Author Topic: D4DRunner  (Read 1454 times)

RB

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 54
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
D4DRunner
« on: Jun 03, 2019, 08:07:58 PM »
Seems to be more action on this site then others I've been on recently, so I figured I'll share some of my project and hopefully get some suggestions and guidance.
Nut Shell... 88 4Runner 3VZ-E SAS, swapping in an '06 1KD-FTV engine, R151F trans with dual boxes.

Some stuff I'm copying from previous posts

today we clean the/organize the operating room before surgery. Then I'll remove the trans and get after the 5th gear OD mod since I'll need to order the gears. After the trans removal I'll remove the wheels and drop the whole truck on 6x6s and rmove the coil overs. This will be easier to work on....more to follow

this happened

Did some cleaning....

Then did more cleaning...

then I decided to torture myself with just seeing where this lump needs to sit....

took some measurements (going to install an electric fan)...

The engine is not sitting in its permanent location, as I have discovered a few issues:

• Oil pan hits the front diff at full stuff, i knew I would need to modify the oil pan and sump
  • Engine mounts seem to be spaced wider and at a slightly different angle on the frame when compared to the mount angle and spacing on the engine
  • Fab up new mounts to shove engine back about 1", and up another 1.5'.....sooooo.....
  • While I'm at it may as well do a drive-train lift, so time to hack into the horse collar
  • Vacuum pump in the front of the engine will be very close to the fan shroud, may have to clearance a shroud

I'm going to fab up some motor mount perches this weekend and hopefully get a solid location for the lump to live. I'll then turn to the oil pan modification.

Made some motor mounts...1.5" drive-train lift, and back .75". Next will be modifying the horse collar.

88' 4Runner
Build Thread

RB [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
Re: D4DRunner
« Reply #1 on: Jun 04, 2019, 06:03:24 AM »
Did the following before the above post...

ECU was sent to Diesel Toys in TX for an ECU tune. Deleted the EGR and Immobilizer as well as added their mild tune to give more power and more MPG. After running the engine using TechStream I determined injector two would be failing soon, so sent the Injectors off to Baileys Diesel Group in Australia. After speaking with Simon, he told me that the main bearings are not a concern (as I was going to replace the mains) in these engines, but to switch out the hard fuel lines due to the mileage. So, new injectors (Stage 1 15% more flow), valve cover gaskets kit, fuel hard lines and suction control valve for the injection pump.

Valve cover off, the black gets on everything, its worse then anti-seize.

Injectors getting sent out to Baileys Diesel Group, going Stage 1 which has a 15% higher flow for a future mild tune.

Intake manifold nastiness. There is a butterfly valve on the circular cylinders, with about an 1/8" of soot and oil tacked onto it.

To deal with the black death...
Made a parts washer out of some bits we had laying around UnHoly Motorsports.

First pass with the parts cleaner, that is soot in the sink, about an 1/8" thick. This is all due to the EGR, cancer to diesel engines.

Engine back on engine stand for cleaning and maintenance. Will be rotating the engine to clean the intake ports on the head.

More to follow

Did some cleaning on the head intake runners and welding the EGT bung into the exhaust manifold.

Welding on the cast manifold for the EGT bung

88' 4Runner
Build Thread

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 6720
  • Male Posts: 2,421
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #2 on: Jun 04, 2019, 07:41:46 AM »
Why did you weld a bung rather than tap the manifold?
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

RB [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jun 04, 2019, 08:21:23 AM »

Well, because I bought a bung not realizing the manifold is very thick and also because I e never welded on cast. So in short, no real reason.
88' 4Runner
Build Thread

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 960
  • Male Posts: 3,433
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jun 04, 2019, 11:07:57 AM »
Looking good!

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1998
  • Male Posts: 2,252
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Jun 04, 2019, 02:17:26 PM »

Every truck needs a bunghole
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

RB [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jun 04, 2019, 05:33:16 PM »
heading to the shop tonight to tack the mounts in place and check for more problems.
I need to get a rear sump from a Prado, its an aluminum housing with a steel lower pan, and I'm having a hell of a time finding someone to ship to me. I need a used one so the sump pick up is included, would rather not buy new.

Thanks
88' 4Runner
Build Thread

RB [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jun 09, 2019, 07:36:03 PM »
ordered Prado sump from the UK.
Motor mounts are tacked in but there seems to be an issue...
The engine is sitting in the frame a bit diagonally and I'm not exactly sure why. Need to take more measurements and think...

In other news the Dyna 5th gear swap  on the R151 seems to be working out.
88' 4Runner
Build Thread

RB [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jun 16, 2019, 06:49:49 AM »
Motor mounts are now tacked, I discovered that the 1KD factory mounts are a different angle then the frame side mounts on the 88. So, out came the grinder to clearance the mount to give us proper angle so the motor mounts are now in their neutral position, before you could tell they were tweaked to one side. Once I mount the transmission to see where i need to fab up a new trans mount I'll burn the motor mounts in completely, but after taking a bunch of measurements I'm pretty confident the mounts are in the correct spot.
Prado oil pan, well this pan may actually be worse as far as clearance to the front 3rd. The bottom sump comes out on the passenger side so far that the upper 3rd- link on the top of the diff that the oil pan fouls, so another hurdle i thought I had cleared.....

In the meantime, lets start labeling the wire harness, spent a bit making labels and cheat sheets.
88' 4Runner
Build Thread

- Sales Employee -

T-Revv

• Hawk
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 443
  • Male Posts: 235
  • Member since Apr '17
  • Crawlin at work, Crawlin on the trails. best life.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jun 18, 2019, 03:39:22 PM »
:popcorn: I like where this is going.  very nice build thus far, extrememly interested to see how it evolves.
"I dunno I just woke up from a lil nap, it's a lil dark but you guys silly? I'm still gonna send it."

RB [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jun 25, 2019, 11:24:57 AM »
^^^ thanks, I haven't got much to report at the moment....
1. All engine bay connectors are labeled, working on laying out the wiring. body side wiring still needs attention
2. Engine sits too high int he engine bay, so will be cutting the motor mounts to drop the engine 3/4".
3. Assembling the transmission for a dry fit after engine is dropped.

I'll have more pics and updates soon
88' 4Runner
Build Thread

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 956
  • Male Posts: 1,595
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #11 on: Jun 29, 2019, 06:10:13 AM »
How'd I miss your build thread? Nice work RB!
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-te turbo diesel with custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

LittleSteve

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: -10
  • Male Posts: 917
  • Member since Jan '14
  • I dont even have a Toyota
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #12 on: Oct 14, 2019, 01:27:23 PM »
I have a r series to kd bellhousing.
did you drive the KD before you bought it? have you driven a KD?
LittleSteve: Holding up traffic and giving dubious advice since 2014.

1/5th of Perfect Fit. The awkward foreigner no one understands.

Bydd eich meddylfryd cul yn eich cicio i fyny'r asyn

Mae'r dyfodol yn drydan

Atlcr

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 135
  • Member since Oct '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 14, 2019, 02:22:08 PM »
Great build keep the pictures coming.

rapier46

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 142
  • Member since Sep '10
  • Granite Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Oct 14, 2019, 02:49:50 PM »
You have my attention.

RB [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '10
  • Modify Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Oct 14, 2019, 03:41:34 PM »
Hey guys, sorry for the absence, didnít realize anyone was paying attention haha.
I have stalled the 4runner build for a few months while I take a 07 Tacoma basket case and turn it into my daily since my trusty 92 pickup is rusting out from under me.
Thanks
RB
88' 4Runner
Build Thread