Author Topic: What happening to this site  (Read 3493 times)

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
What happening to this site
« on: Sep 06, 2022, 05:58:01 PM »
I remember 10 years ago. This place was amazing. All you read about was toyota or 4wd related topics. Now it a sh*t show. To much political crap. Let's make MC forum great again. Let's keep it about toyotas or offroading, take your BS somewhere else
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Slabzilla

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1355
  • Male Posts: 539
  • Member since Dec '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: What happening to this site
« Reply #1 on: Sep 06, 2022, 06:41:11 PM »
I totally agree with you, Sir.  I used to spend more time on here getting good advice or new trail options or sharing some of mine.  When folks don't have decent things to share about our Toyotas and or trail adventures I'm not interested in the cannon fodder.  Thanks for seeing the same problem,  you are The "Metal Master Supreme".     :biggthumpup:   :beer:   :driving:
'85 Xtra-cab, 4.5" Downey Off-Road lift, 12-15 KM2's on American Racing Baja's, Marlin's-4.88's & 4.7's, Downey Off-Road CAI, Marlin rear bumper & sliders

cbeers

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 4425
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 08, 2022, 01:46:47 PM »
yep i see the same thing.  i still visit daily but rarely post anymore.  i haven't updated my build thread in nearly two years  :smack:

i have been updating the rig, and getting out for some fun adventures and meeting more turtles but just don't seem to get to posting updates.

as we've all seen/said before most forums are suffering from lack of traffic and likely due to facebook, instagram and twitter.  I don't do any of them but do have an instagram account to see pics.

i miss the online friendliness and tech share that used to exist here

Dave you are a prime example of what this forum should bring - helpful, friendly, knowledgeable and beyond generous.

:beerchug:

CB

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 08, 2022, 04:38:56 PM »
I would post my build here but the photo upload system is so difficult. I have it on Irate4x4 because its super easy to upload pics from your phone

OVRAROK [OP]

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 08, 2022, 04:43:27 PM »
I would post my build here but the photo upload system is so difficult. I have it on Irate4x4 because its super easy to upload pics from your phone

Have you tried tapatalk. That's the only way I can post pic directly from my phone.( android)
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 09, 2022, 08:23:08 AM »
I haven't, didn't want to deal with another app to post photos when you can do it without any special apps on Irate. Not bashing Marlins forum I have been on here for years and learned a ton. Its just not very user friendly which seems to kill off the cool builds we used to see

rapier46

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 221
  • Male Posts: 249
  • Member since Sep '10
  • Granite Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 09, 2022, 10:37:17 AM »
I agree

Thanks obama. 

a1gemmel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 149
  • Member since Jun '21
  • Amateur shitbox whisperer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 18, 2022, 09:11:28 PM »
I work in cycles - the toyota is all buttoned up for now so my el camino is now in my shop getting bodywork, paint, fiberglass front clip, new harness, engine gone through, rebuilding a 4 speed, regearing, new exhaust, fix the fuel system... it's a bit of a project. So I guess I don't have much to post about until it's the yoter's turn back in for a front 3 link sometime in the late winter. I don't do chit-chat posting, off-topic boards ruin forums in my opinion.

1981 Pickup - 37s, 5.29s, L52, dual cases 4.7 rear, e-locker front, grizzly rear, 22R stroker
1986 4Runner - 35s, 5.29s, auto, front Detroit, rear trutrac, 4" lift

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 786
  • Male Posts: 944
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2022, 02:03:29 PM »
I wish there was more engagement and talk on Toyota stuff as well.  Been around for over 20 years myself.  Loved old school pirate and here.  There was a wealth of knowledge and learning to be had.  I find on this forum anymore there are a couple individuals that completely over power darn near every conversation or thread to the point of folks not wanting to post.  It was funny as I was at a Toyota event talking to a person who had been on here for a long time like myself, We were talking about the toyota forums as that is where we met he made the same comment during a discussion about Marlins board with out being lead into it.  We both had a good chuckle.   
« Last Edit: Sep 20, 2022, 10:58:14 AM by Pat »
Sharing time between Northern Ca and Western Tn..

*FFC*

• Platinum Turtle Award
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 11
  • Female Posts: 8,265
  • Member since May '04
  • ~*Moderator*~
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #9 on: Sep 24, 2022, 07:14:51 AM »
Take me back! We were a fun, active group weren't we? Oh the good ol' days. Growing up sucks :sad2:
"Yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, today is a gift - that's why they call it the present." - RW Emerson -

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 24, 2022, 10:28:03 AM »
Take me back! We were a fun, active group weren't we? Oh the good ol' days. Growing up sucks :sad2:

Still a fun group, just surrounded by issues that aren't. Issues we all need to explore and discuss to tryy to make sense of the insanity. Leaving the bad issues occult allows them to grow and infect. A disease that eventually kills the fun.

Enjoy life! Embrace the horror!  :shocking:
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Oct 13, 2022, 04:11:51 PM »
I still refuse to grow-up but the world around me left me behind. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 13, 2022, 06:39:48 PM »
I still refuse to grow-up but the world around me left me behind. :gap:

You grew up. You just live in denial.
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 15, 2022, 07:32:44 PM »

Yup, between life, and crap, I just barely have time to stay in touch with family and close friends on FB.  I just recently had to bondo some rust on my windshield on my truck, because I have no funds, or means to fix it right.   :rivers: 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 16, 2022, 02:51:50 PM »
Oooh Bondo. I would have suggested fiberglass and epoxy resin for a minimum. Bondo tends to be pourous and can transport moisture to the metal. But that's me.

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 16, 2022, 09:32:53 PM »
The forum used to have a lot more active members and be much more enjoyable, but for me there were two big changes. I don’t spend much time in front of the computer.  Met some great people through the forum, fewer turds, bought a lot of parts and sold a few.  I only come on a handful of times a year anymore and could definitely do without the political bs.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Oct 19, 2022, 09:56:31 AM »
Oooh Bondo. I would have suggested fiberglass and epoxy resin for a minimum. Bondo tends to be pourous and can transport moisture to the metal. But that's me.

Yeah, I didn't want to do what I did.  But with no money, no backup rig, and I thought the rainy season was upon us, I had to do a quick fix, even if it just buys me another 5 years, until I can find a rig I can swap over my running gear into.  I had a second hd gasket go after 30k miles.  So, I got a buddy that had a BUILT 22r motor.  40 over, balanced, crank scraper, TRD stage 3 cam, dual valve springs, titanium keepers, ARP all around, and he had ran it with Garrett turbo and propane, and maybe only had 100 hours on it. I took out the cam, inner valve springs, and just ran a stock top end.  Thing sings down the road, and I can hit 6k easily.  The other motor was a turd from day one.  So, glad I have a much better motor.  And the motor cost me $1500! And his build up of it is somewhere on here, a long time ago.  Plus, the motor came with a spare freshly rebuilt 22R, that came with his crawler he bought back with it for an extra $400.   :shades:

And since my truck was 22RTE originally, it has the R151F.  :biggthumpup: 

But with the way Toyota prices are going, I just might turn it into a crawler, and just buy something other than a Toy for a DD.   :shudder:

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Gnarly4X

• Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,254
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #17 on: Oct 20, 2022, 01:24:36 AM »

And since my truck was 22RTE originally, it has the R151F.  :biggthumpup: 

But with the way Toyota prices are going, I just might turn it into a crawler, and just buy something other than a Toy for a DD.   :shudder:

Cheesemaker.....

Purely in the interest of preserving your, getting rare, legendary iconic 22R-TE, NOT turning it into a crawler (thrasher-basher :thumbdown:) would be a MUCH better idea. :beerchug:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

liveoak

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 155
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Oct 21, 2022, 09:26:13 AM »
Issues we all need to explore and discuss to tryy to make sense of the insanity.

Couldn't disagree more. No need to talk about it here. There are plenty of places to discuss politics other than a small aftermarket Toyota parts company's website forum. 

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Oct 21, 2022, 01:36:20 PM »
Couldn't disagree more. No need to talk about it here. There are plenty of places to discuss politics other than a small aftermarket Toyota parts company's website forum. 

So, an open forum isn't so open?

So many threads NOT assosciated to toyotas here, bunches of them, that need to be censored back to simply talking about Yotas and wheeling. Another reason our country is falling apart, "I don't want to hear it so you can't talk about it.". Narrow minded people.......

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #20 on: Oct 21, 2022, 06:00:05 PM »
So, an open forum isn't so open?

So many threads NOT assosciated to toyotas here, bunches of them, that need to be censored back to simply talking about Yotas and wheeling. Another reason our country is falling apart, "I don't want to hear it so you can't talk about it.". Narrow minded people.......

deucie....

I cannot agree with you MORE!  Very well stated.  :beerchug:

“What happening to this site” is posted in ….  Chit Chat Camp - Grab a folding chair and some marshmallows, this Camp's got it all!  :dunno:

The cancel culture and woke Bravo Sierra is everywhere. :gap:

Why can’t our 1st Amendment just be left alone?  :smack:

The hypocrisy and ignorance are alive and well.  :thumbdown:

The OP posted this subject topic (grammatically incorrect) in the Chat Chat Camp. Why?  :dunno:  ....
To express a concern for reading something that does NOT comport to a thinking, ideology, narrative, or what? To whine about a topic and thread that he obviously reads.  :shake:

The Chit Chat Camp happens to be the number one in the Top 20 Boards… why?  :thumbs:

The Scary Stuff thread is in the Top 20 Liked Topics… why?  :thumbs:

The Scary Stuff thread is in the Top 20 Topics (by Replies) …. Why?  :thumbs:

So, let’s ask BigMike, or whomever in charge of this site, to abort and cancel our 1st Amendment right. :willynilly:

Let’s request to ONLY allow posts to the forum that are defined by WHOM?  WHAT?....  :clap:

Early Toyota 4x4s?.... What year(s)

Pickups or 4Runners or both?

What color(s)?

What engine(s)?

Modified or factory stock?

Tire sizes – 29” to 40”??... or just 35”?

Axles?... Just Toyota axles? Or 1 tons?

Transmissions?  5-speed, 4-speed, automatic – or just the ones built by Marlin?

Crawler t-cases?

Only rock crawlers or mud-machines or off-road competition-rated?

The absurd list goes on and on.

There are PLENTY of variety topics and threads over many years here for any interest.

If you don’t want to participate or read something, then don’t Foxtrot Uncle Charlie Kilo India November Golf click on it!!

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Oct 21, 2022, 07:24:36 PM »
Wow,  talk about over complicating this thread.  This last reply is exactly what I was talking about in my first reply about some folks over powering every thread on this board. Free speech? All for it, chit chat being chit chat? Any subject matter on the board? All for it. Politics in chit chat? All for it.  That all being said some folks just have diarrhea of the vocal cords and it drives folks away in my opinion.. ok carry on.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Oct 21, 2022, 07:37:46 PM »
Pat, ya can't throw a log on the fire expecting it not to burn.

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Oct 21, 2022, 07:58:51 PM »
 😀   Sometimes things just need to be said.  Not the end of the world either way.

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #24 on: Oct 22, 2022, 06:00:04 AM »
Hello Pat,

So now the commentary gets more ironic and ludicrous.

“Over complicating” …. Does that mean it’s too intellectual for some?  Does the commentary need to be regulated and dumbed down to a 6th grade level, so the discussion does not exclude any less educated, low-I.Q members?  And, who gets to be the brain-strain moderator?

How complicated is politics?  How complicated is the fact that America is about to become a Marxist tyranny?

If the topic is too complicated for objective discourse then don’t participate.  There are lots of other threads like “What are you listening to right now” or “The Official Tattoo Thread” or “Where do you work?”

So “over powering”? … is that like there are a few people posting a lot and enjoying a spirited debate?  Or do the comments have too many words in it?  Do we need a poop monitor?

So, “diarrhea of the vocal cords drives folks away”?? Who are the “folks”? It’s obvious that my “vocal cords” are not driving YOU away!

The Average registrations per day is 3.93, so some folks want to be members.

There are 75,061 Topics to choose from and there is room on this forum for everyone.

If someone wants an intellectual spirited debate or meaningful discourse on the subject of politics in a 4x4 forum then let’s have one.

You obviously don’t take the internet too seriously and your participation on this site appears to be very limited.  You’ve been a member since June of 2002 and only posted 944 times.

Going back 10 years ago or the “good old days” is not going to happen.  Count me in if Elon makes a time machine and the ride tickets are less than $100!!

Changing this site’s forum is possible. We are still a free-market capitalism-based society with Civil Rights, so if changing this site to a highly regulated, highly censored, highly restricted defined topics for a handful of members, the Marlin Crawler family can do that.

However, I would highly recommend that they take a survey and ask the 150 to 250 “Guests” that actively participate daily.

Removing politics from any 4x4 topic may be a challenge. Did the unfortunate cancellation, due to large fires, of the MC event this year happen because of politics?  Who in California is not managing the forests?

Does the hard push to close land and access to 4 wheeling areas involve politics?

Does the source of Chinese junk auto parts involve politics?

Politics have been in off-roading and 4 wheeling way before I started off-roading in 1977.  I don’t think politics is going away any time soon no matter how much we want it to.

http://www.off-road.com/jeep/tech/the-politicizing-of-offroading-16351.html

Politics should be in every 4x4 forum if we are to keep the hobby alive.

“I remember 10 years ago. This place was amazing. All you read about was toyota or 4wd related topics. Now it a sh*t show. To much political crap. Let's make MC forum great again. Let's keep it about toyotas or offroading, take your BS somewhere else”

THAT is the perfect way to start a “sh*t show!!

Yes.. "Sometimes things just need to be said.  Not the end of the world either way."

That's just my worthless political opinion. :gap:

« Last Edit: Oct 22, 2022, 06:21:27 AM by Gnarly4X »

Pat

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Oroville, Ca
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Oct 22, 2022, 08:01:21 AM »
Major Award,  you earned it.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Oct 22, 2022, 08:53:30 AM »
😀   Sometimes things just need to be said.  Not the end of the world either way.

Your cartoon doesn't come up on the quote, but I say, just ignore them.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Oct 22, 2022, 09:02:06 AM »
Major Award,  you earned it.

At the rank of couch potato with soar cream and chives.

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Oct 23, 2022, 07:05:10 AM »
Cheesemaker.....

Purely in the interest of preserving your, getting rare, legendary iconic 22R-TE, NOT turning it into a crawler (thrasher-basher :thumbdown:) would be a MUCH better idea. :beerchug:

The 22RTE was a turd, and in stock form was expensive to rebuild, especially when the turbo was shot.  And it was SOOOOOO much cheaper to just get a rebuilt 22R, and grab a few items to run it.  And when it came time to sell the turbo motor, nobody wanted it!!  Only the manifold.  The only way to get a 22RT/E to run really good, is to BUILD the bottom end, and fab in a Garrett turbo, and Megasquirt fuel management, and even then your still trying to get high numbers out of our beloved tractor motor.  And at that time the fuel management system was $2k, and I did not have that. 

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #29 on: Oct 23, 2022, 08:37:28 AM »
 :usa:
The 22RTE was a turd, and in stock form was expensive to rebuild, especially when the turbo was shot.  And it was SOOOOOO much cheaper to just get a rebuilt 22R, and grab a few items to run it.  And when it came time to sell the turbo motor, nobody wanted it!!  Only the manifold.  The only way to get a 22RT/E to run really good, is to BUILD the bottom end, and fab in a Garrett turbo, and Megasquirt fuel management, and even then your still trying to get high numbers out of our beloved tractor motor.  And at that time the fuel management system was $2k, and I did not have that. 

Hey C…

Yeah that makes sense.

I think the 1988 turbo’d 22 was probably a marketing reaction for more power.

And… yes you can build 22R with gobs more power than stock 22RE-T WAY cheaper!

When it comes to the preservation and restoration of these iconic and legendary years of the early Toyota 4x4s it’s a juggling balance between COST, time, and availability of parts.

It also involves a list of desirable options.  At the car shows I see a perfectly restored 1957 Chevy.

From the outside it looks “factory”, but pop the hood and I’m looking down at 400 HP LS engine!

It is still an iconic vehicle…. Just with some added really cool enhancement.

When I started my 1986 22RE rebuild I had $3,000 saved up with a little emergency backup.

Now I’m way over $5,000 out of pocket. :yikes:

Gnarls.