Author Topic: BigMike's Big Journey: A 2016 Tacoma Build Thread  (Read 561638 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
And... did you at least stop by Braum's?
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
that three blink thing is from truckers fed regs.  They will bust your :moon: if you dont blink at least three times before changing lanes and after running a jerk off the hwy in GA that would NOT move despite me moving over, then slowing down then speeding up the jerk would do the same thing.  A GA state police came over CB19 and asked if i was listening.  I said yes. he said blink three times and then move over like I dont see him at all. I said I didnt want to hurt the guy and he moved left so I could see him in my left mirror.  I said OKAY, blinked three times then jerk went into the extremely wet ditch.   the cop stopped and told me he was going to give him a ticket for failure to yield.  A mile up the road I dropped the hammer so I could get OUT of state just in case.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
So what axle are you gonna put under it? '83, '85?  Linked or sprung? :thumbsup:

I would think early Tundra
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
I would think early Tundra

I meant front axle ;)
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
I meant front axle ;)

He's going to run IFS.........

:cheese:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

redneckcustoms13

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 7674
  • Male Posts: 2,513
  • Member since May '15
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
For the 1st year or so according to the earlier post.
83 long bed 2wd sas, 3rz, w56, duals with 4.7 rear, 4.88 elock front, spartan rear, 39.5 iroks
01 double cab hunting truck
06 tacoma street truck

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 388
  • Male Posts: 267
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile

Factory alarm
I have a question: Where is the alarm? I tested it and it appears to only be a keyless entry system. No audible alarm, no hoking of the horn or flashing of the lights. There is a sticker on the driver's side window that shows soundwaves emitting from the vehicle, but so far I haven't figured out how to enable the "alarm". I have this same issue with our 2013 Yaris.

Two ways I tested it:
1. Remove key from ignition -> Open door then close door -> "arm" system -> Flip the door lock lever to the unlock position by hand -> have a friend open the door from the outside -> Nothing happens.
2. Roll window down halfway -> Remove key from ignition -> Exit vehicle -> Close door -> "arm" system -> Reach over the window and manually unlock door as above -> Open door from outside -> Nothing happens.

Unless the system is smart enough to know that the door was unlocked inside by the flip lever, it is not working. How do I enable the Tacoma alarm from silent mode to alarm mode? Thanks

Did you wait at least 30 seconds after locking & closing the doors?  It should set off the alarm by unlocking from the inside.  There are some which come with only a partial system installed.  The dealer tech has to install a hood switch or jumper, as well as a Glass Breakage Sensor.  Then they can use the Techstream to turn on the Theft Deterrent system.

If you already happen to have a hood switch, it may just need to be turned on.  Here's another reason to make a visit to Hanford.  :D

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Turtle Points: 2124
  • Male Posts: 18,289
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
Thank you all for the comments :thumbs:

So what axle are you gonna put under it? '83, '85?  Linked or sprung? :thumbsup:
He's going to run IFS.........
For the 1st year or so according to the earlier post.
To be honest when I first drove the truck off the lot and around the city a bit I was thinking....wow....this thing is going to be a Rock Crawler? But now after a couple days driving it I can definitely see it, and what's more is that I think it should go SAS sooner than originally planned. Still need to think it over. It probably won't happen before the Round Up, but winter would be a nice time to make it happen.

With the autolocking doors, don't they unlock when you, the driver opens the door even if it's still moving? and don't all the doors unlock?
If I open the driver's door nothing happens. The passenger door remains in it's current position. I have not tried opening the doors while moving. But I will, you know, for science :sly:

Does your steering column telescope as well as tilt? Blew my mind when I discovered this on my 06 double cab.
HA! I haven't even thought about this or even if it has a tilt wheel!! :rofl2: Will check in the morning :yesnod:

About that hood... There are plenty of people on Tacoma World who will give you cash plus their non-scoop hood for yours!
This. I have seen exchanges done and am planning to do this should my opinion remain.

Does it have heated side mirrors or an auto-dimming rearview mirror?
Yes and yes! That post turned into one crazy long reply. No wonder I'm behind with updates :conf:

In the long run, you will probably realize having all the electronic nannies associated with the Off Road package would not have fit with your plans.
Interesting. I was thinking to swap in an entire 2016 Off Road rear end. Currently no one makes gears for the new rear differential. So I'll be waiting for that too...

And... did you at least stop by Braum's?
Had to look this up and am sad to say I did not :(

that three blink thing is from truckers fed regs.
Woah, very interesting, thank you very much for the info!

Did you wait at least 30 seconds after locking & closing the doors?  It should set off the alarm by unlocking from the inside.
Toyotadon, excellent tips! I did not know about the 30 second timer and will give this a shot. I'm sad to say I've only had the hood open twice thus far. Will check for a sensor tomorrow :thumbs:
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
The curious things...

- I do not like how the air vent mode auto-reverts to main vents only upon each and every time the truck is started.
It seems that by the third day the air vent mode no longer auto-reverts! Very happy to see this. I don't think I'm taking crazy pills; I clearly remember having to switch back to half main + half feet vents more than once.

Here come some pics from yesterday's drive: Keeling, TX to Boerne, TX.

Woke up to the truck's first bath.

Beautiful

Pic of both doors open. This is something I could never do with my '81. This stuff would be in the back getting wet. So happy to have an Access Cab! I'm planning to remove the rear seats as I don't intend to use them and I'll gain a tad more interior storage.

Moar random pics

Visited the largest Pecan in the world, only in Texas. The construction sort of ruined it

Cut'n it close! Back home I'll intentionally run it out of gas to see how many miles after this it will go. (I'll have a 2.5 gal can of fuel prepared for the occasion.)

This truck has a very nice range: 362 miles on the first tank. And I'm not even sure if it was entirely full to begin with (picked it up from the dealer with it "full").

It took 18.87 gallons and averaged 19.3 MPG for the first tank.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
As the truck is built in Texas and I had originally planned for the factory tour, there was no way I was gonna skip at least going to the factory after having come all this way!!

Welcome to Toyota Motor Manufacturing, Texas, Inc.

This place is huge with multiple gates!

The original plan was to go to the visitor center but missed it's closing time of 4pm by a mere 30 mins. It's okay, I plan to be back through Texas with the Tacoma in October for this year's Southern Cruiser Crawl.

Here we are outside the Visitor Center

And behind me is the birthplace of this very truck! Can't wait to return for the factory tour in October!

I was hoping to get a sweeeet picture of the Tacoma in front of the Alamo Mission but the road was closed off and there were a few police cars in the area so no chance. My wife grabbed this pic of it while we drove by slowly.

And one last pic at our hotel before going in side in case I forget just how good looking the truck is :)

That's it from yesterday!

Truck is running G-R-E-A-T. Power delivery is very smooth and entering freeways at 80 MPH before merging is not an issue. The six speed is a breeze to accelerate from green lights via 1st -> 3rd -> 6th as I do so often in my MR2.

Also, got a small list compiled from the second day of driving :D

The curious things... Part II
  • The Hazard button is nicely located in front of and slightly to the left of the shift lever. Great location.
  • Regarding the Alarm, the truck does indeed know if the door lock lever has been manually flipped by hand because it won't try to auto-lock once up to speed in this case.
  • I cannot adjust the climate temperature when the blower fan is turned off. Why? Every older Toyota I've driven has this feature: When operating with only the outside vent, I can go from heater or ambient air temperature. I can't believe the Tacoma does not allow this. So if I want to have warm outside vent air, I'll have to first turn the blower fan on, adjust the temp up, then turn the fan off. Very silly.
  • Driving lights turn off when the high beams turn on. Same thing occurs with our Yaris. I don't care about the Yaris, the wife drives that. I will fix this issue on the Tacoma soon enough ;)
  • The center/main interior dome light cannot be disabled, it only has two positions: 'On' or 'On when door(s) open'. Just thought this was weird.
  • The stock exhaust seems to be waking up just a tad. Seems to be more noticeable which is nice.

Ok, off to sleep now in New Mexico. Got more pics from today's progress that I'll try to post tomorrow!

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2016, 09:16:13 PM by BigMike »

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda

It took 18.87 gallons and averaged 19.3 MPG for the first tank.

You still had over 2 gallons.......

:yupyup:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
I meant front axle ;)

hmmm, why not FJ60 front??

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda

To be honest when I first drove the truck off the lot and around the city a bit I was thinking....wow....this thing is going to be a Rock Crawler? But now after a couple days driving it I can definitely see it, and what's more is that I think it should go SAS sooner than originally planned. Still need to think it over. It probably won't happen before the Round Up, but winter would be a nice time to make it happen.

Where's the challenge in a SAS?

Keep IFS

Add IRS

Add Rear Steer

:driving:
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
If I were to have a Tacoma, I would definitely look into All-Pro's long travel setups.  Jon is always showing that its capable off road.  Plus he has the Expedition rear leafs.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

Rockcrawlintoy

• 4 doors for more whores
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 2120
  • Male Posts: 2,336
  • Member since Dec '03
  • RIP Kyle
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda

You know it will be a diamond.
Resident Jeep Guy
2007 JKU All Stock
ECV 7-11

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile

- The center/main interior dome light cannot be disabled, it only has two positions: 'On' or 'On when door(s) open'. Just thought this was weird.

On my buddy's double cab, the front switch turns off the rear light as well.

bcoop2004

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '04
  • I hate quotations. Tell me what you know.
    • View Profile
With regards to the autolocks- I have a 2016 Tundra with the Entune and there is a screen called Vehicle Customization (or similar) that let me change how the autolocks work.  Mine are set to lock at 15mph.  Not sure if the Tacoma has the same option. 

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
If I were to have a Tacoma, I would definitely look into All-Pro's long travel setups.  Jon is always showing that its capable off road.  Plus he has the Expedition rear leafs.
Have already spoke to Jon about it. This is the route I'll be going initially.

On my buddy's double cab, the front switch turns off the rear light as well.
Thank you for the pic, I have this as well but this turns all the lights off, not just the front map lights. Where I'm coming from is that if no one is getting into the back of the cab then why waste the life and electricity to power the back bulb? Disabling it if desired seems like a normal feature of a dome light, but the only two positions of it's switch are 1) On when Door(s) open, and 2) On.

With regards to the autolocks- I have a 2016 Tundra with the Entune and there is a screen called Vehicle Customization (or similar) that let me change how the autolocks work.  Mine are set to lock at 15mph.  Not sure if the Tacoma has the same option. 
Ahhh! Thank you! I found this option and disabled it! :thumbs: :thumbs: Also found many options for timeout on interior lighting as well as auto headlight sensitivity setting (which I reduced as much as possible).
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2016, 05:10:12 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Had a couple more from San Antonio I forgot to post :P

First time in a parking garage

Another night outside a hotel

Toyotadon

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile

Thank you for the pic, I have this as well but this turns all the lights off, not just the front map lights. Where I'm coming from is that if no one is getting into the back of the cab then why waste the life and electricity to power the back bulb? Disabling it if desired seems like a normal feature of a dome light, but the only two positions of it's switch is 1) On when Door(s) open, and 2) On.

Understand your point.  Just think how much Toyota saved by not putting that extra position on the switch.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Thursday, April 21, 2016: Boerne, TX to Deming, NM

On Thursday we drove from Boerne, TX to Deming, NM. Marlin had warned me of how incredibly boring the drive is but somehow the single 8 hr stretch just to get out of Texas didn't seem that bad.

The GRN305 about to wake up for it's third day ever with me

Stopped at The Magnolia Pancake Haus for breakfast (https://www.yelp.com/biz/magnolia-pancake-haus-san-antonio-3), food was excellent.

Some A**hole bird defecated on the new truck!

But fortunately we were soon driving through the heaviest downpour I've ever driven in. It was insane. Wipers were on high and we still couldn't see anything. Everyone had slowed down to about 25 MPH and some drivers had pulled off the interstate to wait it out. If there was ever a time I needed some Rain-X... This picture was before it got crazy:

Went over to the Cibolo Nature Center which promised such beauty as this and this but it was still raining pretty good when we got there so we did a fat muddy burnout and split. Sorry no video. Wife grabbed this pic on our way out:

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2016, 09:18:24 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Some shots along side Nimitz Lake

Figured I would check out the 2GR-FKS again. Was impressed how little water had gotten in. True, any water contacting engine parts would have evaporated, but that rain was craaazzzyyy heavy. Thinking about it now, I should have checked the air box.

Door VIN tag. Made In Texas this very same month! I plan to weigh the truck soon.

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2016, 06:12:28 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Stopped at USA's Easter Island and Stonehenge

Guadalupe River

« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2016, 06:10:58 PM by BigMike »

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Texas travel centers are the closest I've seen to the amazing variety Japanese equivalent road-side "quickie marts" have. But American travel stops still have a looooooooooong ways to go.

More misc pictures

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Second tank of gas. No lock on the fuel door nor the fuel cap. I'll get a locking cap.

Finally got to the El Paso area and we stopped at the Cattleman's Steakhouse at the famous Indian Cliff's Ranch, http://www.cattlemansranch.com. Food was most excellent. We walked the entire ranch while waiting to be seated and checked out a lot of animals. They were even breeding Rattlesnakes. Had like 10-20 rattlers all in one cage. Was really neat.

Found some coveted shade in Texas

Checking out the awesome Llamas

Inside they had a small Texas El Paso History Museum and a ton of Hollywood related memorabilia. This is the hallway leading to the bathrooms...

Which included such brilliant Hollywood classics as Lone Wolf McQuade, filmed right on this ranch!

Was really neat reading all the history of this place.

BigMike [OP]

• Administrator
  • Member since Apr '02
    • View Profile
Finally at our hotel in Deming, New Mexico. Day #3 in the books!

Averaged 20.8 MPG doing 85 MPH (speed limit out here is 80 MPH). I thought that was pretty amazing for 85 MPH....however these 265/65R17 tires are tiny.

« Last Edit: Apr 26, 2016, 08:16:04 PM by BigMike »

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
Can't believe you came to Texas, picked up your truck, then drive right by my house on your way to Marlin, TX and didn't even let me buy y'all lunch... Lol good looking truck Mike you are gonna love it! I am loving my new 2016 just wish it had a manual transfer case like I mentioned to you on Tacomaworld.

On a side note are y'all going to be back in Texas to wheel/events any time soon?
Edit: try to see you and yours in October.
« Last Edit: Apr 25, 2016, 07:08:04 PM by redpim1 »
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Probably didn't even get to enjoy Braum's :(

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,725
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
Second tank of gas. No lock on the fuel door nor the fuel cap. I'll get a locking cap.

Are you sure that it doesn't lock when the doors are locked? Many new cars have this feature.
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

Redbeard1

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Male Posts: 414
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
    • Project Pete
Probably didn't even get to enjoy Braum's :(

I bet not. Best ice cream there is.
If you dont stand behind our Troops... you can stand infront of them...
Project Pete==> http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=43370.0
85 Toy: Built 22re, locked F, spooled R, 5.29's, R151F, MCO7 duals, Sky x-member 37 MT/R's on jack stands  

RIP Bobby Long