Author Topic: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!  (Read 36409 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5143
  • Male Posts: 4,210
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!
« Reply #30 on: Jun 07, 2017, 02:25:53 PM »
Well, the answer is technically yes and no.....

Humans have trichromatic vision. In our eyes we have 3 light sensitive cones. Dogs have dichromatic vision, they only have 2 cones.  We have rods, for low light vision.  Dogs have many many more rods than humans.

Dog’s vision cannot sense the light spectrum that humans can see.  We can see a range of frequencies above infrared and below ultraviolet. 

Dog’s vision is deficient in red and green.  However, because they have way more rods than humans they have enhanced vision at very low light levels.  Their brain and eyes are tuned to motion and can detect very small changes in movement within their vision. If you were 100 yards away, walking down the sidewalk at night toward your dog sitting on your porch looking at you, they could recognize you immediately by your silhouette and your body movements.

Research scientists have determined that some breeds are near-sighted (e.g. toy poodle) and other breeds are far-sighted (e.g. Border Collie).

I have attached two simple color charts I created several years ago during my research.  It may not be exactly the color hues that dogs see, but it is probably very close.

I showed this to several Drs. at my vet clinic and I was surprised that had never seen such a comparison.  The topic of veterinary care is another important topic.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 07, 2017, 02:41:16 PM by Gnarly4X »
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #31 on: Jun 07, 2017, 02:45:47 PM »
A Red Delicious apple would something like this to a dog...

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #32 on: Jun 07, 2017, 03:00:14 PM »
Here's what a Granny Smith apple looks like to a dog.

Gnarls.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 07, 2017, 04:48:07 PM »
Why does he have to stay overnight at the vet?

Gnarls.

His surgery was first thing in the morning and they wanted to keep him tonight. Ok will me.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #34 on: Jun 21, 2017, 07:21:46 PM »
Summer time here in AZ is a hard time for me.  Not because it’s hot for me, but because it is dangerous for the animals.  :thumbdown:

I go temporarily insane when I see an ignorant person walking their dog in the middle of the day on the sidewalk or pavement when we have the 110+ degree days here.  :maddest:

This morning at 3:15am the outside temperature was 90d F.

In 110+ degree ambient air temp the surface temperature of pavement can reach 170d F!!.  Some very ignorant pet owners think that a dog’s paws and pads are leather like.  Their pads are very sensitive and will burn badly in surface temperatures above 120d F.

Third degree burns will occur in 10 seconds on a sidewalk or pavement that is 130d F.  Deep and extremely painful burns can occur and will likely cause permanent tissue damage to their pads in 1 second at 160 degrees.

Dogs, by their naturally inherited ancient Wolf DNA, will instinctively suppress showing pain or injury.  In the wild, animals that sound or show weakness or injury will become prey to their predators.  :sad2:

So, our domestic pet dog may walk across the hot pavement and not necessarily try to get off of it or make a sound of pain, but their pads may suffer 3rd degree burns. :shocking:

Gnarls. :tantrum:

mudmaster

• Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3678
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #35 on: Jun 22, 2017, 07:00:06 AM »
People are stupid!
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #36 on: Jun 23, 2017, 04:58:53 AM »
People are stupid!

As an eccentric dog owner, and having spent the last 8 ½ years intently researching and studying every aspect man’s best friend, I am astounded and sometimes shocked at the level ignorance by many pet owners.  Naturally, as a pet owner you have many opportunities to have conversations about your pet dog or dogs.  Sadly, discovering that too many dog owners, and often in the general public’s misconceptions, I do what I can to educate people about what I have learned, and promote the love and proper treatment for dogs when I have the opportunity.

Despite the fact that there is excellent information in books, online classes, and highly informative websites available, it is unfortunate that there is a level of misinformation and bravo sierra that is commonly being perpetuated on the Internet by food producers, supplement and health care suppliers, pet stores, dog groomers, veterinary practitioners, scientific researchers, and self-proclaimed dog training experts.

It is interesting, but not unusual, to find controversy and debate among the experts.  For example dog training.  Some of the most well-known dog trainers and their methods are often highly disputed and sometimes find themselves facing law suits.

A dog’s diet is too often misunderstood and is controversial.  Should you feed your dog dairy products?  How about pork?  Or raw meat?

Toys?…. Is a tennis ball a good toy for a dog?  How about cow hide chews?

What does your dog groomer tell you about nail trimming your dog? Or expressing your dog's anal glands?

What does your veterinary doctor tell you about vaccines and flee and tick drugs?

Are the popular pet stores a safe place to take your dog?  Is your local dog park safe for your new puppy?

Every dog owner may have a different experience, level of understanding, knowledge, and feelings about their dog, but there are many facts that are well established about man’s best friend.

What’s my point?  As a dog owner take time to educate yourself about the incredible animal that is a family member and whose quality of life, health, and happiness totally depends on your dedicated proper care, protection, and love.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Jun 23, 2017, 05:09:59 AM by Gnarly4X »

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 23, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
My pet ownerships ends at expressing anal glands...
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #38 on: Jun 23, 2017, 01:44:43 PM »
My pet ownerships ends at expressing anal glands...

LOL.... that's funny... I don't care who ya are!

Gnarls.

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,582
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 30, 2017, 12:14:54 AM »
No pics posted in a while, so to see if my photobucket account still works, here is my 9yr old female Cheyenne.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #40 on: Jun 30, 2017, 03:28:33 AM »
No pics posted in a while, so to see if my photobucket account still works, here is my 9yr old female Cheyenne.

WOW!! She is absolutely beautiful!!  I really like the "wolf-like" breeds.

Gnarls.

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Aug 27, 2017, 10:26:08 AM »
Here's a current picture of Rufus the BIG Rottweiler that showed up on Facebook yesterday from his new owners.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #42 on: Sep 24, 2017, 08:20:42 AM »
One of the hazards and dangers in living in the middle of the desert are some of the critters.  Out walking my two dogs this morning, I was startled by a large Diamondback rattlesnake. The dogs were sniffing around about 12” away from it.  I didn’t see it immediately.  Thank God it was dead.  Not sure what killed it, but it had not been died very long. This is right in our subdivision. It was just next to the sidewalk 2 doors down from my house.  It’s about 3 feet long, you can see the rattles.

If one of my little dogs (6 and 8 lbs) got bit I don’t know what their chances would be at surviving the bite.  An adult rattlesnake only injects venom about 50% of the time.  They have discretion.  The baby rattlers will unload all their venom and don’t have control yet, so that’s why they can be more dangerous than an adult.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Sep 24, 2017, 08:35:35 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #43 on: Apr 23, 2018, 04:08:21 AM »
"God will prepare everything for our perfect happiness in heaven, and if it takes my dog being there, I believe he'll be there."

~  Billy Graham

Being a passionate and eccentric dog lover, I cringe and my heart hurts when I read about or hear bad things happening to a dog, beloved pet, or abandoned stray.

I am compelled to educate people about man’s best friend whenever I have an opportunity.

Many of the health issues with a pet dog are attributed to the ignorance of dog owner… and there is way too much ignorance.  Much of it is perpetuated by misinformation and advertising. Much of it is just simply the owner not being educated, compassionate, responsible and properly caring for a life that totally depends on the owner for health, happiness and survival.

A dog has the same emotional intelligence and cognition as a 2-1/2 year old human child… think about that.

Pet groomers are one of the most dangerous exposures to a dog.  They will do things to a dog during grooming that is totally ignorant of the facts regarding a dog’s physiology.  For example, proper bathing and drying a dog is critically important.  A dog can be drowned in a matter of minutes if water is squirted into the nose and lungs.  If a hot a dryer temperature is used, a dog will over heat and can die in a matter of minutes.

PetsMart was recently, again, in the news for killing two dogs by their groomers. Petsmart is one the most dangerous place you can take a dog for long list of reasons.  The Petsmart here recently exposed several dogs to the Parvo virus.

Back to groomers and their ignorance…. Many will tell you all kinds of things about what they think they know.  Most have no official certification, no formal training.  Most States do not require any kind of grooming license.

It’s common for an ignorant groomer to do anal gland expressions (externally pressing with their fingers on the two anal glands to squeeze out the anal fluid from two tiny sacs).  It's not uncommon for them to rupture the sac and now cause a major issue with infection and extreme pain to the dog.  Unless there is a problem with a dog’s anal glands, LEAVE THEM ALONE!  If there is problem, the dog will tell by scooching his butt, biting and licking at his hind end, or you can feel bumps on his hind end near and just below his anus about at about 4 and 8 o’clock.  If a dog has an overly filled gland, TAKE THEM TO A VET AND HAVE THEM DO AN INTERNAL CHECK AND EXPRESSION.

The other thing that ignorant groomers will do is literally pull the hair out of inside of dog’s ears.  Unless the breed is known for ear infections and need diligent care (some floppy eared dogs), or the dog develops an ear problem.  LEAVE THE HAIR INSIDE THE EARS ALONE!

Ignorant groomers will tell you that anal express and pulling the hair out of the inside of dog’s ear is part of the normal grooming… BRAVO SIERRA!

Now, not all groomers are ignorant.  My groomer of 17 years was a Vet Tech before starting her dog grooming business. She now has returned to school to become a Veterinarian.

Food, diet, and veterinary procedures are other topics that should be thoroughly understood by a pet owner… and unfortunately, lots of misinformation and ignorance can be found.

I have very strong and emphatic opinions based upon the past 10 years of owning, studying and researching dogs.

If, by sharing my opinion and knowledge, I can save one, just one, dog from torture, pain, or unnecessary termination of its life, or possibly saved by adoption for a better rest of its life, it will be worth it to me.

Gnarls.

« Last Edit: Apr 24, 2018, 03:44:47 AM by Gnarly4X »

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #44 on: Apr 26, 2018, 07:17:40 AM »

That dog is absolutely gorgeous.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #45 on: Apr 26, 2018, 07:23:22 AM »
Here is my 6 year old son with my 6 year old american bulldog.

And here is same dog Trailer, with his new buddy Riley. Got him from the parking lot at Oreilly auto parts where he had been living for 2 weeks.

83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #46 on: Apr 28, 2018, 06:36:28 AM »

...And here is same dog Trailer, with his new buddy Riley. Got him from the parking lot at Oreilly auto parts where he had   been living for 2 weeks.

Man... I really respect you for saving Riley!!  He knows that you saved him.   :beerchug:

Gnarls.  :clap:

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #47 on: Apr 29, 2018, 10:39:30 AM »
He is a great little dog. Hes hyper as all get out but hes a pup he will eventually grow out of it and act more like the old time and lay around.
06 tacoma street truck

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #48 on: Aug 29, 2018, 01:18:09 PM »
Dogs….

It’s amazing how many misconceptions there are and misinformation that is promoted and passed around.

Here’s something that all dog or cat owners should be aware of.

https://criticalcaredvm.com/capnocytophaga-pet-kiss-death/

I’m sure there are lots of dog owner’s who believe that a dog’s lick is healthy for healing a wound or a skin injury in a human. 

Although the transmission of contagions from a dog to a human (zoonotic) is not very common, we need to be aware of the ones that might be a serious health issue.

Please take a few minutes to read this all the way, it’s very informative.  Please forward this to anyone you know that should be aware of this bacteria and potential serious health hazard.

Gnarls.

T-1000

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 13
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:32:53 AM »
Dogs arent actually colorblind...they're bichromatic, like most mammals, instead of trimchromstic like humans. They just have one less type of color receptor.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #50 on: Feb 23, 2019, 11:18:25 AM »
Yes.  Dogs are *partially* color blind.  Here's a color chart for a comparison to what human vision is compared to what a dog's vision is.  Dogs have more rods than humans and can see much better at low light conditions, like at night.  Their brains and eyes are also "tuned" to detection motion.

So... green grass looks gray to a dog.  A red ball looks brown.

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Feb 23, 2019, 04:26:41 PM by Gnarly4X »

Unclejarhead

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 41
  • Member since Feb '19
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:40:21 PM »
 :clap2: thems some sexy doggies

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Mar 23, 2019, 09:39:16 AM »
Dear Gnarly,

I just wanted you to know that I am sitting at the vet waiting for the dog to get his anal glands expressed.

The end.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #53 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:26:43 PM »
Hey BD....

I'm sipping on a lemon-ized beer and eating sweet chili flavored pistachios right now.

The vet rarely has to do any anal gland expression on my two little dogs.

Have you had your fingers on your little amp knob today?... playing with Fletcher-Munson?  :gap:

Gnarls. :moon:

blackdiamond

• Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Mar 23, 2019, 01:57:30 PM »
Hey BD....

I'm sipping on a lemon-ized beer and eating sweet chili flavored pistachios right now.

Have you had your fingers on your little amp knob today?... playing with Fletcher-Munson?  :gap:

Gnarls. :moon:

:offtopic:

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #55 on: Mar 23, 2019, 08:45:57 PM »
:offtopic:

Sorry.... I thought you were talking about   :haha: anal expressions.

Gnarls.  :gap:

KauriJ

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 125
  • Female Posts: 32
  • Member since Oct '17
    • View Profile
    • Kauri's vacation photos
« Reply #56 on: Apr 21, 2019, 09:00:36 AM »
A common misconception I've encountered among dog owners is that it's fine for their dog to eat long pieces of grass. My parents' golden retriever once eluded our supervision and ate enough long grass that it caused her intestines to telescope while trying to digest the long grass, causing an emergency trip to the vet (fortunately, she was fine after surgery, and we kept her under close supervision afterwards).

I enjoyed seeing all the great dog photos! Once I have enough posts that this forum will allow me to upload photos, I'll post one of the two cute pups we recently fostered for Guide Dogs for the Blind.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #57 on: Apr 24, 2019, 07:48:40 PM »
A common misconception ...

I've been studying dogs for over 10 years.  The all too common level of misinformation, misconceptions, and pure ignorance about dogs, in every aspect of their existence, is shocking to me.

Gnarls.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #58 on: May 31, 2019, 03:31:52 AM »
A pet dog’s survival and healthy life totally depends on the owner.

For those who are interested in knowledge and educating yourself about your dog here are two of my favorite sources of information:

DogWatch – newsletter from Cornell College of Veterinary Medicine.  It is only $20.00 per year for a subscription published monthly.  It very informative, fascinating, and will educate you with the most current studies and research from a world class University.

http://www.dogwatchnewsletter.com/

Dog Food Advisor – a website:  https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/

DFA provides incredible information on dog food – and sends alerts to your email - when a dog food recall has been uncovered.  You may find it shocking to learn the number and frequency of dog food recalls and the type of toxins or fatal level of ingredients being sold to the general public who are most likely totally unaware they may be killing their beloved pet with tainted dog food.

"A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself." ~ Josh Billings

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2019, 03:39:54 AM by Gnarly4X »

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #59 on: Aug 03, 2019, 07:17:31 AM »
PLEASE take a few minutes to read this.

It could mean your pet's life or death!

https://criticalcaredvm.com/blue-green-algae-your-dog-a-colorful-toxin/

Gnarls.
« Last Edit: Aug 03, 2019, 08:33:32 AM by Gnarly4X »