nobody would leave their bike if they laid it down and only scratched it.  Where do you live again???  Maybe I could use a spare bike.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 21, 2005, 05:40:43 PM »
I agree

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 21, 2005, 09:39:12 PM »
Street bikes go down all the time up here.  The canyon takes a lot of them out, they can't take the tight turns.  Saturday a bike hit the pavement on Wentworth Springs Road (by the Rubicon)  Riders are always going full throttle on that road to see how fast they can go.  I have to go slow around all those turns becasue of all the close calls i have had with riders in my lane.  I don't like them.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 22, 2005, 01:13:42 AM »
Just for fun.....see if this works....this is after my first time down....
RIP KYOTA

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 22, 2005, 07:16:36 AM »
 :biked:
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Aug 22, 2005, 04:06:26 PM »
Kneedownnate...
Dont worry man, i dont care if you use my post as an example as long as it makes a good point.

I ride too, in fact I just rode my buddy's  2005 gixxer 600 last night.   I will support you 100%, it's all about respect. 
Unfortunately some think sportbikes are dangerous and should be banned,  but its the same case for gun rights, you control the gun just as much as you control the bike.

If you want to get technical, with a responsible rider, a sport bike is the safest bike to ride,

They maneuver quicker and easier.
They stop faster.
Accelerate quicker ( to get out of someones way).
And are the best balanced. 

Just my  :twocents: .  Some may argue but if you have had enough experience to ride a sport bike, and learn to respect its capabilities and your own there should be no questioning.

Pickup_foxrider

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 55
  • Member since Feb '05
  • PROJECT TOY UNDER WAY!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Aug 22, 2005, 04:17:00 PM »
You really need to be able to ride a bike period before you get a bike. The only reason I don't have one yet is because it isn't the fact that I don't trust myself it is the fact that I don't trust other people. People cant drive. I have to agree w/ whiteman.  It is the best bike to ride. I feel safer on my bike than in a big @$$ car.
89 Toyota 4Runner (stock)

91 Toyota Pickup
4" Susp Lift
3" Body Lift
35" MTR
DVD
10" Sub
More to come!!

I wheel with anything or anybody!!!

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 22, 2005, 10:08:42 PM »
In response to the last 2 posts,   :bowdown:  :bowdown:   I couldn't have said it better myself.  I love the gun analogy, you'd think with all my guns I coulda thunk up that one.  Went to the doc today and he said what I've been sayin, I dun broke it, but not on a structural bone, so I just gotta trudge through it till my chest stops clickin and get used to havin a lump on my chest for the rest of my life.  I'm gonna be one stiff old man at the rate I'm goin.......
RIP KYOTA

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Aug 22, 2005, 11:22:08 PM »
I know what you mean I've broken 14 bones already (thats including fingers of corse.)  Just to make sure you understand from my earlier post I'm not dissing on bikes or you.  I love streetbikes all I was saying is there are some stupid people out there.  I do trust my riding ability on a street bike and I'll be the first one to tell you that you can get hurt with experience. 

I guess I'm just making sure you didn't think I was dissing on you and everyone that rides streetbikes.  I DO NOT THINK THEY SHOULD BAN STREET BIKES!!  NO WAY!  They are way to much fun.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Aug 23, 2005, 01:26:37 AM »
Sweet, I appreciate that  :thumbs: .  I was totally serious when I said they should require IQ tests before you're allowed to ride one.  That being said, I've ridden long enough to know that even the most intelligent person occassionaly checks his brain when he throws a leg over one of them and does something stupid.  I don't think they should ban bikes either, and I wouldn't want to advocate restrictions from big brother, but I don't really see why we should have bikes with 150 rear wheel horsepower that weigh less than 500 pounds!  I wouldn't mind having a big bike for the track, but would jump at the opportunity to trade my bike for an imported cbr, vfr or rvf 400 for the street.  My next bike might even be an sv650, but that's more for if I start racing, there are less people in that class and a much lower squid percentage.

99% of people who ride realize that there are two types of riders; those who have been down and those who will go down. 
RIP KYOTA

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Aug 23, 2005, 07:40:41 AM »
yeah I don't understand why some stupid and I will say stupid people buy a 1000cc bike when they have not ridden before.  I just think its crazy when guys have such a cocky attitude about their riding ability when they don't know the first thing about riding.  The guy I was talking about earlier who got arrested after going gunned at 120 but had previously been going 160 was stupid.  He has never had a bike of his own until he just bought his GSXR 600 and he was complaining that his 600 wasn't fast enough.  He is the kind of person who should be banned from a bike and probably with the attitude he has right now loose his license or worse get himself killed. 

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Aug 23, 2005, 12:36:12 PM »
Yup, those are the guys we don't really bother gettin to know cause they'll either wreck(possibly into you) or kill themselves so it's not worth getting to know them.  I always tell people who want a bike to swallow their pride and get a used ninja 250, take their time getting to know what they are capable of and build up their skills before graduating to a sensible 600.  And I always recommend they attend every safety school they can afford(because you really can't afford not to anyway), including track schools, not to learn how to race but to learn how to respond properly.
RIP KYOTA

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #20 on: Aug 23, 2005, 01:20:31 PM »
Ok now I'll chime in on this, I cringe everytime there I a bike ride support this or that event. It never fails that some sunday only rider on his bad ass HD attends and drops his bike in front of everyone. I'd rather share a lane of traffic with a crotch-rocket rider than most HD riders. The problem is they drop them down so low you can't lean into any corner or you'll dig a peg into the pavement and down everyone goes that's immediatly behind him.  I've been riding since the 70's but got off because of having family responsibilities and knowing that one day it is going to happen. I can't count how many times I kicked off a car door as some idiot came into my lane. So you dumped your bike, it happens to the best of us, just like in wheelin' you usually end up on your lid when you were not expecting it, something went wrong, a part failed or you just brain-faded while showing off.......  it happens.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #21 on: Aug 23, 2005, 04:02:51 PM »
kneedownnate....   Hey man sorry about your bike,  I laid my first bike down right after I got it.  Although the bike I had was Already beat to crap when I bought it.

It was a 1990 cbr1000f hurricane.  The front fairings were smashed and would not even fit on the bike,it had 50,000 miles on it and ran good.  The guy who I bought it from said he laid it down about six times  :smack: .  He wanted $1000 dollars for it but after about two weeks I got for $600 dollars.

It was my first Street bike and the only street experience I had was on my moms HD.  I laid it down in a parking lot riding a wheelie I way to small of a space.  The rear brakes were down to metal and I set the front end down and pressed the rear brakes and they locked up and slid the bike out from under me.        It was just out of stupidity.        I had the bike for about 7 months and just sold it here about 3 months ago.  Lets just say i was doing some stuff that was not meant for the street and could have killed myself or somebody else.  I think it was a good decision, as much as i miss it.  For now i am going to stick to dirt bikes. 

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:11:58 PM »
This is what I meant by my tires bein toast, all those little cracks are, well....cracks, just like car tires get when they get old.  I've never seen bike tires do this, but they are racing tires which aren't meant to take a lot of heat cycles, and I did 2 track days and a couple thousand street miles on them so no surprise that they started self destructing.
RIP KYOTA

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2005, 03:30:44 AM »
Sorry about your bike! I read through some of the posts here....and im not too impressed with some of the reply's. You can definatley distinguish the posts from the riders, and non-riders, and the   :twocents:   regarding motorcycles. I do know that gravel, rocks, teenagers on cell phones, and slick roadways do not discriminate when it comes to accidents.

Banning motorcycles is exactly what the "simple fix" crowd advocates. I personally think there should be much more training and awareness involved in the process to attain a license.
I had to attend a Riders Safety Course in order to ride on a Government installation, and I learned much more than I thought I would about riding.

KneedownNate learned his lesson about the tires im sure!  Gald to see your ok     :therethere:

Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #24 on: Oct 26, 2005, 10:27:46 AM »
Sorry about your bike! I read through some of the posts here....and im not too impressed with some of the reply's. You can definatley distinguish the posts from the riders, and non-riders, and the   :twocents:   regarding motorcycles. I do know that gravel, rocks, teenagers on cell phones, and slick roadways do not discriminate when it comes to accidents.

Banning motorcycles is exactly what the "simple fix" crowd advocates. I personally think there should be much more training and awareness involved in the process to attain a license.
I had to attend a Riders Safety Course in order to ride on a Government installation, and I learned much more than I thought I would about riding.

KneedownNate learned his lesson about the tires im sure!  Gald to see your ok     :therethere:

:clap2: :bowdown: very well stated :yesnod:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 26, 2005, 06:03:09 PM »
I have a lot of pride that sometimes gets in the way, but when dealing with bikes I definately try and keep it real and admit when I've done something stupid.  When you do it helps you to start feeling a little better about what you did and can help some of your friends/cohorts see how much better honesty is. Some of my harshest and most ridiculing friends will not even bother raggin on you if you just admit your mistakes.   Everybody makes mistakes, but sadly not everyone will suck it up and say " I fornicated up ".
RIP KYOTA