Author Topic: 22r block decking  (Read 1009 times)

me

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '21
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
22r block decking
« on: May 13, 2021, 09:41:52 AM »
tearing down a 22r block,deck height is 11.250.on block,behind timing cover is stamped .040,all adds up.why would someone shave that much off?timing chain was loose and guides broken.it has std bore rock?pistons in it.is this thing junk?

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 22r block decking
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2021, 09:50:35 PM »
Timing chain tension with a .040" deck would still be fine. Taking that much off the block is fine, the factory gasket is quite thick. Aftermarket pistons, especially off the shelf pistons, are typically .010" shorter than factory to make room for cleaning up the deck. So, at a guess, the builder was looking for a higher comp ratio, closer to 9.5-9.7 to 1. if they decked the head as well the ratio could be anywhere north of that.. Now, for future reference, your deck height is measured from the center of the crank bearing boss to the top of the deck. Measuring from the oil pan landing can be misleading without knowing if the bottom of the block has been "cleaned up", or even if the factory machined it long or short ( Yup, even Toyota has variance on their machining).

If the block IS decked .040" your timing would be retarded 2 or 3 degrees. That much timing won't change much, maybe move your powerband 100-250rpm higher. If that is a concern offset sprocket pin or adjustable sprocket would be on your parts list.

If you're concerned about the piston popping up above the deck the factory head gasket, as well as aftermarket pieces, are quite thick. As long as the piston and valves don't try to occupy the same space at the same time and the piston doesn't come within .030" of the head surface things should be fine. Then all you have to worry about is comp ratio.

It has been a while since I've played with the early 20/22R. Just about anything you can imagine I've done to that engine.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2021, 10:11:39 PM by sirdeuce »
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1293
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
Re: 22r block decking
« Reply #2 on: Jul 02, 2021, 10:14:23 AM »
One thing I forgot to mention, and have failed to do myself. When decking the block have the timing cover in place. If the timing cover isn't cut the same as the block it will have a step that will lift the head on the #1 cylinder end setting the gasket up for failure and put stresses on the head that it wasn't designed for. I find most machine shops don't like the idea as they say the cutter will chatter when cutting two different hardness metals together, but that step can set your engine up for failure. I've had the shops cut the block with the timing cover on countless times without issue. Check for a step any time you replace the timing cover as well.
First time I came across this issue I found a step of .010" and took the timing cover down with a file (I don't recommend this as I had a slope that was .002" lower at the front of the engine. Didn.t want to touch the block surface.) .
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.