Author Topic: bfg mud t/a or radial claws??  (Read 7040 times)

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: bfg mud t/a or radial claws??
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2005, 10:33:24 AM »
the guy i had mount and balance them was a moron.  so i decided i wanted to try out the BB's in the tire thing.  i put about 8 onces in each tire and now they are really smooth

How exactly does that work?  do you just guess? put in an even wieght in each tire?
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2005, 12:48:29 PM »
Blackdog you act like you have never heard of that before?  Ive bee doing it for years and I always recomend it.  Basically put 2 shots in each tire if they are over 35's and 1 for under.  You cant put too much in.

It works to balance the tires bu moving around to the light spots in the tire to make them spin true.  If you put a tire that has bb's on a balance machine it will read WAY off.  It needs that flat spot that is created by the tire rolling on the road to work properly.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 12, 2005, 12:54:19 PM »
Blackdog you act like you have never heard of that before?  Ive bee doing it for years and I always recomend it.  Basically put 2 shots in each tire if they are over 35's and 1 for under.  You cant put too much in.

It works to balance the tires bu moving around to the light spots in the tire to make them spin true.  If you put a tire that has bb's on a balance machine it will read WAY off.  It needs that flat spot that is created by the tire rolling on the road to work properly.

I've heard of it before, I know you recommend it, and I was planning on doing it, I just didnt know how to measure it out, how much to put in :thumbs:  thanks WT
:psss: by shots do you mean shot glasses? 

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 12, 2005, 12:57:43 PM »
Yup good old fashioned shot glass does the trick.  Also remember to use quicksilver bb's not copperheads.  The copper heads have a copper coating that will chip off and clog your valve core.  Ask me how I know...

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 12, 2005, 01:00:04 PM »
Yup good old fashioned shot glass does the trick.  Also remember to use quicksilver bb's not copperheads.  The copper heads have a copper coating that will chip off and clog your valve core.  Ask me how I know...

:thumbs: cool thanks!!

watch, now that I know how this and the bead mounting trick work, ya'll are gonna hear a news story about how some kid made a bomb out of a tire, a handful of bbs, and a bottle of rubbing acohol, and blew himself up :hahaha:

-Ronald Reagan

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2005, 01:02:35 PM »
BB's = shrapnel....  Hmm cool. :gap:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2005, 03:29:44 AM »
:smack:    i have always used starting fluid on semi tires,  you can remount a bead without removing the wheel from the truck or even jacking it up,    but remember   truck tires are 14-16 ply
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

unclejpl4x4

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 348
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Apr '05
  • Broke & rusted
    • View Profile
    • myspace
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2005, 04:28:49 AM »

:thumbs: cool thanks!!

watch, now that I know how this and the bead mounting trick work, ya'll are gonna hear a news story about how some kid made a bomb out of a tire, a handful of bbs, and a bottle of rubbing acohol, and blew himself up :hahaha:

O boy :shakehead:     ya thats a no-no :slap:
Just go down to your local truck/tire place and get the right stuff/  if your doing tires alot anyhoot  you should have your own cheetah air tank.
build thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39214.0
CB install http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=45467.0
roundeyes http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=33294.0;highlight=round+eyes
LC exhaust head 2 tip, EB RVstreethead O/S valves,EB  268c/torker cam , .20 over , metal t-chain wear pads
MARLIN clutch 1200, master clutch cly

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2005, 09:57:07 AM »
I picked up a couple tire irons recently and found them really not all that much of a pain to use when coupled with a ratchet strap.  Hell of a lot safer than the starting fluid technique, although maybe not as much fun as playing with fire.

You also might want to look into CounterAct balancing beads.  Not as noisy as BBs and reportedly doesn't clump like Equal can.  I got 8oz/tire for a 36x12.5x15 and hope to roll my junk out of the garage this weekend finally to see how it does.  The sales guy told me the first couple miles or so can feel kinda hairy til the bags break and beads spread around, but also had nothing but good to say about it after those first couple miles.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2005, 10:08:45 AM by WileEToyote »
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2005, 10:04:33 AM »
I think I'd rather go with the cheaper BBs  How much was the counteract stuff?

-Ronald Reagan

WileEToyote

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2005, 10:07:58 AM »
iirc about $8/bag - still less than a mount and balance was how I looked at it, and definitely less than all the balances I'd need in a season.
~Adam
96 T100, Dana44, lockers and stuff
75 FJ40, stock for the moment

WHITE_TRASH

• Member since Feb '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2005, 01:31:17 PM »
The only time that bb's make any noise is when you come to a stop.  When they fall out of gravity they bounce off the wheel.  I love it just for the strange looks I get at stoplights. :gap: