Author Topic: Scott Wilson's 1988 4Runner Build, Version 2.0  (Read 115677 times)

swilson

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Here we go!  DC Custom Fab has already done what I was thinking, but using box tubing.  After seeing this I think I also will be going with box tubing.

I borrowed this photo from his thread on Pirate.
Scott Wilson - TLCA #5261
1966 FJ40 [sold] - Click for Build thread
1988 3RZ 4Runner - Click for Build thread
1964 FJ40 TBD

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,052
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Here we go!  DC Custom Fab has already done what I was thinking, but using box tubing.  After seeing this I think I also will be going with box tubing.

I borrowed this photo from his thread on Pirate.

That's the guy that built my 4Runner back in his college days. This ones going to be pretty trick.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
:popcorn: ill watch this one, i like it already! i miss my hiluxs
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
So nice that the heat wave broke, I could actually get a solid day of work in on this thing.

Lost a few hours to getting a rebuild finished off that I was doing on an SM420, but now it's ready to go to the new owner.  No SM420 for the 4Runner... it was a spare for my FJ40.  Then I got to cutting away the stock frame.

Parts of the frame in the area of my cut were a double thickness.  To fit the 2" wide tubing within the stock frame those double thick areas must be cut away.  Then I found that just to the rear of where I'm marrying the frames there's a panel entirely blocking the inside of the frame, this panel is just far enough back it's not affecting what I'm going at all.  Just thought it was a curious thing.

I decided to reuse the factory front body mounts, so I used the plasma cutter to remove them from the frame.

1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
 I'm using 3x2", 3/16" wall tubing for the new frame section. I wanted to avoid straight lines across the frame, so I did a curved cut.  This left enough overlap of the two frames to use a hole saw to make some cuts so I can have some additional welds between the two frames.

I'm using a 2" body lift on this build.  This is mainly to let me lift the drivetrain.  Since the 3RZ is a tall motor that will help, and it will also keep the transfer case away from the rocks.  The other benefit is it will let me raise the very low stock gas tank 2" so it will sit at the height the p/u tank sits at.

I don't see any reason to keep the 2" body lift on the front mounts so though, so since the new frame section will be entirely new, I'll build it to fit on the stock front mounts with no body lift pucks.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Woo Hoo!  Haven't gotten this much done in one week ages!

Finished building the new frame section and got all of the new section fully welded.  Ran out of time and had to head into work for some mandatory overtime (grrr) before I could weld the new frame into the old. 
1964 FJ40 TBD

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 569
  • Male Posts: 1,554
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
Sweet
If you see it, its for sale.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Hell ya!!
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Yeah that is cool.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26866
  • Male Posts: 3,505
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
 :popcorn:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Thanks!

Forgot to mention, the front crossmember and rails ended up being 3" higher instead of 2".  Figured if I was gonna raise it at all, why not go as high as I could with the stock body mounts.  I sliced up the stock body mount so I could get another 1" of height for the frame rail.
« Last Edit: Jul 06, 2016, 09:34:39 PM by swilson »
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Been getting my F250 ready for a camping trip, so not too much to report on the 4Runner.  Did a rebuild on the NP271 xfer case... this 1 ton gear is massive when you're used to seeing Toyota stuff.  Here is the NP271 output shaft with a Toyota 30 spline for reference.

I did get the new and old frames welded together and beefed up the lower edge with a plate.  I ran out of steam before I could put the additional bracing in that I plan to do.  Happy to have it off the jack-stands, so I can roll it out of the way again.
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Between summer camping, a motorcycle purchase, and fighting off some nasty respiratory infection all month, I'm definitely behind on this project!

I'm retiring a high mileage BMW R1200RT I use as my commuter and just purchased a much newer version of the same bike.  2 weeks ago my 9yr old daughter and I flew to El Paso TX to get the bike, and rode it home over 4 days.  We took lots of time to see the sights, visited some National Parks, and rode some Route 66 too.  Definitely a trip to remember!

Today my 4WU 3-link kit was delivered.  The quality of this kit looks great.  I need to get some time set aside to start installing it!
1964 FJ40 TBD

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
You're going to want to trim that fat section of frame under the A-pillar.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
You're going to want to trim that fat section of frame under the A-pillar.

Tell me more... Is this to clear the lower links?

1964 FJ40 TBD

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Yes

IFS frame thickens vertically at the A pillar.  Its about an inch or so. Cutting it off and plating it so that it resembles the straight axle frame will help with your up travel numbers.

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Yes

IFS frame thickens vertically at the A pillar.  Its about an inch or so. Cutting it off and plating it so that it resembles the straight axle frame will help with your up travel numbers.

Thanks for the info!
1964 FJ40 TBD

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Well I had a hell of a week.  Woke Friday to my house on fire!  I ran out to find the corner of the living room where the entertainment system was, engulfed in flame.  We got the kids out safely.  I tried to use a fire extinguisher on the fire but the super heated air in the room blistered my bald head and right hand.  I could only grab my wallet and few guns from the safe before I ran out too.

The house is a total loss.  Even the fire-rated gun safe couldn't hold it back.  Most all of the remaining safe contents are destroyed.  The fire wall at the garage held pretty amazingly good for how hot this fire was and the garage contents were largely spared.  My new parts got soaked and rusted, but they didn't get cooked and are totally still usable.  So, it looks like this project will live on.

We lost everything.  Not a room was spared except the garage.  I miss my inaugural :turtle: Round Up shirt so much!  LOL   But seriously, I'm only upset about the non-replaceable family-stuff.  Insurance is there to replace the rest of the crap.  It's just those little nick knack things your kids made for you when they were in kindergarten and photos on the walls that really get you riled up because there's no way to replace those.  I'm very blessed that all of my family got out safely.

I'm working on finding a rental house now.  That should get us back to a sense of normalcy.  Then we can start looking into rebuilding the house.  I imagine this project won't be on the trail next season as planned.

:usa:  Now go check your fire detector batteries and go buy that fire safe you've always known you need but don't want to spend the money on.
1964 FJ40 TBD

daniresch

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 930
  • Male Posts: 761
  • Member since Apr '11
    • View Profile
WOW.. Glad everyone is okay!
1988 Blue Std Cab: SAS, Longs, HP/ARB/5.29 Front, ARB/5.29 Rear, Marlin Dual Ultimate w/ 23 Spline MC07XD-R10, Marlin 30 Spline Front & Rear Output Shafts, Dave's Triple shifter, FROR crossmember, Bilstein 12" f+r, RUF w/ 63s, 7in bob, 40x13.5x17 MTR's on Racelines Monster Beadlocks 17x9.5

build: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=80954.510

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3672
  • Male Posts: 2,845
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Good to see everyone made it out alive!
Time to go wheelin!

84 yota dude

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 170
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Dang, good thing everyone is ok

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
That sucks... But looks like Yoda was watchin out for your build! Glad your family is safe, and I'm putting a fireproof safe on my list!
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Thats incredible that you guys were able to make it out of that. Keep your head high and rebuild.
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Feb '04
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
Holy :pokinit: dude. Glad you guys are okay. How did it start?

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Must be electrical.  When I got to the living room, the corner by the entertainment center was on fire.
1964 FJ40 TBD

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Can you show us pictures of the safe? And what brand it is?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
Looks like a nasty burnt, warped, box made of steel.  The only photos I have are of the inside and I'm not sharing those.  The interior looks like it was it was cooked in an oven.  A few of the loaded magazines got hot enough to warp.  I wouldn't trust any of the guns or magazines after seeing as much heat as they did.  The photos I had pinned on the door are unrecognizable.  The patches on the door are smokey and discolored.  I got a few items off the floor of the safe that were in great shape... big temp difference between the top and bottom.  It was a Liberty Safe.  The investigator said my fire was way up there as far as the scale of hot fires go... so the safe really got cooked.
1964 FJ40 TBD

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Dang, sorry to hear that. Thanks for being willing to share what you have. Would you suggest a 20 lb or possibly a 30 lb fire extinguisher for those of us who currently only have a few 2.5 lb extinguishers around the house?

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
From the line of work I'm in I experience fires more often than I'd like. You can NEVER have too many extinguishers. The only way I would consider one too large is if you cannot physically carry it.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

swilson [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
    • My 1966 FJ40 Build Up
I'd concentrate on making sure you've got good fire safes, have new batteries in your smoke detectors, and backup all your photos to the cloud, or at least someplace other than your house. 

A go-bag is a nice idea too. Stuff you need immediately to keep things moving in the right direction.  Copies of your IDs, cash, a credit card, keys to all your cars, etc. 

I mistook a watch with a metal band for my keys in the chaos.  As a result we couldn't move my wife's car and the front of it melted.  Now we are without a car 2 weeks and have an auto claim as well... Sure wish I had grabbed the keys!

Oh... I guarantee I'll do better lighting in my next safe.  My last one ran off wall power, so when the fire took out the power my safe was dark, which was why I missed the keys.  The next one will have LED lighting with a good sized battery powering the LEDs.
1964 FJ40 TBD