Author Topic: 22re getting hot still after new headgasket maybe bad head??  (Read 6771 times)

Tibbets34

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
so i bought a 2wd 22re like a year ago. ran great for about 8 months, then one night going home it started to get warm, so i replaced the thermostat, drove it the next day and still was getting warm. So next thing i did was the water pump and fan clutch. still got hot. so i did the head gasket, took the head down to napa and had it reserferced and cleaned, Got the Engnbldr gasket set and replaced about ever gasket on motor. I used there head gasket beacuse i heard good stuff about them. so got it put back together, people said to use RTV around where the timing chain goes down the block, so i put some RTV around that area. Got it going ran great. drove it down the road and never got warm, drove it to work the next day and it was running kinda wired and got hot? ive drained the oil like 3 times to get everything out and checked it when i got to work and the one thing i didnt wanna see was the white on the dip stick. So the oil has water in it.. So i confused and almost thinking the head mite be cracked or????  ANY HELP WOULD BE AWSOME!! thanks!
1982 Toyota 4x4, 22r with weber and lce header, 4.88s, locked, 5125 bilsteins around.

zippo

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 550
  • Male Posts: 1,556
  • Member since Nov '08
    • View Profile
    • oppiz.net
When it is running are the radiator hoses bulding or overly ridget? That is a sign of a crack/head gasket. I am also assuming you checked the timing cover and water pump. That is another area oil and water could meet. But in the end, sounds like you will be pulling the head off again.
If you see it, its for sale.

Tibbets34 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ya I checked everything and it all looked good. Everything in the cooling system is like new except for the radiator but I had that check out and the radiator guy said it was good.
1982 Toyota 4x4, 22r with weber and lce header, 4.88s, locked, 5125 bilsteins around.

:)bestgen4runner

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 1,796
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ok I am willing to help.
First question.
Oil is milkshaked?
Did you use timing cover gaskets from engnbiuler? Or silicon only?
Answer I we can move on to tests
I am 1/5th of Perfect Fit
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck
Mudder [08:28 PM]:   not try to be a jerk, but are you serious bestgen?
Prismo [06:11 PM]:   Done, time to relax or as Bestgen says....FREEDOM!
HogCanyonHopper [06:54 PM]:   I like my little rod. it gets the job done
H8PVMNT [03:30 PM]: I can go both ways.

Tibbets34 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I used good ol Rtv, buddy did it with his 22r when he rebuilt it and hasn't had a problem for 2 years..

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
That's your problem
I would put money on it.
I have seen gasket and small amount of "rtv" but just rtv not going to work.
Sorry,
SqWADoosh [04:19 PM]: *sigh* I guess Chris is right and I just need to wait until I'm in a place where I have a tow rig and trailer before I get this caliber of truck

Tibbets34 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
What should I use then?? I read up on a lot of forms about people re doing there headgasket and a huge amount of them used Rtv.. Next time I do it gonna go wih the OEM toyota head gasket. And gonna have it tested for leakes and crackes at napa.. Any advice?

Prismo

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 8403
  • Member since Oct '03
  • Living in the green house
    • View Profile
Toyota head gasket is a good idea, I usually use the timing cover gasket with rtv. We did a buddies head & he didn't want to pay the 50 bucks to check the head, guess what, we had to pull it again. Had it tested, small crack that only was evident with a pressure test on the head. I always have heads tested now before a rebuild, saves you money & time in the end. As someone else mentioned if the chain has worn a groove in the timing cover on the drivers side it can leak there.
Retired Great White Turtle Hunter
Originally posted by fortysixandtwo – sheesh, you should see the transvestites i sell ammo to sometimes

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
run it with the heater full blast and see if it stays cool.
That's a tell tell of a bad radiator, if it stays cool Id replace rad.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
The only way to do the timing cover reseal portion of the job.
Toyota factory timing cover gaskets, small amount of Toyota fipg on gasket surfaces.
Make sure block and timing cover are flat using a strait edge and feeler gauge.
Head gasket tips. New head bolts, clean out head bolt holes in block, use factory head gasket.
Use copper coat gasket spray on head gasket before install.
This is how it's done a my dealership.
More questions?

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I've replaced the timing cover without removing the head........

Used gaskets and ultra grey/black
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Yes, it can can be done that way.
Bit 1/2 ass, but?
Your call.

Tibbets34 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Ok well iam gonna dig into it agian and take the head off and go get it tested for crackes or leaks. If it's cracked I know where a nice newer head if for $100.  And get a Toyota OEM headgasket. Which gasket sealer is the best? Thanks guys for the help!

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Toyota fipg. you can buy it at any Toyota dealer.
It is not rtv or silicone. It is made from magic Toyota stuff that they will not release to the public.
It is bye far the best. Many of my fellow technicians in the aftermarket buy it from me because they will not use anything else. 

Tibbets34 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sweet I'll go grab some of that. Any other suggestions before I tare it down agian? :-\

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
There is no such thing as to clean.
Put the metal guide kit on that engine builder offers.
If you end up needing a new head buy it from engine builder. (hands down best you can get for the money)

drs22r

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Possible air is trapped in the head/round the juggs.. Purge n top off coolant.

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
so i bought a 2wd 22re like a year ago. ran great for about 8 months, then one night going home it started to get warm, so i replaced the thermostat, drove it the next day and still was getting warm. So next thing i did was the water pump and fan clutch. still got hot. so i did the head gasket, took the head down to napa and had it reserferced and cleaned, Got the Engnbldr gasket set and replaced about ever gasket on motor. I used there head gasket beacuse i heard good stuff about them. so got it put back together, people said to use RTV around where the timing chain goes down the block, so i put some RTV around that area. Got it going ran great. drove it down the road and never got warm, drove it to work the next day and it was running kinda wired and got hot? ive drained the oil like 3 times to get everything out and checked it when i got to work and the one thing i didnt wanna see was the white on the dip stick. So the oil has water in it.. So i confused and almost thinking the head mite be cracked or????  ANY HELP WOULD BE AWSOME!! thanks!

Never seen air in cooling system cause milk shaked oil. Please explain???

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Toyota fipg. you can buy it at any Toyota dealer.
It is not rtv or silicone. It is made from magic Toyota stuff that they will not release to the public.
It is bye far the best. Many of my fellow technicians in the aftermarket buy it from me because they will not use anything else. 

Ditto.  I'd been told for years to use the stuff, then finally did on the pan when I swapped engines in my truck around 8 years ago.  Any time I've looked I've yet to see a leak in that area.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!