Author Topic: Welding the rear!  (Read 3155 times)

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Welding the rear!
« on: Apr 08, 2005, 05:27:14 PM »
I would like to get my rear locked up and want to know if it is woth it to weld it, and if so some tips on how too.  Can I do it by just removing the third member or do i have to remove the carrier and gears as well.  :dunno:  If any body has pictures of it welded or just an assembled third already taken out please post :yupyup: .  i want and will weld them very soon if i am convinced it will hold up. 

If I do I will post pics for each step:     :flamer:   :crossed:

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Welding the rear!
« Reply #1 on: Apr 08, 2005, 05:48:19 PM »
If you plan to drive at all on the street dont do it
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

whiteman [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Apr 08, 2005, 05:50:32 PM »
Why?

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 08, 2005, 06:15:28 PM »
I weld the spiders together and also to the carrier..with a welded diff you get tire scrub,,but with a little extra pressure its good..I have run detroits and wlded rears and think its all the same..i could never tell the diff between the dtroit and the welded diff on the road..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 08, 2005, 07:21:39 PM »
During cornering, the outside tire has to travel farther than the inside tire to end up at the same place when you straighten it out.  The only way to do this is to have the inside wheel turn slower than the outside wheel.  That is the point of an open differential.  When you weld the spiders to the case or to themselves, everything turns as one unit at the same speed.  So both wheels turn at the same speed.  Now when you turn the inside wheel has to break traction because it is spinning too fast.  You will get chirping and bucking from this on pavement.  On the flip side, it greatly increases offroad ability.  So its a toss up between how much street driving versus how much off roading you do.

oddball

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1143
  • Male Posts: 952
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Weirdo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #5 on: Apr 08, 2005, 07:33:38 PM »
During cornering, the outside tire has to travel farther than the inside tire to end up at the same place when you straighten it out. The only way to do this is to have the inside wheel turn slower than the outside wheel. That is the point of an open differential. When you weld the spiders to the case or to themselves, everything turns as one unit at the same speed. So both wheels turn at the same speed. Now when you turn the inside wheel has to break traction because it is spinning too fast. You will get chirping and bucking from this on pavement. On the flip side, it greatly increases offroad ability. So its a toss up between how much street driving versus how much off roading you do.
wot he said
2008 Tacoma regular cab, 4.88s, ARBs, crawl box, manual shift FJ case

lowgeared

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 556
  • Member since Oct '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 08, 2005, 08:16:14 PM »
Listen up kids....this is from the proud owner of a full spooled rear, a welded rear, a detroit, and an aussie locker.  It all adds up to the same.  Anyone that is scared of welding the rear is a wuss.  I thought I would save a little tread and try a aussie locker.  Guess what?  It's wearing out the tires just like all of my other rigs.
Friends help you move.  Real friends help you move bodies.

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 08, 2005, 10:12:43 PM »
I am goingto be replacing my detriot with a welded carrier.  My detriot is worn out and like to jerk the truck a lot.  i will be putting it in the front.  I sould have just welded the rear in the first place.  You sould deffianatly remove the ring gear and the bearings.  the bearings could fry and the ring gear could get slag balls sticking to it which will not be good.

whiteman [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:46:50 AM »
Ok fine!!! :mad: ......  I'll do it  :yesnod: .  I will try and do it on tuesday.  Because I am on spring break this week and i am going riding sat--->mon  :rockingout:

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #9 on: Apr 09, 2005, 03:27:36 PM »
If you plan to drive at all on the street dont do it

Nahhh, I drive my welded rear all over...I like it better than open on the street...very predictable!
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0

86yota

• Marlin Crawler
  • I used to Crawl. I still do, but I used to, too.
« Reply #10 on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:29:39 PM »
The only advice I have is; if you weld the side gears to the case with multiple passes let it cool several times during the process.  I cracked the first one I did (welding to the case)

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 09, 2005, 08:45:44 PM »
It wouldn't be a bad idea to put it on a lathe and true the ring gear flange so your gears mesh rite. The housing warps when you weld on it, especially if you do a real good job. I may have one that's already done if you are intrested. PM me and I will look for it. It is a 4 cyl right?
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

Makohon

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 09, 2005, 09:46:26 PM »
u can weld it in the carrier...... just spray anti spatter stuff allover the thing and tape off what you dont want to get spatter allover it..... at the end of that i took a good half hour cleaning it.... scraping any spatter off and blew it out with a compresser... just dont get it too hot.... it took me about 2 hours or so to weld it because i would let it cool down.... but it aint that bad on road, i just try and not make sharp turns as often, say like in a parking lot i dont crank the wheel all the way and turn 180*... u get what im sayin... i dont know how much of a difference it will make but thats how i drive now!! :wave:  :beerchug:
91 std cab, flatbed, 35 mtr's, aussie, 5.29's, 4.7's, twin sticks