Author Topic: Dual case MC setup acquired! Need tech advice with install  (Read 3662 times)

benman

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 7
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Upwego!
    • View Profile
I've allready done a lot of homework but there are still some unanswered or unclear questions in my mind and any help will be appreciated greatly. Two weeks ago I sold my bone stock 89 4runner with massive stripes, and bought a substantially more capable (and more expensive) 85 4runner SR5. Its pretty well built but lacking a marlin crawler. Not for long though!

Yesterday, I picked up a dual case setup that a local guy built and never installed. The adapter is marked Marlin Crawler 1129 which I believe means it is a MC-07 (please correct me if I'm wrong). The rear gear reduction box is marked Marlin Crawler 4.70-1 673 T (besides gear ratio and production # is there any significance to this?). The front box and the transfer section are not marked. The guy I bought this stuff from said that he rebuilt those himself. Both boxes are top shift and I believe should work perfectly with my 85 EFI 5sp. (again, correct me if I'm wrong).

In addition to the trans to transfer case gasket, what other seals will I need to install this unit?

There is no 4wd indicator switch wire coming out of either case. Can I get one? Does this mean I have a noisy style gearbox?

What gear oil should I run in the cases? Is there a proper way to fill them or just pour it in? How much oil?

I have the SR5 console with rear heat, and would like to retain as much of this setup as possible. Will I have to relocate the rear window switches? Do I need a short throw or riser kits? (There is a 2" body lift on the truck.)

Finally, it looks to me like the cases were built or rebuilt right and are in drivable condition. Is there any real important things to check to make sure?

This will get me started for now, it'll probably be a week or two before I actually take the first step towards crawler bliss!  :driving:

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
Wow, you've got a lot of ?'s. I'll see what I can do. I won't be able to answer all of them though. Some of what I can't answer you will find on Marlins web site.
1. you should not need any other seals besides the tranny to tcase.
2. strange there is no indicator, yes you can add. call Marlin Crawler and you will be able to purchase
3. standard gear oil 90w, or nearest multi weight.
4. usually the rear shifter comes up in the little cubby hole behind the window switch, i'm not positive on yours. I think its the same. with the body lift a short throw will definetly help, especially on the rear case because space is tight. again call Marlins shop.
5. if the guy did a good job putting everything back togeather there's not really anyting else to worry about. these things are nearly bullet proof. spin the input shaft and run it through all the gear combos if it doesn't bind up anywhere you're golden
Good luck, and enjoy....you'll love it!

Westy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
...so my question is what are you doing with the soon to be extra case in your truck??

Dual Marlin Ultimate + extra case....hmmm....

Go Triple!   8)
'86 Pickup flatbed...

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Does your runner have a forward shift in it right now or a top shift?  If it has a forward shift then you will ne to make a plate to cover the hole were the old t-case shifter came through on the back of the tranny.  If it has a top shift then it is fine.

benman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Upwego!
    • View Profile
My current truck has a topshift gearbox, so I guess I'm fine there. I think that I am going to need a short shift kit from Marlin, but just on the rear box right? I am curious if there is any special procedure to fill the dual case setup with oil and I'm not sure on the quantity either. The box that is going to come out of my truck has a 4wd indicator switch, so I'm pretty sure that I can just use this on the dual setup. Also I shifted through all of the gear combos and everything feels fine and spins free. I can't wait to get this thing in. :greengrin:

I guess my biggest curiosity right now is wether I have the quiet gearset or the noisy style gears in the other gearbox. Is there any way to tell an 83 style topshift case from an 85 style topshift case?    :headscratch:  Also, how are the Marlin gears with noise?

Tripple cases!!!! I'm going from like 60:1 to over 200:1 more would be shear madness!   :hammer:

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
There should be a fill plug for gear oil on the side of the case. I have "noisy" gears in both my cases and neither are loud enough to notice, especially if you're fucused on wheeling. Plus those in an go!
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
Teh fill plug is on the back of the case.  but the easiest way i have found is to pour it straight through the shifter holes.  I think that dual cases take about 2.5 quarts acording to the size/capacity thread.

b_ripper8

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 371
  • Male Posts: 275
  • Member since May '04
  • 3RZ-FE power is that much closer.
    • View Profile
You don't want to overfill though, could blow some seals.
In Progress: 3RZ-FE Swap Underway.

Currently: 87' 4Runner - SAS - 5.29's - welded rear - Dual 2.28 cases - Optima bluetop - round headlight conversion - FZJ80 grill - rattlecan paint job - trimmed fenders - Ranger hybrid springs front - Tacoma hybrid springs rear - schedule 160 drivelines 8" slip front - Marlin's crossmember - disk brake conversion

benman [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Upwego!
    • View Profile
Allright, thanks for all that. Now another preliminary question.

I've noticed that while going up long steep and rocky hills in factory low range I start to smell burning clutch. I have my foot off the clutch pedal completely and I'm sure that the clutch is engaged. I'm thinking that the extra torque load of lower gearing might cause the generic clutch to slip. Can anyone back this up? I see that marlin sells a 1600lb pressure plate ceramic clutch kit and I'm thinking this may be necessary with my truck especially with the crawl box installed. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2005, 08:41:02 PM by benman »

derek

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -61
  • Male Posts: 600
  • Member since May '02
  • slow truck=more time to nap
    • View Profile
how many miles on the clutch?
it may just be worn out.
the gears make it easier on the clutch since you dont have to work it at all wheelin.
i have been running the same autozone cheapy clutch for 4 years now without a problem.

derek