Author Topic: Need 22R EFI Swap Info  (Read 1726 times)

wrenchtech

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -14
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • WrenchTech: Content for Backyard Fabricators & Homeshop Mechanics
Need 22R EFI Swap Info
« on: Jul 08, 2005, 11:35:55 AM »
Somebody mentioned that there is a good thread about upgrading 22r motors for EFI.  I have an '89 4runner rust-bucket donor vehicle and an '84 Xtra Cab that I want to put the '89 22RE motor into. It's the wiring that I have questions about. I've been told that I should swap the whole '89 wiring into my '84. The main questions I have are about  the instrument cluster. My '84 has an SR5 panel with full gauges, while the donor has the idiot panel with minimal gauges. Can I make the '84 tach, oil pressure and volt gauge work with the '89 harness?   -- Matt
1999 4runner SR5, 3.4, auto, Horizon Blue

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
Re: Need 22R EFI Swap Info
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11, 2005, 07:51:06 AM »
That sounds exactly like the swap I done on my '84 last year. You'll need to swap the entire wiring harness out of the runner. The '89 harness will work with your '84 gauges. All I had to do was put a bulb in my '84 panel where the check engine light is. It has the place for it just no bulb. My tach , oil pressure and voltage gauges worked fine. The only modification I did to the '89 runner harness was to remove all the wiring that runs to the center console for the rear window stuff , everything else went great. Another thing you'll want to do is make sure you get the clutch start cancel button out of the runner or just wire the 2 wires together on the plug. Otherwise you'll be wondering why you can't get it to turn over like I did.
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

Sundowner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -11
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 11, 2005, 09:00:21 AM »
one big pain you're gonna run into is that you will find a connector from the dash harness to the taillight harness under the passenger seat. this ocnnector is different for truck as 4runners, so you'll have match the colors you need and pigtail/eliminate the rest. there is also a similar conenctor under the driver seat, same deal, but you'll need a lot less of the wires.

for the dash, use the oil sending unit from  your 84 on the 92 block. if you try to hook-up the gauge to the idiot light sender, you'll blow the gauge out. Don't be suprised if you puug in the cluster and the gauges don't all work. there were two different mfr's of gauge clusters for toyotas, and the pin out in the connector may vary. you may have to get a machinist's pick and re-pin a few of the leads in teh connectors to get everything to work properly.

good luck!

Toyoballs

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -164
  • Member since Dec '03
  • The Slow and The Dangerous!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 11, 2005, 12:46:36 PM »
You'll have to drill a huge 2" hole or so in your fire wall on the passenger side for your EFI engine wiring harness. Look at your donnor vehicle to get and idea of location and size of hole. Run all 89 EFI up stuff as injectors and computer changed in this year frame. Pull your dash apart and replace the wiring harness is the hard part, but well worth it. The wiring harness is connected to your body via plastic push in type clip retainers - you'll never get them out without destroying them. I use a razor knife and cut the black electrical tape holding them to the wiring harness - then I use zip ties to hold new harness to plastic retainers - never remove them at all. Gotta love zipties  :yesnod:
Just Grind It Down To Metric...

"MAKE IT OR BREAK IT"
Extreme Off-Road Club