Author Topic: Head gasket set vs full engine gasket set  (Read 883 times)

Groundpounder17

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Head gasket set vs full engine gasket set
« on: Feb 17, 2021, 12:13:51 PM »
For those that read my other thread regarding my '82 pickup you know that I have some issues going on with what is likely a blown head gasket.  It looks like I will have some warmer weather coming up in the next week so I plan to go ahead and figure out what is going on with my engine.  I will do a compression test, leak down test, adjust my valves, and if needed pressure test my cooling system.  I am fully anticipating needing to replace my head gasket at a minimum.  So while I am at it I want to have my headwork completed and new valve seals.  I was looking at the 22REPerformance website and see that he has a head gasket set and also a full engine rebuild gasket set.  The price difference is only $50, but $50 here and $50 there has been adding up in a hurry.  Should I go ahead and get the full rebuild gasket set? It comes with valve seals and many other parts that I might end up needing? Surprisingly the head gasket kit doesn't come with new valve seals.   I'm going to go ahead and do a full tune up while I am in there.  Somewhere along the way someone replaced the rotor, cap, and plug wires with cheap aftermarket so I will be replacing those as well.   I also have noticed some leaking around my mechanical fuel pump which also appears to be cheap aftermarket.  Should I go ahead and replace that as well? I haven't had any fuel problems and I did notice that both gasket sets will come with a new fuel pump gasket.  I thought it would also be a good time to check the timing chain.  If I do that I will need the full gasket set. 

So, my question is: Should I just go ahead and get the full engine rebuild gasket set or just the head gasket set?  Or should I just hold off until I get the compression test and leak down test completed?  As much as I have added to the cart I might as well plan on doing a rebuild

« Last Edit: Feb 17, 2021, 12:22:40 PM by Groundpounder17 »
‘82 Toyota RN38, mostly stock

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: Head gasket set vs full engine gasket set
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2021, 02:41:16 PM »
I blew a head gasket on my 84 not long after getting it. I did the gasket, water pump and T chain, using all toyota gasket. I should have done the oil pump and front main seal while I was at it, I ended up having do that some years later. The truck has been my daily driver for 11-12? Years.

The aftermarket 22r fuel pumps are not very reliable. I've had a couple leak oil from the hole on the bottom and one that started leaking fuel. I Finally bought a toyota pump.

I wouldnt buy anything until you know for sure that you have a bad head gasket.

Here is another way to test for a leak between the cylinders and the cooling system https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

Groundpounder17 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 99
  • Member since Oct '20
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2021, 05:11:10 PM »
I blew a head gasket on my 84 not long after getting it. I did the gasket, water pump and T chain, using all toyota gasket. I should have done the oil pump and front main seal while I was at it, I ended up having do that some years later. The truck has been my daily driver for 11-12? Years.

The aftermarket 22r fuel pumps are not very reliable. I've had a couple leak oil from the hole on the bottom and one that started leaking fuel. I Finally bought a toyota pump.

I wouldnt buy anything until you know for sure that you have a bad head gasket.

Here is another way to test for a leak between the cylinders and the cooling system https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/BK_7001006

Thanks for the reply!  I just checked out your build thread and am loving what you did to your truck. Great job. How do you like the 22RE compared to your 22r?  Do you think if you rebuilt the 22r you would be just as pleased as you are have been with your 22re swap?
‘82 Toyota RN38, mostly stock

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2021, 07:16:32 PM »
Thanks for the reply!  I just checked out your build thread and am loving what you did to your truck. Great job. How do you like the 22RE compared to your 22r?  Do you think if you rebuilt the 22r you would be just as pleased as you are have been with your 22re swap?

I prefer EFI over carb.

The EFI in the 1980 was a big improvement offroad.  I wheel alot of mountain trails with very steep /long hill climbs. The carbs just dont like to stay running on those big hills.

Power wise, stock vs stock, the RE has a bit more power but not enough to justify the swap for that reason alone.

The 84 (22R) is the daily driver and I dont take it up those big offroad hill climbs, so the carb has been fine.

The 22R and RE are both under powered on the road. I live in the foothills and you cant leave the house without hills. Where I like to wheel requires going over one of two mountain passes.

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0