Author Topic: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!  (Read 37892 times)

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,245
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
Re: For serious dog lovers and everyone else!
« Reply #150 on: May 17, 2022, 06:38:30 AM »
From the DogFoodAdviser:

Dear Fellow Dog Lover,

You're getting this email alert because you signed up on our website and asked to be notified. If you changed your mind, no worries. You'll find an "unsubscribe" link in the footer of this message.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration has issued a Warning Letter to Sunshine Mills, Inc. of Red Bay, Alabama due to significant safety violations which caused its products to be adulterated.

The company produces multiple dog food and dog treat brands.

For full details, please visit this link:

FDA Warns Dog Food Maker Due to Safety Violations - Multiple Brands

Best Dog Food May 2022

The Dog Food Advisor has recently updated the following pages:
•   Best Dog Food
•   Best Puppy Food
•   Best Fresh Food for Dogs
View The Dog Food Advisor's top picks in each of 38 categories

Please be sure to forward this important email to other dog owners.

Long live dogs.

Mike Sagman, Editor
The Dog Food Advisor
Saving Good Dogs From Bad Dog Food

P.S. Did someone forward this email to you? Get FREE lifesaving recall alerts by email. No spam ever. Cancel anytime.

Gnarls. :usa:
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #151 on: Jun 27, 2022, 04:59:12 AM »
A Happy Thought....

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26762
  • Male Posts: 3,514
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Jul 03, 2022, 11:56:11 AM »
I present otis..newest family member

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #154 on: Jul 15, 2022, 01:12:08 AM »
Dear Fellow Dog Lover,

You're getting this email alert because you signed up on our website and asked to be notified. If you changed your mind, no worries. You'll find an "unsubscribe" link in the footer of this message.

Stormberg Foods is recalling multiple dog treat brands due to potential contamination with Salmonella bacteria.

For full details, please visit this link:

https://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-recall/stormberg-foods/

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Aug 17, 2022, 08:14:44 AM »
14 weeks, 30lbs.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1209
  • Male Posts: 537
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Aug 18, 2022, 11:15:57 AM »
MY chair!
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure it'll fit........ Just needs a little brute finesse.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #157 on: Aug 19, 2022, 02:27:06 AM »
Otis looks like a pampered little boy. :thumbs:

He will be a super-fast sprinter. :gap:

What are you guessing his adult weight will be? :dunno:

Gnarls.  :usa:

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Aug 19, 2022, 08:58:37 AM »
Otis looks like a pampered little boy. :thumbs:

He will be a super-fast sprinter. :gap:

What are you guessing his adult weight will be? :dunno:

I'm guessing 70-75 lbs

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #159 on: Sep 06, 2022, 05:40:21 AM »
The Genius of Dogs  :gap:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=muFd_NzAWCI

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Sep 24, 2022, 12:37:29 PM »
Otis: 19 weeks. 48lbs.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #161 on: Sep 29, 2022, 03:13:55 AM »
Rabies and Rabies Vaccines

VERY IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR DOG OWNERS.

Please take a few minutes to read this:

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/65-ways-rabies-vaccination-can-harm-your-dog/

From dogsnaturally magazine:

DO YOU KNOW DOGS?

What's the only continent with no rabies?
Answer at the bottom of this….

WORLD RABIES DAY – ARE DOGS A RISK?

Did you know that the US has been officially considered free of canine rabies since 2007? The CDC formally declared it on World Rabies Day that year as a major public health success story.

Dogs are only about 1% of rabid animals reported each year in the US. While that sounds like a success, most vets and dog businesses still insist on up-to-date rabies vaccination before they work with your dog.

So while canine rabies virus is virtually a thing of the past in the US, rabies vaccination requirements seem like they are here to stay.

But in honor of World Rabies Day, here are some facts and figures about rabies incidence in North America. The statistics are from the latest (2020) rabies surveillance report by the American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The report was published in the July 2022 issue of the AVMA's Journal.

US CANINE RABIES CASES
In 2020, a total of 37 dogs tested positive for rabies: which is 44% lower than the 66 reported in 2019. More than half the rabid dogs were from Texas, North Carolina, Puerto Rico and Kentucky.

But despite strict import controls, in June 2021 a rescue group imported a rabid dog from Azerbaijan. The case was caught quickly and people and animals who were exposed received treatment. Nobody was infected, so the US is still officially free of dog-mediated human rabies.

Other domestic animals testing positive for rabies in 2020 included cats, cattle, goats, sheep, horses, a donkey, mule and ferret.

CANINE RABIES IN CANADA
2020 rabies testing in Canada found 104 positive rabies cases among wild and domestic animals. There were 3 rabies-positive dogs.

CANINE RABIES IN MEXICO
Mexico has also achieved a rabies milestone involving dogs, through a widespread vaccination campaign. In 2019, the WHO recognized Mexico as the first country to have eliminated dog-transmitted human rabies cases.  In 2020 only one 6-month old puppy tested positive for rabies.

CANINE RABIES WORLDWIDE
Despite the lack of rabies in dogs in North America, rabid dogs still cause nearly all human rabies deaths worldwide.

Around 59,000 people die of rabies each year. In African and Asian countries. 99% of human rabies cases come from dogs. But in North America, it's wild animals that pose the greatest risk.

WHICH WILD ANIMALS TRANSMIT RABIES?
In the US, raccoons, bats, skunks and foxes, plus the mongoose in Puerto Rico, are the only reservoirs of rabies.

There were 4,090 reported cases of rabies in wildlife for 2020 (5% less than 2019). Rabies-positive animals included 1,403 raccoons, 1,400 bats, 846 skunks and 337 foxes. 60% of all these cases were in Texas, Pennsylvania, Virginia, New York, North Carolina, New Jersey, Maryland and California.

Other rabid animals reported in 2020 were groundhogs, bobcat, coyotes, deer, otters, fishers, a coati and a cougar.

HOW DOGS GET RABIES
Rabies is a scary disease for any dog owner in an area with a lot of wild animals. But since rabies is only transmitted through contact with saliva, wild animal bites are the most likely way your dog could get rabies.

The CDC says that breathing airborne virus, touching an animal or contact with urine, blood or feces, are not risks for infection.

Any mammal can get rabies. Generally, if you see an animal acting strangely, be cautious. Animals with rabies may behave in unusual ways. Some may be aggressive or drool, other animals may seem shy, while others seem tamer and let you get close (don't!). If you see any unusual behavior, stay away and keep your dog away. Notify Animal Control if you see an animal behaving strangely like this.

But in most cases, you don't need to worry about rabies if your dog catches a chipmunk, squirrel, rabbit, mouse, mole, or rat. The CDC and other experts say it's very rare for these animals to carry rabies.

UNDERSTAND THE LOCAL RISK
An important factor in protecting your dog (and your family) from this deadly disease is knowing which wild animals most often carry rabies where you live. The official records show that if you live on the US east coast, the Eastern raccoon is the species that poses the highest rabies risk.

Throughout the middle of the country, all the way from North Dakota to southern Texas, skunks are the main rabid animal. This is also the case for southern California.

Arizona also has rabid skunks, plus foxes. In Alaska, the Arctic fox is a primary carrier, and in Puerto Rico, you’ll find rabid mongooses.

RABID BATS ARE EVERYWHERE
Rabid bats are found throughout the country, except for Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico. In 8 states they are the only rabid animal reported. And bats probably pose the greatest risk to humans, because people often don't know they've been bitten – or that bats can carry rabies.

In 2020, there were 5 US human deaths from rabies, and 4 were caused by bats. Bat bites often cause rabies in cats too ... even indoor cats. So try to keep bats out of your house!

WILDLIFE IN CANADA
In Canada, rabid wild animals are similar to the US … mainly skunks, raccoons, bats, foxes and Arctic foxes.

In 2020 there were infected raccoons and skunks and one bat in Ontario, and skunks in Manitoba.  Of greatest concern was a 2020 outbreak of rabies among Arctic foxes in Nunavut, the Northwest Territories and northern Quebec

MEXICAN WILDLIFE
Mexico had just a few cases of rabid bats and skunks in 2020.

RABIES VACCINE BAITS
The US continues to drop rabies baits in certain areas to try to prevent the spread of rabies in wildlife. More than 8 million oral rabies vaccines (ORV) target the Eastern raccoon virus variant in 13 states, as well as along southern borders to prevent the reintroduction of the canine-coyote virus variant.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Sep 29, 2022, 10:27:31 AM »
Don't need to worry about that anymore. Our pup is being euthanized tonight @ 6:00. What they need is a vaccine against cancer (Impossible really).
Brought to you by the WBC (World Billionaire's Club) because money is a bad thing. Let us carry that burden for you.

Sure I believe intelligent life exists on other planets. Other planets, not this one.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #163 on: Sep 29, 2022, 12:25:12 PM »
Don't need to worry about that anymore. Our pup is being euthanized tonight @ 6:00. What they need is a vaccine against cancer (Impossible really).

Ohhh deucie.... this makes my heart hurt.  I am so sorry to read this. :sad2:

Gnarls. :disturbed:
« Last Edit: Sep 29, 2022, 12:37:45 PM by Gnarly4X »

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Sep 29, 2022, 04:45:43 PM »
He's not doing good, so it's best.

It is a relaity chech for anybody that has pets.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Sep 30, 2022, 01:55:54 PM »
So, The Geeze went out peacefully enough. The tumor in his mouth was the size of a baseball. In two weeks it went from the size of a grape to the size of a baseball. It was time.
Sometimes the best thing you can do for your pet is the worst thing you can do. It really sucked.

Geezer was happy and friendly right up to the end. Great little pupper!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #166 on: Oct 19, 2022, 04:50:04 AM »
I clipped this from kneedownnate's post back in '06...

I'm sure most of us have seen this before, but it's pretty damn funny and worth reading again:

Excerpts from a Dog's diary:

8:00 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
9:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
9:40 am - OH BOY! A WALK! MY FAVORITE!
10:30 am - OH BOY! A CAR RIDE! MY FAVORITE!
11:30 am - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
12:00 noon - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
1:00 PM - OH BOY! THE YARD! MY FAVORITE!
1:30 PM - ooooooo. bath. bummer.
4:00 PM - OH BOY! THE KIDS! MY FAVORITE!
5:00 PM - OH BOY! DOG FOOD! MY FAVORITE!
5:30 PM - OH BOY! MOM! MY FAVORITE!

Excerpts from a Cat's diary

DAY 100 - My captors continue to taunt me with bizarre little dangling objects. They dine lavishly on fresh meat, while I am forced to eat dry cereal. The only thing that keeps me going is the hope of escape, and the mild satisfaction I get from ruining the occasional piece of furniture. Tomorrow I may eat another house plant.

DAY 101 - Today my attempt to kill my captors by weaving around their feet while they were walking almost succeeded, must try this at the top of the stairs. In an attempt to disgust and repulse these vile oppressors, I once again induced myself to vomit on their favorite chair...must try this on their bed.

DAY 105 - Decapitated a mouse and brought them the headless body, in attempt to make them aware of what I am capable of, and to try to strike fear into their hearts. They only cooed and condescended about what a good little cat I was..Hmmm. Not working according to plan.

DAY 108 - I am finally aware of how sadistic they are. For no good reason I was chosen for the water torture. This time however it included a burning foamy chemical called "shampoo." What sick minds could invent such a liquid? My only consolation is the piece of thumb still stuck between my teeth.

DAY 111 - There was some sort of gathering of their accomplices. I was placed in solitary throughout the event. However, I could hear the noise. More importantly I overheard that my confinement was due to MY power of "allergies." Must learn what this is and how to use it to my advantage.

DAY 120 - I am convinced the other captives are flunkies and maybe snitches. The dog is routinely released and seems more than happy to return. He is obviously a half-wit. The bird on the other hand has got to be an informant and speaks with them regularly. I am certain he reports my every move. Due to his current placement in the metal room his safety is assured. But I can wait; it is only a matter of time......

Gnarls.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: Oct 21, 2022, 01:45:07 PM »
We're looking at Aussy Mini Labradoodles. Looks like a nice puppy. We met a few and they were really friendly. Anybody have experience with these pups?

Pretty sure the cats will conspire against the puppy if we get it.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: Nov 16, 2022, 01:46:07 PM »
Otis is 6.5 months. 63 lbs. I think he stopped growing. Lol.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3754
  • Male Posts: 2,853
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #169 on: Nov 17, 2022, 06:01:12 AM »
Great looking pup!
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #170 on: Nov 30, 2022, 03:28:52 PM »
I think this is very interesting information about dog food.

Does brand size matter?

Hey, it's Mike.  (DogFoodAdvisor)

Happy Wednesday.

Today, a quick question for you.

Do you believe the size of a pet food company has anything to do with the safety of its products?

Well, after reading the comments of thousands of pet parents…

I've noticed that a large number of them tend to distrust larger pet food companies.

What's more…

Many also believe that smaller brands make safer products.

But is that true?

To answer the question...

A few years ago, my team and I took a critical look at all the recall data we had collected over a recent 5- year period.

And at the time of our study...

We learned that 93% of all the pet food sold in the U.S. was produced by just 3 companies… Mars, Big Heart, and Purina.

Yet 73 of the 88 recalls we recorded were linked to products made by smaller brands.

In other words...

Even though smaller companies produced just 7% of the pet food and pet treats sold… they were responsible for an eye-popping 83% of all the recalls.

What's more…

After studying these brands, it became obvious to us that…

A significant number of dog foods may not meet the nutrient claims printed on their labels.

That’s because many smaller companies don't have the financial resources needed to verify the nutrient content or the safety of the foods they sell.

What's worse…

There’s no regulation requiring any pet food company to do so.

Truth is…

No government agency monitors and tests dog food.

Not even the FDA.

The only thing the FDA requires is that pet foods "be safe to eat… contain no harmful substances, and be truthfully labeled".

And exactly HOW any brand achieves such a critical goal is left up to the company itself.

In other words… the honor system.

Which is like putting the fox in charge of the hen house.

And why…

The smaller the brand, the less likely a company is to have the budget needed to perform all the testing to ensure the safety and quality of its products.

In contrast…

Larger companies are far more likely to:

Employ real food scientists, animal nutritionists and other veterinary professionals to design their products.

Check raw materials for contaminants when they arrive at the plant.

Own and operate their own manufacturing facilities

Test and hold finished goods for disease-causing bacteria before they're shipped to consumers.

So...

Does that mean that dog foods made by larger companies are automatically superior?

Nope.

However, as a rule…

The smaller the dog food brand, the more critical it is for you to look beyond its label. And check out the company.

Which is why I recommend you always stop by The Dog Food Advisor website…

And check out our continuously updated Best Dog Foods... before you make a purchase.

None of our most recommended brands is the subject of a current recall or has received a recent warning letter from the FDA.

Well, that's it for today.

Until next week…

I'll continue to monitor the dog food market for recalls and FDA warnings…

And I'll be sure to let you know if anything important happens.

In the meantime…

Keep learning.

Mike Sagman, Editor
The Dog Food Advisor
Saving Good Dogs From Bad Dog Food

P.S. If you decide you're in the wrong place, no worries. You'll find a full unsubscribe link in the footer of this email. Or if you only want to get recall alerts and nothing else, click here.

P.P.S. Need help choosing dog food? Check out The Advisor's Best Dog Foods page. There, you'll find our most recommended brands in each of 39 different categories.

P.P.P.S. Did someone forward this email to you? Get FREE lifesaving recall alerts by email. No spam ever. Cancel anytime.

Unsubscribe | Change Subscriber Preferences
Copyright © 2022 Dog Food Advisor All Rights Reserved

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3754
  • Male Posts: 2,853
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #171 on: Dec 01, 2022, 05:55:44 AM »
Interesting read.........
Time to go wheelin!

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #172 on: Dec 03, 2022, 04:52:13 AM »
Here's a fascinating "60 Minutes" news report that should be viewed by EVERYONE, but especially all dog owners and those thinking about adopting a dog as their pet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGlUZWNjxPA

For those interested in educating yourself further here are some options:

I completed a Duke University online course from Dr. Hare about 7 years ago called "Dog Emotion and Cognition".

Recommended reading as part of the course, Dr. Brian Hare's best seller "The Genius of Dogs" is excellent read and look into the history of man's best friend.

Gnarly4X [OP]

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #173 on: Dec 12, 2022, 02:55:35 AM »
A very interesting article dog bowls.

https://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/best-dog-bowls-evaluated/

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: Feb 25, 2023, 04:27:36 PM »
9 months 75Lbs.

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: Feb 25, 2023, 06:05:58 PM »
We just got a 9 mo old puppy, probably weighs less than your pup's head!

sirdeuce

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Sep '06
  • One shot, one kill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: Apr 15, 2023, 09:21:59 AM »
Okay, so we got this pup, cute little guy for sure, and I think he'll be a good protector as well.

I was walking down the hall the other night, he heard a noise and saw a shadow! Man did this little pup raise hell! Right up until I came through the door. He jumped off the bed and made a B-line under the bed. Yeah, bravery unlike any other! But here's where he shows his ability in protection! The path from the top of the bed all the way under the bed was a wet trail. Good strategy! Get the intruder to come after you, through the wet trap, and wait for the threat to slip and break it's neck.

Took 2 hours to clean up Rags's trap. (Little guy's name is Rags, Dirty Rags. He looks like a pile of dirty rags when he's just laying there. Havanese mess.)

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: May 12, 2023, 04:24:32 PM »
Happy 20th  birthday augie..

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: May 24, 2023, 02:19:51 PM »
Otis turned 1 years old couple weeks ago. 75lbs plus..

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: Jul 13, 2023, 05:13:02 PM »
13 months old.. Otis gets almost 5 miles a day of walking. Keeping us healthy..