Author Topic: diet and Exercise  (Read 7541 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
diet and Exercise
« on: Jul 12, 2005, 03:04:14 PM »
alright, time on of these gets started.  Diet and exercise plans, what works what doesnt?  HAving my grandmother here for about a month and a half woke me up.  I really dont want to have to put my family through what she does, because of her health.  I also don;'t wanna die at 57 like my grandfather from basically being fat.  I know the tried and true eat less, exercise more, and that is what I am doing, but I wanted to get some other stuff out there as well, mabye to help others on the board :dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
Re: diet and Exercise
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12, 2005, 03:15:37 PM »
There is no single great diet or exercise plan out there.  The very best one is the one that works for you.  The key to diet is making sure that you get lots of fruit and vegetables, and cut down on fatty foods such as fried foods and meats.

Exercise should be started slowly, working your way up as you go.  Start with low weights and high repetitions, and then work your way up as you get stronger.  Again, the key to exercise is finding a program that works best for you.

I know, that wasn't earth shattering advice, but there is no quick fix for this.  Just takes time and perseverance.

Good luck.

Erik :usa:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 12, 2005, 03:21:31 PM »
There is no single great diet or exercise plan out there.  The very best one is the one that works for you.  The key to diet is making sure that you get lots of fruit and vegetables, and cut down on fatty foods such as fried foods and meats.

Exercise should be started slowly, working your way up as you go.  Start with low weights and high repetitions, and then work your way up as you get stronger.  Again, the key to exercise is finding a program that works best for you.

I know, that wasn't earth shattering advice, but there is no quick fix for this.  Just takes time and perseverance.

Good luck.

Unfortunately the best program for me is the sit there, think about exercising, and forget about it approach :hahaha: 

I used to be in good shape in high school, but once i got out, I wet dwon hill.  guess all that football and rugby was good for me after all :smack:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #3 on: Jul 12, 2005, 03:27:22 PM »
Here's mine:

Cigarettes, Starbucks & Mountain Dew for breakfast, Chicken Quesadilla for lunch, Whatever is in the freezer for dinner, sit on couch & watch TV or sit at computer desk.

I've maintained my weight for the last 10 years.

No Power

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 200
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 12, 2005, 04:54:15 PM »
I wish I knew a good diet program other than drugs :thumbs:
Anyhow I have just been running alot and not clearing my plate.
And don't eat late at night.
Let us know if you figure out any good advice on diets :yesnod:
Roll me back over !!!

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 12, 2005, 05:29:15 PM »
Hey Minisimp...Liked your previous avatar better....bring it back!

* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

88runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 756
  • Member since May '03
  • Click me!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 13, 2005, 06:54:46 AM »
it may sound funny but it works, you got to go somewhere cold, your body will try to heat it self and by doing that it burns fat. you can be sitting on your ass and loosing weight.
Now who said winter had only negatives :hammerhead:
88 4runner v6,
5.29 with 35" tires,
Isuzu Rodeo rear disk brake,
t-case hand brake in near futur
solid axle'd

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #7 on: Jul 13, 2005, 08:44:29 AM »
alright, time on of these gets started. Diet and exercise plans, what works what doesnt? HAving my grandmother here for about a month and a half woke me up. I really dont want to have to put my family through what she does, because of her health. I also don;'t wanna die at 57 like my grandfather from basically being fat. I know the tried and true eat less, exercise more, and that is what I am doing, but I wanted to get some other stuff out there as well, mabye to help others on the board :dunno:

I would find out if your family has a history of high cholesterol.  First and formost get your cholesterol checked. :thumbs:  :twocents:  

PAToyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '02
  • '85 RN60 Shortbed Standard Cab
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 13, 2005, 09:41:05 AM »
I find what works for me is as follows:
  • eat well - lay off the fast food, chips, and that sort of thing
  • moderation - don't go for the supersize servings and no seconds
  • stay busy - you're less inclined to go for the munchies while doing something than sitting in front of the TV

That is about it.  I'm actually ten pounds lighter than I was twenty years ago in high school.

BLACKDOG [OP]

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 13, 2005, 12:13:18 PM »
I would find out if your family has a history of high cholesterol.  First and formost get your cholesterol checked. :thumbs:  :twocents:  

So far I am doign well, I forget what it is, but my cholesterol is at normal levels, my bp last time I got it checked (last week) was 122/80.

Family history doesnt let me fare so well, high cholesterol, high BP, diabetes type 2, the list goes on.  My grandfather killed himself by not eating right and not exercising, and my grandmother is following the same route.  I want to live long enough to see my grandkids grow up, and I know I need to start now :thumbs:

-Ronald Reagan

88-REDRYDER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 245
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Its all for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jul 13, 2005, 01:39:05 PM »
a diet should consist of beer and nothing else :beer:
killem en grillem

88-REDRYDER

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 245
  • Male Posts: 40
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Its all for the kids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 13, 2005, 01:39:46 PM »
oh and the xercise is driving to the store and getting more beer :beer:
killem en grillem

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2005, 01:59:20 PM »
oh and the xercise is driving to the store and getting more beer :beer:

"Son I need to see your drivers license and proof of insurance"......"here you go osifer"..."Thank you Mr. Wallace"....."please step out side of the vehicle sir"......"I smell alcohol on you breath Mr. Wallace, have you been drinking sir?"...."not since they invented the funnel ".........................:rofl2:

lilbuddy

• Dried Fruit Warrior
  • Turtle Points: -234
  • Male Posts: 5,720
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Hella....
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2005, 11:24:41 PM »
"Son I need to see your drivers license and proof of insurance"......"here you go osifer"..."Thank you Mr. Wallace"....."please step out side of the vehicle sir"......"I smell alcohol on you breath Mr. Wallace, have you been drinking sir?"...."not since they invented the funnel ".........................:rofl2:

:haha: Nice!

Nice. Well for me I know its good ol exercise. I used to ride my bike about 10-20 miles a day in Bidwell park and I lost some fat, but gained some muscle, so my weight was still the same but I wasnt as "fat". I really didnt try to lose any weight but I know that works. I think that exercise is the key to loseing weight and keeping it off.
RIP Kyota.... you are the man

GET IT!!!

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2005, 11:27:21 PM »
my exercise is working in a shop. i havent gained any weight, maybe lost a few pounds. i am getting stronger though. little by little i tell ya.
Im an OG

wa4x4

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -310
  • Male Posts: 1,569
  • Member since Jul '05
  • I'm about to tear the curb up
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Jul 14, 2005, 12:48:41 AM »
Im a young one, still in high school, but all I do is I eat whatever the hell I want lift weights and yes, working on the truck is a good workout for me because I use all my body and it always ends up with me sweating and swearing at the truck...good therapy too!
2007 Satin white pearl STi- mostly stock
2006 WRX TR 320whp 343wtq, taken in a road rage wreck
1998 4runner, needs to become wheeler status

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 14, 2005, 01:45:51 PM »
I never was concerned about my weight until here recently.  All of a sudden my pants just don't fit like they did a month ago!  It was like as soon as I turned thirty-three.  And it doesn't help that I work in a cheese factory.  All that fresh squeaky cheese just calls my name!  Let's not forget the fresh ice cream.  I know that I need to excercise, but with my work schedule, chasing kids around, and yard work, I try to eat healthy.  My last two jobs were very physical, (tire shop to delivering beer) to pretty much stand around pushing buttons, putting a bag on a machine, and putting cardboard into a machine to wrap the blocks of cheese. I'm at an age were it's time I got to do something.  Especially, when I got a mountain bike that just sits there collecting dust!  As to all the younger crowd out there, I too used to brag about maintaining the same weight for ten years,  BUT theres that one day, when you go OH CRAP!!!   I'm still trying to figure out when my six pack turned into a dunlop tire?  My next paycheck I'm got to get a new tire for my mtn bike and I'm going to start riding around the neighborhood.  Good luck to all!!!!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 15, 2005, 10:15:16 PM »
Calisthenics are the best there is.  :bananajumprope: :hyper: :bananasplit: :spin: :banana:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -275
  • Male Posts: 1,116
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jul 15, 2005, 10:18:14 PM »
just go to a gym :muscles: :boxing:
2021 Toyota Tacoma TRD Off Road

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

RHG

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 1,320
  • Member since Apr '05
  • WERD!
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 17, 2005, 03:04:03 AM »
Join the Air Force! Nah just kidding, dont put your family and girl through that. But damn I droped so much weight. I was 150 when I started and was 130-135 when I left. Its amazing what constant movement, intense pt, and no time to eat does to ya. Now im a fat ass at 160. I know thats not bad but I'd like to see 150 again. I work out three times a week because I have to and im glad cause otherwise I wouldnt. Motivation is the biggest thing. Have your family and/or girl remind you. Go running with your room mates. I hate running and at the same time I like it. Its lame and sucks but makes ya feel better afterword. Good luck
Only the dead have seen the end of war - Plato

89 Ext Cab Long Bed, SAS'd, Double 2.28's, 5.29's, 38" TSL's, Allied Beadlocks, Half Doors, Custom Trail Bodywork

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 17, 2005, 05:32:34 PM »
I just swiched over from running to mountain bike riding, and may I add that I'm having a blast!

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

Treat every day like its your last, because you never know when your time is up. In loving memory of Judstin.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #21 on: Jul 17, 2005, 06:37:45 PM »
i just started doing 1 1/2 miles before work with my buddy...somehow, you actually do feel better after.

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Jul 20, 2005, 01:40:13 AM »
Or just go and work for the nearest Les Schwab Tires, that will get you in shape.

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

decyfer

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 36
  • Male Posts: 240
  • Member since Mar '05
  • look at that ass
    • View Profile
    • my little business
« Reply #23 on: Jul 21, 2005, 11:59:30 AM »
i watch after a friends 6 year old. that will keep you moving
is it bad when you unplug the power wire from your stereo and it still plays

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Jul 21, 2005, 12:46:42 PM »
get on a trampoline. did polevault for my high school before i moved from houston and did alot of exercises on trampolines. another thing to consider is swimming, not hard on ur body and burns fat away fairly quick. just do active stuff, watch what u eat but dont obsess about it and u'll loss fat and replace it with muscle.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Jul 24, 2005, 03:25:48 AM »
Or just go and work for the nearest Les Schwab Tires, that will get you in shape.

I already did that for 7 years, and my back and hips all fawked up.  All those truck, tractor, & loader tires have put my back in bad shape.  There are days I have problems walking!!  I used to be able to do a set of drives in 45 minutes.  And now I'm paying the price of it, I'm only 33 and have lost most of my disks in my lower back cause of it!! :yikes: 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toybuilt

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Feb '05
  • toy + chevy = Toy-vie
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Jul 24, 2005, 06:19:31 PM »

I already did that for 7 years, and my back and hips all fawked up. All those truck, tractor, & loader tires have put my back in bad shape. There are days I have problems walking!! I used to be able to do a set of drives in 45 minutes. And now I'm paying the price of it, I'm only 33 and have lost most of my disks in my lower back cause of it!! :yikes:

maybe you should try to lift with your legs and not your back? That sucks, it really does. I've been ther for 8 months and now I'm in the alignment side so I'm looking good.

1983 Toyota Turned Chevy

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #27 on: Jul 30, 2005, 09:55:46 AM »
These days they are finding out that any kind of exercises is good.  Just a nice walk around the block or even in the park is good.  If you haven't been exercising then start slow, with some light or not to strenuous.  Save the manly stuff for later. :twocents:

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #28 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:18:10 AM »
what I've noticed makes a difference is not drinking as much beer.

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Jul 31, 2005, 10:35:19 PM »
Quit drinking anything other than water or iced tea.  Seriously.  I dropped 20lbs just by giving up Cola and starbucks.  I just read a study that said that sodas cause your body to retain fats from other foods, rather than burn 'em.  I switch to plain old water during the day instead of reaching for the sodas at work and it made a huge difference.

And if it doesnt, just say you're in shape.  Round is a shape.

Ryan

'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo