Author Topic: Hi I am wondering how to make a exoskeleton for my Jeep renegade?  (Read 775 times)

37_ JeepRenegade

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hi I am wanting to make my Jeep renegade more off-road. What size tube do I use? What type of metal do I buy? Where do I buy it? I have resources for a welder and such tools. What type of metal or size do I use for the welder? A family member is going to do most of the welding and hopefully I get to do some but I have to buy everything. How do I make a exoskeleton?

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
Most use 1.5" .125" tube, DOM or HREW for exo cages.

You will need a way to bend the tube, and a tube notcher to cut the tube ends so that they fit correctly for strong welds.

After the above and basic metal working tools, you will need to have a way to lay out the tube and measure the angles needed for the bends during mockup, steel is expensive, especially now, so you don't want to bend/cut the tube until you have a good idea of what your need.  1/4" steel bar works well for figuring out the layout, however, with this being your first attempt, I would suggest using 1" pvc and fittings.  The 1" pvc has a 1-1/4" outside dimension, so it will give you an idea of what the tube will look like, as well as giving you an idea of where it needs to go to clear the doors,  gas filler, hood, etc., the pvc is also easily bent with a propane torch.

Heave you searched for a DYI kit, likely cost you about the same when done, depending on how much tube you scrap and tools you buy.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,245
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Hi I am wanting to make my Jeep renegade more off-road. What size tube do I use? What type of metal do I buy? Where do I buy it? I have resources for a welder and such tools. What type of metal or size do I use for the welder? A family member is going to do most of the welding and hopefully I get to do some but I have to buy everything. How do I make a exoskeleton?

Don't do it... they're ugly!!  :gap:

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

RUGER

• Online The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 17141
  • Male Posts: 1,019
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
i used sch 40 pipe fer my exo. if i remember right its 1.5" pipe but keep in mind pipe and tube are measured differently.
another factor is weight. the exo adds several hundred pounds.
as snowtoy said the price of steel is getting expensive.

do you want to make it "look more oddroad" or use it. what type of terrain do you drive in.
i believe the renegades have a unibody like the cherokee. my sister in law has a older stock jeep compass and it does fairly good as a weekend warrior.

RUGER :usa:
:usa: GOD BLESS AMERICA :usa:

"the hag" 83 toy with 5" all-pro lift, marlin crawler dual case #1011 and marlin hy-steer, 35s, 5.29's, exo cage, yada, yada, yada. she's back in black.

97 F250
84 Grand Waggy
77 Scout II SS
96 Explorer Sport
20 F150

USN SEABEE 2008-2012 :usa:
run with THE PACK 4wdc of los osos
NRA life member

CB.TypeG

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 270
  • Male Posts: 65
  • Member since Jun '21
    • View Profile
    • My '83 Build
    • Buy me a beer
I'd say stray away from a full exo, in some states it's not legal to run one anyway. And there are hundreds of options how to go about armor especially for a jeep like yours.
Good luck!