Author Topic: Connecting rod off center  (Read 1835 times)

wideopenoutdoors

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Mud makes me horny
    • View Profile
Connecting rod off center
« on: Jan 26, 2016, 04:46:18 AM »
Does anyone know how much  a connecting rod can be off center of the cylinder bore before it causes problems? The engine build I want to do puts the #1 and #4 rod journals and thus the rods a little off center of the cylinder bore.
when in doubt throttle out

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
Re: Connecting rod off center
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2016, 07:28:39 AM »
I would guess probably not much. Are you talking thousandths of an inch or like 1/4"?  What are you doing, stroking it?

I would talk to some body with experience building this kind of thing. Most of us on here are doing pretty basic builds.

Have you looked into the 20r/22r hybrid?
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

wideopenoutdoors [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Mud makes me horny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2016, 09:16:14 AM »
i have a 20/22r hybrid with a weber 38 and a cam, when I swap to my extra cab im going to build a monster 20/22r hybrid from the motor I have now. I think it will be around 1/4 inch off but im not sure...

if its off too much I think my engineering friend can make a stroker crank in the engineering labs here on campus ( they have everything in there!!!!)

( and no I don't want to swap a 3rz in it)

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:03:25 PM »
I would try to get some tech on the crank thing from some racer types or talk with an experienced machinist who has done stroker cranks.  I honestly have no idea if it would cause a problem or not.  Just seems like it might make a rough running, unbalanced engine.

I got an LC stroker crank by accident last year and I sold it to a guy for $400.  Kind of wished I would have kept it around but I just don't want to build a strung out engine.

I am probably the only guy on here that thinks this way but after running a 22re, a 3RZ and a carb 22r of the three I am liking my carb 22r the best of all of them.   I just played around with the main jet and I picked up 10 mph on hills finding the proper jet.  It's so fun to be able to tune on your lunch break with no electronics using only a screw driver and one wrench.

You need to get ahold of Glen (79coyotefrg I think).  He's the guy in the hospital right now.  He is the resident 20r hybrid/weber/make my Toyota snap speedo expert.
« Last Edit: Jan 26, 2016, 12:11:27 PM by H8PVMNT »
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

wideopenoutdoors [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Mud makes me horny
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 26, 2016, 12:45:53 PM »
I will get a hold of him, im considering some other builds that arent as radical (though not by much) to do instead

The motor i planned on stroking would have more stroke than the lc stroker and requires alot and i mean alot of machining to the block, crank, rods, oil pump gears, basically everything except the head lol the off center is the only thing that cant be machined out i want to do this particular build because i want the biggest 22r i can make without doing a complete swap, bigger is always better except in women