Author Topic: 1200lb Clutch question  (Read 6397 times)

Tay85Runner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
1200lb Clutch question
« on: Jul 07, 2016, 02:13:36 PM »
I received my 1200lb clutch kit for my W56 and with it came the input shaft for the transmission... Do I need to change that out or if the one already in the transmission is good can I just keep using that one? Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks

OVRAROK

• Online Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,522
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
Re: 1200lb Clutch question
« Reply #1 on: Jul 07, 2016, 02:21:53 PM »
I received my 1200lb clutch kit for my W56 and with it came the input shaft for the transmission... Do I need to change that out or if the one already in the transmission is good can I just keep using that one? Any help would be much appreciated... Thanks

you sure that's not the clutch alignment tool
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

Tay85Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 07, 2016, 02:28:38 PM »
imdont think so if it is its one I have never seen before. It looks exactly like the input shaft and made out of the same metal it has a gear and what looks like a sprocket at the base. If I have enough posts I would put up a picture

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 07, 2016, 02:30:51 PM »
imdont think so if it is its one I have never seen before. It looks exactly like the input shaft and made out of the same metal it has a gear and what looks like a sprocket at the base. If I have enough posts I would put up a picture

I don't think that comes in clutch kit, somebody must have accidently dropped it in your shipment

Tay85Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 07, 2016, 02:32:40 PM »
Yeah that's what I was thinking I just googled it and it is the input shaft... I counted the teeth and the have the same amount just figured I would ask... I would really hate to take the trans back out and apart... Thanks for the help

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Jul 07, 2016, 05:37:29 PM »
You could always use it as a clutch alignment tool..............

:think:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Gnarly4X

• Online Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5134
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Jun '16
  • 4-wheeling vicariously.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #6 on: Jul 08, 2016, 04:33:58 AM »

You should not have to change the input shaft unless it's damaged, worn badly, or bent.  I agree with O, input shafts are NOT typically part of new clutch kit.

So, you already have the tranny into the bellhousing?  I guess I'm wondering why you would ask the question AFTER you already put the tranny back in?  Mechanic's remorse? :confused:

Gnarls.
1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

God Bless Our Troops... Especially Our Snipers. The 2nd defends the 1st
MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Tay85Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 09, 2016, 03:44:38 AM »
Gnarls- No I have not hooked the tranny back up to the motor yet... The motor is still on an engine stand... I read to change that input shaft you have to disassemble the tranny that's what I meant by I don't want to take it back out as I just put it up in the frame with supports... When I ordered the kit I thought I was just getting a clutch and then that part came with it so I wanted to check before I put the motor back in... Thanks again for all the help everyone...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #8 on: Jul 09, 2016, 03:54:38 AM »
Gnarls- No I have not hooked the tranny back up to the motor yet... The motor is still on an engine stand... I read to change that input shaft you have to disassemble the tranny that's what I meant by I don't want to take it back out as I just put it up in the frame with supports... When I ordered the kit I thought I was just getting a clutch and then that part came with it so I wanted to check before I put the motor back in... Thanks again for all the help everyone...

Hi T,

OK, sorry I misread your statement " I would really hate to take the trans back out and apart.."  that you may have already installed the tranny??

Have you done a clutch job before this one?

Gnarls.

1986 XtraCab SR5 22RE 5speed W56B, ~16,000 MI after break-in, DIM (Did It Myself) rebuilt engine - .020" over, engnbldr RV head, OS valves, 261C cam, DT Header. https://imgur.com/oACTHTR

MEMBER: WWP, T2T, VFW, NRA, GOA, SAF, Mammoth Nation, C2 Tactical, Hillsdale College, Humane Society of the U.S. - "We cannot solve our problems with the same thinking we used to create them." ~ Albert Einstein

Tay85Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 10, 2016, 05:43:11 AM »
Gnarls- I have helped with clutches before but this is my first clutch job on my own and in this 4Runner... So I am still learning things along the way... I have a FSM to go by for most things and ask as many questions as possible...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #10 on: Jul 10, 2016, 07:19:04 AM »
Hi T,

I'm just curious, what clutch kit did you buy?.. Brand and source?

Thanks,

Gnarls.  :spin:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jul 10, 2016, 09:58:13 AM »
Does the part look like this?

Then it is a clutch alignment tool.  https://www.marlincrawler.com/hardware-tools/tools/clutch-disc-alignment-tool

But if it looks like this, then you do have the W56 input shaft.

I would be leaning on the alignment tool.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Tay85Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jul 13, 2016, 11:58:48 AM »
Gnarls - I bought the 1200lb clutch I bought it from Marlin Crawler as a kit.

Cheesemaker - the extra part I have is the second pic that you posted. Thanks for uploading that as I don't have enough posts to put up pics yet. I am not sure why I got the W56 input shaft I was going with Gnarls and figure that it just got shipped to me on accident.

thanks again everyone for the help hopefully I will be putting the clutch on and the motor back in this weekend.

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jul 13, 2016, 12:04:27 PM »
have you contacted MC regarding extra parts?, there probably some guy waiting to fix his truck

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 13, 2016, 02:58:32 PM »
have you contacted MC regarding extra parts?, there probably some guy waiting to fix his truck

They were probably "out of stock" after inadvertent shipping this one.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #15 on: Jul 13, 2016, 05:12:37 PM »

...  hopefully I will be putting the clutch on and the motor back in this weekend.

Thanks T,

I'll be installing my tranny & t-case back in hopefully within a couple weeks.  Would you mind explaining your exact procedure starting with prepping the tranny and installing the pilot bearing, aligning the clutch disc, bolting on the pressure plate, sliding in the input shaft through the clutch disc, etc, etc.??

Thanks,

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jul 13, 2016, 05:37:09 PM »
For removing pilot bearing, I use bread, yeah, that's right bread. I've cut off the square part of a 3/8 extension. Pack hole in pilot bearing with bread, then tap cut extension into hole, and repeat, it will eventually push pilot bearing out, easy clean up too

Tay85Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jul 13, 2016, 06:30:47 PM »
Gnarls - yeah once I get it in ill post something up or I will send you a PM... I plan on using the FSM/the install procedures on Marlins website/then top all that off with buddies and beer... But yeah as I said I'll post something up with pics and lessons learned...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #18 on: Jul 13, 2016, 07:49:18 PM »
For removing pilot bearing, I use bread, yeah, that's right bread. I've cut off the square part of a 3/8 extension. Pack hole in pilot bearing with bread, then tap cut extension into hole, and repeat, it will eventually push pilot bearing out, easy clean up too

Hey o,

Bread??... just curious....??.... French, Rye, Potato, Whole Wheat, Multi-Grain, Oak Nut,....??... OHHHHH.... I know!.... Wonder Bread!!

So my pilot bearing inside diameter where the tip of the input shaft slides into is .472".  My Craftsman 3/8" socket extension is .464", so the difference is .008", will that be tight enough tolerance to pop out my P-bearing? 

I've read posts by guys who have used that method with grease.  My last clutch job I used a little pilot bearing puller and it would just barely pull it out. 

It's not that I don't believe it's possible, I'd just like to see a video clip, or in person, demonstrating the hydraulic method of removing a pilot bearing.

Gnarls. :spin:

« Last Edit: Jul 13, 2016, 08:02:56 PM by Gnarly4X »

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jul 13, 2016, 08:49:56 PM »
Ive always soaked strips of newspaper in water and hammered it in with a bolt.  Same concept as the bread method and works good

OVRAROK

• Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jul 13, 2016, 09:06:33 PM »
Hey o,

Bread??... just curious....??.... French, Rye, Potato, Whole Wheat, Multi-Grain, Oak Nut,....??... OHHHHH.... I know!.... Wonder Bread!!

So my pilot bearing inside diameter where the tip of the input shaft slides into is .472".  My Craftsman 3/8" socket extension is .464", so the difference is .008", will that be tight enough tolerance to pop out my P-bearing? 

I've read posts by guys who have used that method with grease.  My last clutch job I used a little pilot bearing puller and it would just barely pull it out. 

It's not that I don't believe it's possible, I'd just like to see a video clip, or in person, demonstrating the hydraulic method of removing a pilot bearing.

Gnarls. :spin:

I use whatever bread is available

Tay85Runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jul '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Jul 16, 2016, 03:15:20 AM »
Just as a heads up got an email from Marlin Crawler about getting that input shaft. They told me to just keep it and use it as an alignment tool if I wanted to. So I will prob just throw it on a shelf with other random spare parts I have for the 4rnr...

Gnarly4X

• Member since Jun '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me some coffee
« Reply #22 on: Jul 17, 2016, 06:33:34 AM »
Hey Tay85Runner,

Have you lubed up that old input shaft and slid it in yet?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #23 on: Jul 25, 2016, 10:32:40 PM »
I have used oily blue shop towel crammed in the pilot bearing. it works best I think with grease though.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

BoG-ToY

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 594
  • Male Posts: 2,122
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Jul 29, 2016, 04:25:10 PM »
I use an input shaft as a clutch alignment tool, only because I dont have an alignment tool, and I do have an input shaft
Sand, what fun, drop pressure to 12psi, stock tires are still digging, can't afford to get stuck, 8psi, still not working. Find a place to GET OUT, air up, un-lock hubs,  WAIT whats this, hubs are UN-LOCKED already. 2wd, 8psi, stock tires, Oregon sand dunes.