Author Topic: wyotech dieseltech program? diesel mechanics?  (Read 2160 times)

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
wyotech dieseltech program? diesel mechanics?
« on: Jul 05, 2005, 11:57:49 PM »
been thinkin bout this for a year now and finally its time to put my ass in gear and get a career goin for me and make some good money on things i have always loved since i could remember...... i am thinking about taking the diesel tech program that wyotech offers..... what is the demand for mechanics for them big ass trucks? i have heard mixed answers so im not sure..... i would love to get into this but if the demand isnt that great and jobs arent that easy to find im not going to throw 30k down for 9 months of school... ya know what i mean...... sooo if there are any diesel/big rig mechanics fill me in with some info... i would really appreciate it..... also how much do you guys make hour/yearly??  you dont gotta say your exact income but just give me the average income for a diesel mechanic?? thanx!!! :wave:  :beerchug: 
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
I'm not a diesel mech, but I know a few. The mech that works in our yard made over 80k last year. Also , I think we are going to see a lot more passenger vehicles going the way of the diesel, this might be something to think about. As always, the Cali Air Polution Board (or whatever they're called) will be the last ones to see the benefits of a grease burner.
You can make a good living at it  :thumbs:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
One advantage to being a mechanic is you can live where-ever you want, they are needed everywhere and the pay is good. I say go for it. :beerchug:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Go for it, dontthink you'll regret it :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
go for it. i'm considering it myself once i get to college. demand is raising for mechanics right now, expecially in the diesel field. the best areas of pay i've heard are 1. 150,000 a year for 6 months over in iraq. not a friendly place but the best pay i've heard. 2nd. offshore oil rigs, work every other week and are back at ur home the next, make about 100-130,000. usual pay is 60-100,000, depending on ur skill and experiance.
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

PurpleYotaGirl

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Female Posts: 55
  • Member since Jun '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • RIG
I wouldn't go to school there..
U are better off taking it slow and going to college and taking classes.

dinks

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
i just got done with the wyotech in w.sac. i took the automotive course with the chassis fab and high performance motor elective. i found out that i really didn't need to go to wyotech. if i were you, i would try to get into a shop on the ground floor and work your way up.  the only reason i went to wyotech was for the chassis fab and hp motor class, and it wasn't all that. i now work as a ford diesel tech and i started at $20 an hour/flat rate. good luck to you.