Poll

Plan on using this for family camping/daily driver... Should I bob the front of the bed and try to fit it behind the excab, or should I flatbed it?

Bob the front of the bed and throw it on, it'll be awesome!
You could try bobbing the bed, but if that doesn't pan out, go flatbed..
Just flatbed it, you're wasting your time trying to reuse the bed.

Author Topic: Hi! Figuring out this forum stuff..  (Read 3606 times)

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Hi! Figuring out this forum stuff..
« on: Jan 25, 2016, 08:21:44 PM »
Yup, I'm swapping on an 89 extra cab onto my 93 standard cab truck... Or in short: #excabswap

I bought my truck about a year and a half ago. Completely stock 1993 Toyota pickup. The previous owner threw on some deep dish alloys and 31s, and the 22RE needed a new HG..

So after buying it, I contacted Tod (ENGNBLDR) since I lived in Vancouver, WA, and we worked out a decent price for a full machine and rebuild  :D
After a month or so driving around on 3 cylinders, my accountant (wife) finally gave me the go, and I tore out the engine and dropped the tranny.

After another month and a half, I had her all back together. Somewhere along the way, I found some wiggle room in the budget to have:
Doug Thorley send me their Tri-Y header,
Centerforce Clutch,
Resurface Flywheel,
Rebuilt/cleaned injectors,
ENGNBLDR 261 cam,

and after that, I had an exhaust bent and welded in.

Fast forward to today:
Rear ARB, electric idle up from a 3.0 A/C idle up, Belt driven York OBA setup, Full LED conversion (except headlights)...

Aaaaaand... ExCabSwap!

My buddy James who's helped me out with this whole thing! (despite him owning/loving jeeps  :therethere: )

Welding on the rear cab mounts:

Relocating the ECU:

And I'm working on the transmission tunnel:

With my new Marlin Crawler  :turtle: Short throw kit, with a fancy new knob:

Well, sorry for the huge post, hope it's ok lol... Lemme know what you guys wanna know/ see more of, and I'll do my best to make it happen!
Hopefully I can inspire/show someone else that the excabswap isn't just some unicorn lol.. At least not for me  :nana:
« Last Edit: Jan 27, 2016, 11:52:13 PM by pgragg »
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Hi! Figuring out this forum stuff..
« Reply #1 on: Feb 24, 2016, 12:06:54 AM »
Know a couple guys that did this and they went flatbed or just a roll cage and tire carrier
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Dingman.

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1125
  • Male Posts: 3,448
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 24, 2016, 04:48:59 AM »
Are you going to plan on moving the rear axle back at all?  I have seen a few xtra cab swaps.  Some of them look amazing and some of them not so much.  A guy near here has one and it looks goofy to me how much he had to bob the front of the bed to make it work.  Others i have seen i never noticed that, so i wonder if they moved their axle back a bit so the front of the bed was a little longer?  I don't know,  either way you are doing something a lot of people talk about! Im sure it will look good with whatever you do!

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 24, 2016, 01:43:42 PM »
With you planning on it being used for camping, building a flatbed will likely be the better option as you can design it to hold all your trail gear(tools, recovery gear, spare parts, 2nd battery, etc.), without reducing the space for all your camping gear.
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

SqWADoosh

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 10966
  • Male Posts: 2,417
  • Member since Oct '14
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 24, 2016, 07:09:39 PM »
Interested to see where this goes :popcorn:

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Feb 25, 2016, 03:03:37 AM »
As far as the bed, I plan on bobbing it for now. Moving the rear axle will have to wait a few years at least. Once I get another case setup with 4.7s, and a rear 4 link kit ready, I'll start on that... Hopefully I can install the second case, then move the rear axle back accordingly to keep my same driveline length, and use the 4 link to move it back the 10-14 or so inches, and flat bed it then... I'm hoping I'll be able to get the frame down by then to about 25", and raise up the trans/tcases a bit too... But that's years from now haha... I'm beginning to realize just how "long term" this truck build will be and I love it!

For the future, here's where I'll be posting my build:
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100087.0

Finally figured out the forum a little better, so I put the build in it's proper-ish place :D

Good to know that some people are interested. Finished up drilling and installing the last 10 or so rivet nuts for the trans tunnel tonight, and covered the plates in dynamat and topped them off with permatex rubberized undercoating.  Going to be on the road in a week or so I hope!
Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

OTO Phil [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '16
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #6 on: Feb 25, 2016, 11:24:50 PM »
With you planning on it being used for camping, building a flatbed will likely be the better option as you can design it to hold all your trail gear(tools, recovery gear, spare parts, 2nd battery, etc.), without reducing the space for all your camping gear.

Also, on the topic of camping, I have the extra cab donor frame sitting here, I was considering hacking it up, and building an offroad camping trailer with it... Maybe throw a rooftop tent on it and house the electric cooler, water tank, extra storage etc. in the trailer... It's already setup for chevy 63s...

PNWYOTAS

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 54
  • Member since Mar '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2016, 02:32:52 AM »
Looking forward to seeing the progress on your build.  :biggthumpup:

63W

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2016, 09:40:26 PM »
I say go for the trailer build to,that would be a sweet set up.