Author Topic: ball joint spacers and lc coils  (Read 2333 times)

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
ball joint spacers and lc coils
« on: Apr 17, 2005, 10:21:27 PM »
OK me and one of my buddies are lookin at these! i was woundering if anyone has herd anything about them if they work it they dont. yada yada yada. any input on this would be really help full! i was also woundering if anyone has put lc coils under their runner to get the 5.5 inches of lift?? i am jsut woundering if its jsut stock coils that can do that for you7 because all poo sells coils for 168 for a pair and i am woundering if those are jsut basic stock coils? i am jsut looking for some way to lift my runner a lil bit more for some more clearence for tires
« Last Edit: Apr 17, 2005, 11:52:14 PM by mudaddict »
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: ball joint spacers and lc coils
« Reply #1 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:09:34 AM »
Search around at yotatech, lots of good info on both questions.  You want the stock FJ80/fzj80 coils.  You do not want the lift coils from allpro because those will lift the 4runner way too much for just the bj spacers.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

hudlenutz

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 22
  • Male Posts: 220
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
    • My Page
« Reply #2 on: Apr 18, 2005, 11:32:15 AM »
Might not be the answer you're looking for, but here goes:

I'm guessing here, so tell me if I'm wrong.  You've got the drop-bracket style ifs lift and probably some spacer or coil to lift the rear.  The ifs lift allowed you to fit 33s or 35s with trimming.  You're wondering if you ball joint spacer the front, and get taller rear coils, if you could fit the next tire size presumeably 35-38?

If that's the case, then yes it would probably work.  Here's a link to a 4runner site with the rear setup you're talking about.

http://www4.ncsu.edu/~jmgobien/html/4link.html

The rear coil lift is high enough, that you have to lengthen the linkages to the axle to get it to sit right in the wheel well.

However, I wouldn't recomend the ifs ball joint spacer lift with the tires you'd be wanting to run.  The ifs axles are already prone to failure, but the spacers put the ifs axles near their lower droop limit, worsening the problem.  Unless you plan on just cruising around town in your rig, the larger tires that would be used would certainly result in some sort of cv axle failure off road (likely when you needed them most: big mud hole, gnarly rock obstacle). 

Most folks seem to go to the solid axle by this stage for the added strength, and the lift is easy enough after that, and the rear 4link coils are a nice addition.  If you are set on getting the bigger meats, you might consider just some fender trimming and as small a body lift as possible.

If you're wanting to keep the ifs, there are lots of pre-runner type setups to add the strength for bigger tires, and some lift, but they are often more expensive than the SAS.

good luck,
 8)

robinhood4x4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -180
  • Member since Jun '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 18, 2005, 12:29:35 PM »
Oh, this is for his 4runner, not his buddy's...then, disregard my comment about the FJ80 coils.  The stock fj80 coils do well for lifting a stock 4runner, but will be too short for a 4" front lift. 

I agree with hudlenutz.
Quote from: cruzila
Well, if the ideal of excluding the lesser equipped (stock or otherwise) is accepted... there is no fundamental difference between that and a Sierra CLub ideal of exclusion. If we cannot embrace the 4wheel users as a whole. We are not fighting for access. I cannot be that shortsighted

mudaddict [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #4 on: Apr 18, 2005, 03:23:37 PM »
ya my buddy is looking at the spacres as well but he has an 86 so the coils arent an option for him just me! Thanks for the input guys, ya i want to do an sas but i dont have the cash to do it! the new coils and spacers would only be like 250 and thats about what i would want to spend ona that! i am looking for some room to clear 35's im at 33's right now! well this has helped alot thanks guys.
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road