Author Topic: 2 quick questions  (Read 3217 times)

jared A

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
2 quick questions
« on: Apr 03, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »
im going to be doing my sas real soon so i have soe quick questions.

1. the shock mounts that come with marlins kit, do they go on the axle or on the frame crossmember??

2. how do i disconnect the front Dshaft from the Tcase? i tried for like 30 min and i couldnt get the extention or the wrnech on the socket, i have an air impact wrnech so i want o use that, but i dpnt know what to do to get to the bolts? :smack:

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: 2 quick questions
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2005, 06:47:21 PM »
From my experience, you have to use an open end wrench, its the only thing that'll fit
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2005, 06:55:59 PM »
the crssmember is in the way though so i dotn get it

i have a 3rd question. do you guy shave wheel locks on your wheels? are they worth the money, if someone wants somehting they will get it. i have them on my tacoma , i just have rockcrawlers with 32s on it and i have CHEAP chrome plated steel wheels i painted black wheels with 35s on my 4runner

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2005, 10:39:17 PM »
no hes right, u use 2 wrenches
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2005, 10:44:51 PM »
I dont have wheel locks right now, but I will when I get new tires.  They work, and IMO they are worth spending the extra cash.  At my jobsite there was a laoborer had a lifted chevy, and it wouldnt start so he got permission to leave it there overnight.  Next morning, it was sitting on its axles, all the wheels stolen, and the stereo gone. :rivers:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2005, 10:47:20 PM »
that sux
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2005, 10:58:40 PM »
I have wheel locks and will keep them for ever. 
To answer your questions:

1. shock mounts attach to the frame, not the axle.

2. use 2 wrenches to take the 4 nuts and bolts off.  depending on what year it is it is either a 12mm or a 14mm.  Sometimes you can use the closed part and sometimes it won't fit.

3. Invest in wheel locks, they will save you big time.

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Apr 04, 2005, 02:12:22 AM »
personally i think wheel locks are a waste of money. if some one really wanted them its not too hard to brake off a lug, there for making the wheel lock pointless :dunno: it also depends on your wheels, like mine the lug nuts are resessed into the the wheel so they cant really be broken off but with the rock crawlers there exposed and can be broken off with a hammer :_order:
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

86 4runner

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Feb '05
  • SAS
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Apr 04, 2005, 02:24:56 AM »
its just one more  precaution i guess, so if it will help you sleep a lil better at night i say go for it

I dont have wheel locks right now, but I will when I get new tires. They work, and IMO they are worth spending the extra cash. At my jobsite there was a laoborer had a lifted chevy, and it wouldnt start so he got permission to leave it there overnight. Next morning, it was sitting on its axles, all the wheels stolen, and the stereo gone. :rivers:

i would never leave my truck  over night. :nonono:  thats  :screwy:  if i couldnt get it started or something i would find a way to get it home or sleep in it. i have an alarm that will page you up to a 1 1/4 mile away if the alarm goes off, lets you know if some one opens a door, hood tailgate and what not. i never leave my car if i cant check the status of it on my remote unless its safe in my driveway
86 4 Runner SAS, 37 inch Toyo M/T's, E-Locker rear, Lock Right front. 30 spline Longs, 5.29's, Dual Cases, Warn XD9000i

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Apr 04, 2005, 06:39:30 AM »
thats why i dont know if i should get wheel locks or just take the tacomas off, if u slam a socket on a lock nut they can still take it off so i dont know what to do.

Haz-matt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -86
  • Male Posts: 33
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Jefferson State
    • View Profile
    • Haz-matt.com
« Reply #10 on: Apr 04, 2005, 07:55:06 AM »
thats why i dont know if i should get wheel locks or just take the tacomas off, if u slam a socket on a lock nut they can still take it off so i dont know what to do.

Move to some place else?

It's kind of strange.  Where I am, you can leave things in the woods for weeks and they will be just fine.  2 branch valleys over (Sunny Valley) you can't leave something next to the all night gas station.

But then again no body wants my 20% tread baja claws on rock rashed camo wheels.
I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.

Bloomcounty

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 115
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 04, 2005, 09:58:02 AM »
Is the motor out of your truck that you are trying to remove the front shaft from ? I just junked out a 87 auto tranny truck and had a hell of a time getting the shaft out ! then I realized that the tranny and transfer case  hanging down was putting the universals in a pinch  so I couldn't get on them with a socket ! I jacked the tranny up and then I could get the impact wrench on the with a wrench on the back side ! but either way theirs not much room in their ! I also seen in my chiltons where they were using one of those bent wrenches , but I diddn't have any of those .  :thumbs:

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 04, 2005, 05:08:59 PM »
i live in a good area, but there are the occastional low life theives...

the engine and trany are still on the truck, i will have to give the wrench a shot

bruiz05

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -59
  • Male Posts: 177
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Make it or Break it!
    • View Profile
    • myspace
« Reply #13 on: Apr 04, 2005, 05:34:07 PM »
I worked for many differant tire places, my opinion is if they want them they will take them but it would be a good i dea to invest in the wheel locks if you want to either deter them or make them work for it.  It takes just as long to remove a locking lug as it dose to remove a standard lug.  Your choice better safe than sorry!  I have them on my rig ( those mother *uckers will work for my stuff )
1984 toy, e-lockers f/r, 5.29 yukon gears, 30 spline longs, custom 5" suspension, 37-14.00x17 bias Iroks,17x9 spyder locks, marlin bumper and sliders, T-Max 10,000lb winch, mc07-r10 dual cases w/4.7's in the rear, flat bed, GOT PROPANE, six states .250 wall drive lines and custom 2 1/4" exaust

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 05, 2005, 05:37:12 PM »
I have wheel locks and will keep them for ever.
To answer your questions:

1. shock mounts attach to the frame, not the axle.

2. use 2 wrenches to take the 4 nuts and bolts off. depending on what year it is it is either a 12mm or a 14mm. Sometimes you can use the closed part and sometimes it won't fit.

3. Invest in wheel locks, they will save you big time.

imconfused, i called marlin today and they said the shock mounts go on the rear axle and i connect the shocks in the stock location. im really confuse, i thought they set it up so i can do this.../ \

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #15 on: Apr 05, 2005, 09:55:53 PM »
wheel locs rock...the first night i had my 84 the 15x10 alums and 32x11.50 BFG A/Ts with 95% tread were ganked...wheel locks and never look back...

synwars

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 360
  • Male Posts: 485
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Fabbing with Maffy
    • View Profile
    • Can you feel the love?
« Reply #16 on: Apr 05, 2005, 11:55:09 PM »
imconfused, i called marlin today and they said the shock mounts go on the rear axle and i connect the shocks in the stock location. im really confuse, i thought they set it up so i can do this.../ \

Yeah Im pretty sure in the Marlin kit it includes a U-bolt flip kit which would require you to relocate the lower shock mounts. Keep em as low as possible for longer travel, which means on the top of your axle tube just behind the spring pack.
"Don't let common sense stop you..."

Build up thread:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=11425.0

KEEP IT CLEAN PEOPLE!!! :bat:

jared A [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Apr 06, 2005, 04:41:08 PM »
i would put both of them on the back if i was doing /\ but im not doing that so one front one back right?