Author Topic: Bootyfab 101  (Read 2435 times)

Makman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Bootyfab 101
« on: May 15, 2005, 09:10:29 PM »
This is a thread dedicated to the "bootyfabricator" we all claim not to be, but know that we are.  I want to see you guys top this.  This could get interesting.

Project of the day:  Put new gauges into truck so it can drive to the exhaust shop for more than the straight header approach:

- 4.3 engine swap; ca-ching! money tree pruned to a stump, then burned for good measure.  :flamer:
   - 4L60E to Toyota T-case adapter...several nights of lost sleep on a CNC mill. :yawn:
   - Wires, wires, oh my freakin-A so many wires!  :headscratch:
   - Anxiety...high.
   - New dash cluster mounting; priceless...I mean costless.   :haha:  I glued 4 layers of 3/4" thick high density foam, trimmed a few holes, dropped the gauges in, and zip tied it all to the dash.  The bar has been set.  :screwy:

I'm calling it temporary but you know how these things go.  Another funny detail about the 25 minute drive to the exhaust shop.  A Sherrif passed me, all 120 decibels of me (since I lifted as he slowly crept by) but luckily he was having difficulty hearing the other person on his cell phone so he speed away.  I knew I should've bought a lottery ticket today.
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,059
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Bootyfab 101
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2005, 09:17:52 PM »
That seems like a fairly complicated "booty fab" project that I can't top.

When I purchased my 2004 Tundra I couldn't figure out how to shut off the BEEP when the doors were locked and unlocked.  Even the dealer couldn't figure it out.  It seems that the process in the manual only works on trucks with alarm systems installed, at least that is the only thing that I can think of.  In any case, I found a "booty fab" online that seemed like a good plan so I stuffed a piece of towel into the speaker and then taped over it.  It is a very ghetto fix, but the end result is great, I still have an audible sound, but it can only be heard within about 20 feet of the truck so no disturbed neighbors at the complex.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Makman [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 98
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2005, 10:08:45 PM »
 :bowdown:  I love it!  Reminds me of the "electrical tape over the engine warning light trick" which is only slightly better than the "turn the radio up to drown out the grinding brakes trick".
If it never breaks, people can only speculate how much it was overbuilt.

Wraith

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -37
  • Member since Aug '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2005, 10:18:06 AM »
That's definately some interesting work you've done there.  :gap:
"Why yes I am an extremist, thank you for noticing" Ted Nugent
"There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action" Einstein

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2005, 10:37:35 AM »
Ok....so the truck is temporary but the gauges are permanent? :hammerhead:  :smack: :burnout: I like it

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2005, 11:28:11 AM »
I like it :dunno:  at least it isnt done like my half :moon: job on my driverside door latch.

the drivers side encounter with a rock left the latch loop a bit far back for the latch to catch on, so I took it off, put 4 washers on each bolt as spacers and bolted it back up  :thumbs:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

germ

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 349
  • Male Posts: 733
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Work sucks, I'm goin' wheelin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 10:23:03 AM »
My best booty-fab trick happened several years ago with a POS Heep cherokee I suffered with for a few years. Driving up to Tahoe, the vacume pod on the carburetor fell off, and jammed the throttle linkage wide open. Scared the $hit out of me and my brother in law, as I had to shut off the engine in order to not blow it up (prolly should have let it blow in retrospect). Should have seen his face as i was standing on the now powerless brakes, trying to keep from going over the edge of a cliff  :shocking: .

Anyway, found a paperclip on the floor, and hooked the vacume pod back where it was supposed to go. Told everyone I would fix it when I got home. 3 years later, sold the POS with the paperclip still in place, doing a great job.

Erik  :beerchug:
* Regardless of what happens, someone will find a way to take it too seriously.
* 2% rule: Must be 2% smarter than what your working on.
* If you make something even a fool can use, only a fool will use it.
* I've been crapping in the woods longer than lil'buddy has been alive!

grandeyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 395
  • Male Posts: 32
  • Member since Apr '05
  • The Gonkulator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2005, 10:21:02 AM »
I replaced my bench seat with some buckets I pulled out of a hyundai scoupe we blew up at the mud races. Carrying a few things home with me, I found that a 5 gallon home depot bucket fit right inbetween the seat and is perfect for resting your arm on. Oh but wait, does the 10 sub fit in the bottom of that bucket? Sure does. Theres my booty-fab addition.

Even used white silicone on a black speaker to get it working again.
The skies are always sunny in the heart of flavor country

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2005, 10:30:17 AM »
I replaced my bench seat with some buckets I pulled out of a hyundai scoupe we blew up at the mud races. Carrying a few things home with me, I found that a 5 gallon home depot bucket fit right inbetween the seat and is perfect for resting your arm on. Oh but wait, does the 10 sub fit in the bottom of that bucket? Sure does. Theres my booty-fab addition.

Even used white silicone on a black speaker to get it working again.

:talkingn: That's a good one, does the lid ever blow off?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2005, 10:39:56 AM »
A few of my fellow club members came up with this fine example of booty fab this weekend at Johnson Valley. He drove it home this way. :shocking:

The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you