Author Topic: Salvage title?  (Read 3651 times)

paradisekid

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -93
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Salvage title?
« on: Jun 25, 2005, 12:52:27 AM »
I am thinking about purchasing a 85 4runner with a salvage title.  The current owner doesn't know what happen to it because he bought it at a salvage auction.  I was thinking about having an auto body shop take a look at the frame to make sure it is straight.  The vehicle is in excellent condition, but I worry about the title.  Any advice?

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: Salvage title?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 25, 2005, 12:56:50 AM »
If its a salvage title that could mean it was a theft recovery.  Salvage titles don't necessarily mean wrecked. ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

RustyToy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 481
  • Member since Dec '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jun 25, 2005, 08:54:29 AM »
if you don't plan on selling it them its not a big deal.
I'd like to quit thinking of the present as some minor insignificant preamble to something else~~~~~

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Jun 25, 2005, 11:26:28 AM »
im pretty sure once another person buys the truck(you), the title is no longer salvaged. thats the case for me in one of my trucks. it no longer has the toy vins on it, but has washington state vins in its place. did a carfax report and it was a slavaged title with the original owner but with the second and me, its a clean title.
Im an OG

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #4 on: Jun 25, 2005, 10:46:34 PM »
im pretty sure once another person buys the truck(you), the title is no longer salvaged. thats the case for me in one of my trucks. it no longer has the toy vins on it, but has washington state vins in its place. did a carfax report and it was a slavaged title with the original owner but with the second and me, its a clean title.
I'm the thrid owner of my junk, first had a bit of a ding. (took the bed out, did not tuach the frame) and was totaled. he bought it back with the salvage title, he sold it ot ...the sec, owner!(still salvage) and he sold it to...........................ME! , still savlave. :dunno:
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Skinny_Pedal

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 89
  • Male Posts: 2,833
  • Member since Apr '04
  • work so I can support my lifestyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Jun 26, 2005, 02:48:15 AM »
california, and washington. maybe my truck is just special. but thats all i know about savage titles
Im an OG

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #6 on: Jun 26, 2005, 07:02:21 AM »
Arkansas is like cali  once its been totalled no matter if purely cosmetic,  its a salvage truck from then on,  contact the owner that had the accident or the yard/body shop that restored it,   my sister 's GMC was sold to her by a crooked used car dealer  :kickbutt: that had the truck half ass repaired ,  and didnt even have a title , :smack:  ,  carfax is your friend  :bowdown:

oh he's applied for the salvage title now,

maybe he can give the next sucker a slavage title
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #7 on: Jun 26, 2005, 06:38:46 PM »
You don't have a location as to where you are so I'll answer this as if it were a California Salvage title and it won't take long.

A California Salvage Title means one thing, an insurance co. paid off on a claim to the insured, it doesn't matter why just that the insurance co. became the owner of the vehicle. Let's use a for instance that would work in you favor, someone steals your car the insurance co. pays you off and then it is found unharmed on some street somewhere and is auctioned off at a SALVAGE sale by the insurance co. You will get a salvage certificate and will have to do a vin and brake and light ispection before you can re-register it of the road. When you recieve your title it will state previous salvage on the title and some insurance co's will not insure it.  So you may get a vehicle that was in perfect condition when the insurance co auctioned the vehicle and still it will be a SALVAGE. Now on the other foot, the vehicle was completly stripped and someone bought it at the auction then went out and stole another vehicle just like the one you are thinking about buying and put all the parts on it. Or it was bought just for the VIN # and then they steal another vehicle and put the stripped vehicles VIN on the good car and sell the stolen car as a completly different vehicle than it was on. Now these last 2 you have to be very careful of, if you get pulled over or some detective figures out what this guy did and knocks on your door and you are screwed. They will take the vehicle away from you and return it to the original owner. If they swapped out parts they will take those parts and then you'll get the stripped shell of a vehicle that it originally was. What it boils down to if you buy a salvage find out why it is one and what condition it was when sold at the auction. Double check the VIN's make sure it does not look messed with. Look at the public VIN in the windshield, and there should be one in the front left door Jam (left rear door on some vehicles) and make sure it is the same and does not look altered. On some vehicles (like Toyota's) there will be a VIN tag under the hood directly behind the engine (imports only) and on the frame behind the front right tire. Also look for welds or evidience of welds in this area of the frame since that would mean it may have been cut off and added in.  Always be very thorough when dealing with a Salvage, they can be great buys for what we do with them but if it has stolen parts on it and they bust the guy you bought it from the police will be knocking on your door if they know he had sold you that truck/car.

So much for being short and sweet?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

paradisekid [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -93
  • Male Posts: 38
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 26, 2005, 08:34:28 PM »
Thank you for all of the great insight/advice.  I am going to look at the vehicle tomorrow, so I will be sure to inspect closely. :beerchug: